Spinach, Mushroom & Feta Crustless Quiche

I’m a big fan of savory breakfasts and this one might be my new favorite. It has endless possibilities and is a cinch to make. …plus, it reheats well in the microwave for a quick dinner!

A quiche is basically an egg and milk custard filled with all sorts of other things (usually cheese and vegetables). Traditionally, quiches are baked into a pie crust but I felt that I had enough cheese in here to cover my fat ration for the day so I just skipped the crust. If you want your quiche in a crust, make this super simple 60 second pie crust.

To make this recipe extra economical, use vegetables that are in season and on sale for a low price. You can do bell peppers, squash, broccoli, anything. I had some mushrooms that I had planned to use for my slow cooker marinara, but forgot about, so I used them in this. I also had leftover feta, parmesan, and mozzarella, so in they went! Lastly, I bought a super inexpensive box of frozen spinach. I probably went overboard on the cheese but I had it on hand, so I had to use it up!

Spinach, Mushroom & Feta Crustless Quiche

Spinach Mushroom Crustless Quiche

spinach, mushroom & feta crustless quiche

• 8 oz. fresh mushrooms $1.99
  • ½ tsp minced garlic $0.06
  • as needed non-stick spray $0.02
  • 1 (10 oz.) box frozen spinach $1.09
  • 4 large eggs $0.83
  • 1 cup milk $0.39
  • 2 oz. feta cheese $0.87
  • ¼ cup grated parmesan $0.39
  • ½ cup shredded mozzarella $0.50
  • to taste salt & pepper $0.05
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. If your frozen spinach is not already thawed, thaw it in the microwave. Empty the box into a colander and let it drain while you begin to prepare the rest.
  2. Quickly rinse the mushrooms and slice them thinly. Place the sliced mushrooms in a skillet coated with non-stick spray, add the minced garlic, and sprinkle a little salt and pepper. Turn the heat on to medium-high and saute the mushrooms until they release all of their moisture and no more water remains on the bottom of the skillet (5-7 minutes).
  3. Spray a pie dish with non-stick spray. Squeeze the rest of the water out of the spinach and spread it out on the bottom of the pie dish. Next add the cooked mushrooms and crumbled feta.
  4. In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs until fairly smooth. Add the milk, parmesan, and another small sprinkle of pepper. Whisk to combine. (This step can be completed while the mushrooms are cooking) Pour this mixture into the pie dish over the spinach, mushrooms, and feta.
  5. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over top. Place the pie dish on a baking sheet for easy transfer into the oven. Place the quiche into the preheated oven and bake until it is golden brown on top and the center is solid. Every oven is different but this should take between 45 minutes and an hour. Slice and serve!

spinach mushroom feta crustless quiche

drain spinachThe key to preventing a soggy quiche is to reduce the moisture in your vegetables. This is why the spinach is squeezed dry and the mushrooms get cooked before adding to the quiche. I start by draining the spinach in a colander and then squeeze the rest of the moisture out before adding it to the dish.

fresh mushroomsNext, move onto the mushrooms. Sometimes pre-sliced mushrooms are the same price as whole, but not this time around…

slice mushroomsSo I washed and sliced my own. I usually cut them in half first (to get a flat surface) and then slice them.

cook mushroomsMushrooms are like sponges that are secretly holding a lot of water, so you need to saute them before adding them to your quiche. I just placed them in a skillet coated with non-stick spray (and a little garlic for flavor) and then sprinkled them with salt and pepper. Just a touch. The salt will help draw out the moisture.

cook mushroomsTurn the heat onto medium or medium high and saute them (cook while occasionally stirring) until the water cooks out. This picture is about half way through the process. You’ll notice that the bottom of the skillet is covered with water that has seeped out of the mushrooms. Just keep cooking past this point until most of that water has evaporated off and the bottom of the skillet is relatively dry. This should take about 5-7 minutes, depending on how hot your skillet is. You can prepare the custard (egg and milk mixture) while you’re waiting for the mushrooms to finish.

fill pie dishCoat the inside of a 9 inch pie dish with non-stick spray. Squeeze the rest of the water out of the spinach and place it in the bottom of the dish along with the cooked mushrooms and feta cheese… in no particular order.

whisk eggsTo make the custard, begin by whisking together four eggs until they are fairly smooth and uniform in texture.

add milk and parmesanNext whisk in the milk and parmesan cheese… and a little more pepper or any other herbs that you might like.

pour on custardPour the custard mixture over the vegetables in the pie dish. Oh, and the quiche is much easier to get in and out of the oven if it’s on a baking dish, so I put it on there before pouring in the liquidy custard mixture.

mozzarellaSprinkle on more cheese (mozzarella in this case) if you want… again, I probably went overboard on the cheese but boy, was it tasty ;)

bake quicheBake the quiche in a preheated 350 degree oven until it is golden brown on top and the center is no longer liquid. This will take anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour depending on your oven. Just start checking it at 45 minutes. You’ll notice as it cooks that it begins to puff up a bit. It will deflate once it comes out of the oven but the “puff” is a good way to tell which areas are cooked and which are still liquid.

spinach mushroom feta crustless quicheSlice and serve! (I prefer mine with a healthy dose of sriracha!)

1. Penny Sue says:

Mine is in the oven smelling wonderful. Just waiting for my hubby to come home! Can’t wait to try and rate this!

• Penny Sue says:

It is soooo good. I’m still waiting for my hubby to get home from work, but had to try a sliver. Normally I’m not a fan of feta cheese, but I’ve never had it in anything baked. I really liked this recipe. The possibilities of cheese combinations are only limited by your imagination! In fact, the feta I used was a sun dried tomato and basil feta. Perfect! Thank you so much for your endeavors in the foodie world. I truly will look for more foodie fun from you. PS

2. Anya says:

Very tasty! Thank you!

3. I can’t tell from the photo. Do you use a regular pie plate or deep dish? Thanks.

4. Stacy says:

This is delicious! I like that’s there’s no crust, and I don’t feel guilty eating other things with it. I’m making it a second time tonight, with a salad and some pork chops.

5. I made this last night. It was so good. I’ve made many quiches, but nothing like this one before. I’m doing low carb, so the no crust worked out great. The sautéed mushrooms, spinach and cheeses make a great combination. I also used whipping cream because it only has 1 carb. Very good. Glad I found this recipe!

6. I added onion and used fresh spinach (threw in when onions, garlic and mushrooms were about finished) and used cheddar and a little grated Parmesan. It turned out amazing!!

7. Jessica says:

Well, we shall see. I used canned mushrooms (sauteed in squeeze garlic), heavy cream (it was getting ready to expire), farm fresh eggs, frozen spinach, shaker parm cheese, colby jack and mozz. I’m all about the ease of preparation but with wind chills at -35, I decided that I wasn’t going out of the house today. I used what I had. I’ll let you know if my combo was terrible or not! LOL!!

• Jessica says:

I couldn’t even tell that the mushrooms were from a can so I’d say, use what you got. I think fresh always taste better but if you are snowed in and you’ve got cans, go for it!!

• Jessica says:

Oh, and I rinsed the canned mushrooms VERY well.

8. Purplelady says:

How many calories per serving? How much is a serving?
    thanks, gonna try try this looks yummy!

9. Korinne says:

Made this yesterday, with 6 ramekins as I need single serves.

Tastes nice, but I don’t know whether I did something wrong. My egg mixture has gone quite bubble and a bit ‘shiny’ looking. I did have trouble trying to judge whether they were cooked, so I don’t know whether that comes into it.

10. Jenny says:

I made this tonight. Used some shakable parmesan to save money. It was really good!

11. Abbey says:

So I’m scrolling through my pinterest ‘recipe’ board, printing out all of the recipes I’ve tried and that my family love so that I can put them into my recipe binder and safe to say most of them are from your blog! I haven’t had one fail me yet. Your dishes are amazing, tasty, and so damn easy! Plus I’m saving $$ having them in our meal rotation!

Basically, I love your blog, and your recipes. Thank you & keep up the amazing job!

12. Crust-lover! says:

i love the crust on quiche, do you think this recipe will work if i added crust to the bottom of the pan? Would I have to cook for longer?

• I think I would bake the crust first, then pour the quiche in and bake again (the time listed in the recipe). I haven’t tried it though, so that’s just my best guess! :)

13. Beautiful fresh broccoli at the farmer’s market this morning. I’m going to lightly steam some and try that.

14. Natasha says:

Made this with fresh spinach, and it turned out great.

Kids didn’t even try it, as they are 3 and 6. But this was a wonderful breakfast to wake up to couple of days in a row.

15. Ditta says:

hey, guys! does anyone think this could be somehow pulled off using jarred mushrooms? I have lots of that on hand and I thought I’d use them up with this recipe. since this is BudgetBytes, I might as well be as thrifty as I can!

• Yes, you can just drain them and sauté them up very briefly with garlic to add flavor. They’re already cooked down, so this step will be very quick. :)

• Diane M. says:

Just a suggestion not to rinse the mushrooms beforehand. Mushrooms should never be rinsed or washed. Just use a mushroom brush or any pastry brush over the whole mushroom to remove any dirt or debris. This is all that is needed. Also I wouldn’t suggest using canned or jarred mushrooms as they have too much liquid in them. Nothing like the real thing !

16. Madeline R says:

Since I will be the only one in my house eating it, how many days can it be refrigerated?

17. Sarah M. says:

Ugh you are so cool! I love this recipe and I love that you’re a micro nerd like I am!

18. Noona says:

Just made this, it came out amazing thank you so much for sharing! I added garlic powder instead of the fresh, and put the mushrooms in raw, and it was perfect!

19. Shaina says:

I’ve made this a few times now for the baby I nanny (and her parents!). The first time she wasn’t a huge fan, so the second time I switched it up a little. The main change I made was to do it in muffin tins, it’s juuuuust enough to fill 12 and it makes it easy to portion out and bring for lunches! I also have been adding a bit of ricotta to the eggs, for added creamy-ness and protein; might even do cottage cheese next time. I also chop the mushrooms up more so they are easier for her to eat with only four teeth! Lastly I have played with the cheeses–the last batch I used cheddar on top instead of mozz, and this time I’ve put goat cheese in with the feta because I didn’t have enough feta. Kid loves cheese so I’m sure she’ll like it!

• Kara says:

Did you change the baking time or temperature when you made them in the muffin tin?

• shaina says:

Yes, I kept the temp the same but cut the time…It ended up being around 30 minutes, but I started checking at 15. Just kept going until the centers were firm and the cheese on top was browned.

20. Cynthia says:

When you put eggs in a dish, why call it a Veggie dish?

21. Jennifer says:

This looks delicious and I want to try it for our Christmas breakfast. Can I prepare it the night before and bake it in the morning?

22. Just wanted to say that I love this dish and make it frequently. We sometimes add a little chopped bacon to the mushroom sauté which adds even more flavor. Thanks for this recipe!

23. Sue T says:

I love this dish. I make it with fresh spinach, which I wilt in the pan when the onions and mushrooms are done. I love a touch of lemon juice in this as well. Made it for myself, then made it for family overnight guests. They loved it, and I liked having my guests wake up to delightful smells in my kitchen and a warm breakfast. Thank you for posting this recipe.

24. Emily M. says:

Beth, You made my month when I found your recipe. When we were first married, we ate a lot of crustless quiche because neither one of us care for pastry crust. We found a recipe that just uses cooked potatoes, much like mashed without the butter and milk. We put a thin layer in the baking dish and layer from there. We’ve not had ANY issues with sogginess and we’ve made this 3-4 times this month already! I always have fresh spinach and goat cheese so this was my substitution and they both worked wonderfully but you’re correct in saying the “dryer, the better.” Thanks again for this wonderful go-to recipe. It is now our comfort meal. Looking forward to your continued posts. Emily

25. Happy Saturday! Just letting you know I featured this recipe in my monthly round-up of 25 Deliciously Healthy Low-Carb Recipes from October 2015. Hope a lot of my readers will come over here and try it!

26. David says:

Have you ever made this in a cast iron skillet?

• I have made similar recipes in my cast iron and it works well. You might have to adjust the baking time slightly.

27. Phill Zorza says:

Any carb count or nutrition info on this recipe?

28. Could you freeze this?

• Egg dishes are just so-so when frozen. They sometimes tend to seep water upon reheating because the eggs get a little over cooked.

29. Rebecca says:

Can I use egg whites instead of eggs?

• I won’t work quite the same because the fat and natural emulsifiers in the egg yolk help keep the texture even in the final product. Whether an egg white only version will still be palatable to you personally is a matter of taste. :)

30. Erwin says:

Thank you for this great recipe. I made this today.

I used fresh spinace and I solved the problem from the excess moisture with using cocos flour in the egg/milk mix. I also used almond milk instead of regular, this went well.

I recommend using organic eggs for this recipe, for better taste.

31. hi! I was just wondering if anyone has frozen this quiche after they’ve baked it, so it could be eaten later? If so, how did it turn out once you thawed it out? Thanks!

I made this recipe on Sunday and have been enjoying it every morning so far. I added a little bit of breakfast sausage to mine and it’s delicious. Thanks!

32. Barbara says:

How do I substitute frozen broccoli in place of the frozen spinach?

• Let it thaw completely and try to dry it off, if possible (pat a little with a paper towel). I would also maybe chop the pieces a bit smaller.

33. Mrs Ugez says:

I made this recipe tonight (added a few things) and it was DELICIOUS! Absolutely a great recipe that I will be making again.

34. Love the ideas of making good food on a budget

35. Antonia says:

Did I actually just make this quiche and have it turn out absolutely perfect? Why yes, yes I did. It was delicious. Thanks again for a great recipe I will certainly be making again! Made mine with this crust: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-pie-crust/ which took literally 30 seconds extra. I wanted to make the one you suggested but don’t have a food processor and figured it wouldn’t be the same. So proud that I can make quiche now! ;)

36. Lisa says:

My kids and I tried this and enjoyed it. We are going to use a pie crust next time and maybe include some bacon.

37. Wai Ling says:

It was delicious! I used fresh spinach, cooked together with the mushrooms. We loved it. Thank you!

38. Cindy says:

Can’t wait to try this. Can you use unsweetened Almond milk in place of the regular milk? Also I’m not a big fan of Feta cheese, can I use goat milk cheese? Also, I’d be interested in the nutritional info for this recipe.

Thanks

• I’m not sure about the almond milk because it doesn’t have as much fat as the dairy milk I used (2%), but goat cheese will definitely work (I LOVE goat cheese). I don’t have the nutrition info, but there are several websites that will calculate recipe nutrition info for you. Just google “recipe nutrition calculator” to find a few.

39. Daniela says:

This looks so delicious!

I was wondering if you have a suggestion on what you could substitute the mushrooms for?

• You can almost use any type of vegetable that you want in this recipe. Just make sure to sauté it like I did with the mushrooms to prevent having too much moisture.

40. Katy W says:

This recipe was DELICIOUS. I am currently trying to lose weight (13 lbs so far!) and I am on a low carb, high protein diet and this recipe was perfect for me. :o) Therefore, I use MyFitnessPal.com and I regularly put your recipes in on their website to find out the calories per serving. I was ecstatic to find that most of your recipes are pretty low calorie and low fat (with some substitutes). In this recipe I used skim milk and nonfat feta cheese. I didn’t use mozzarella but I’m sure next time I’ll use part skim mozz instead. Either way, this was THE BOMB DIGGITY and I am SO glad I made 2. :o) Thanks for being awesome, Beth. I am legit always on your website and ALWAYS trying your recipes!

41. LissyK says:

I’ve always wondered why recipes call for frozen spinach. I wonder how fresh spinach or kale (or a combo of the two) would work in the recipe?

• It would work great, but you might want to sauté it first to remove some of the moisture. I use frozen a lot because it’s less expensive and doesn’t go bad if I don’t use it all. :)

42. nasha says:

Hi
    The recipe seems easy and well explained with pictures. Just want to ask if I can use soya milk instead or regular cows milk for someone who is lactose intolerant? Will it affect the consistency or texture of the quiche?

• I think it might, yes, although I haven’t actually tried that with this one. This recipe also has cheese, which might be difficult for a lactose intolerant person.

43. Can I make night before

• You probably can, although refrigerating it before baking will probably change the cooking time a bit (the dish and the contents will be very cold when going into the oven).

• Monica says:

I make quiche for breakfast every Christmas morning and I make them the night before. Except the liquid ingredients that I mix in a jar. The next morning I shake the jar and pour over quiche ! Works great!

• BettyL says:

Great hint, Monica! Anything that helps get breakfast on the table sooner is a blessing!

44. Natalie says:

I tried to make this but it just didn’t work out. I tried FOREVER to squeeze the excess moisture out of the spinach but it still overpowered the dish and made it taste weird and soggy. We ended up throwing most of it out. What did I do wrong?

• Hmmm, I’m not sure. My favorite technique for squeezing water out of spinach is to take a handful and just squeeze it in my fist until it turns into a dry, solid ball. Then I just break that ball up into small pieces and they’re pretty dry.

45. wangari says:

Is the oven temperature of 350 in farenhight or Celsius

46. Can you provide a nutritional content

47. Great recipe. I like the careful instructions and tips as well as the pictures. Mine looked just like the picture when I took it out of the oven – I was so proud I jumped up & down. Thanks for a keeper recipe.

p.s. I think this would be good also with lemon juice and dill added.

48. This cooks up into a serviceable but not life-changing scramble, too, and I’m sure that it’ll be nummy as a breakfast burrito filling. I cant wait for it to cool off enough to use my oven again!

Also WTF people snarking about not being able to buy 1/2 tsp of garlic? Have they never heard of long division? Fractions? Using ingredients in more than one dish?

49. shan says:

Made this (minus spinach but plus chard) in cupcake tins. It came out to a perfect batch of 12. Baked about 35 minutes. Came out perfectly and tasted terrific. Thanks!

To the woman above who said this is a frittata: Frittatas are mostly egg and very very little if any milk and are usually done on the stove and maybe finished off in the oven.

Other commenter about the costs: You buy the food and do the math (or have this blogger do it for ya).

50. Carroll Adams says:

This recipe is fantastic! I added cooked, drained and chopped thick sliced bacon only because, my man friend thinks a meal isn’t complete without some sort of meat. And he absolutely loved it!!! Oh, it was my FIRST quiche and it turned out perfect! Thank you!

51. Um well you can’t really buy half a teaspoon of garlic, one cup of milk, a handful of cheese, and a of taste salt & pepper. But otherwise, this receipt look quite delicious!

52. Cindy Knox says:

Hi, my dad & husband says I should let you know that your recipe is a total success! Thank you my first try at making quiche was a huge success!

53. Christina says:

Hi, looks like a fantastic recipe – will definitely make this week with summer vegetables. Just adding a hint I saw on TV.. to get all of the water out of frozen spinach put it in a dry cloth and wring it out. Dries right up!

54. It’s a great recipe. I found the exact same one on Spark People. Not a bit of difference.

• Yes, a lot of my recipes have been uploaded to Spark People by people so they can calculate the nutritional values.

55. I am so excited to have found your blog! I have 2 people allergic to mushrooms…what are some things you would you substitute?

• You could do all sorts of vegetables, although if you’re using a watery vegetable, make sure to sauté it first to remove some of the water (same as I did with the mushrooms). Asparagus, zucchini, broccoli, they’re all good!

56. Candi says:

This was a great recipe base. I made some adjustments to suit our own taste. First I used a pie crust, because well I love pie crust. It was nice to see a quiche that did not call for mayo or sour cream. I sauteed the mushroom, (thanks for the tip), with onion and added the spinach for a quick sautee. This came out so good. I am making again tonight. It sure beats paying $9.00 for 1 slice from my the local bakery. Thanks for sharing.

57. Carol says:

This is delicious! I’ve made it twice now and the second time we added some sliced bell pepper to the mushroom saute. It makes for excellent weekday breakfasts.

58. Savannah says:

Made this over the weekend; the only cheese I used was the parm; it was wonderful. Definitely a keeper; could not be easier and nice to have in the fridge for a few breakfasts! Thank you!

59. Linda says:

I have made this several times, the first when I was looking for soft diet recipes. I think it is the best quiche I have ever had. I love that it has no crust and that I can play with it and add different things to it.

60. Krista Keller says:

I tried this at home but used a pie crust mix(instead of making one) and blended it in with the eggs and milk,poured it into my dish(spinach,mushrooms and feta) and it came it pretty uncooked,I kept putting it back in the oven and ended up cooking it for over a hour. It still wasn’t fully cooked.

• You should not have mixed the pie crust mix in with the eggs and milk. The pie crust should be made separately, so that it is a crust on the outside of the quiche.

61. Knew this looked great but made my own changes….used larger quiche pan. Six eggs, 15oz fresh spinach (steamed/drained squeezed well). Sprinkled crisp fried bacon on top before baking. The BEST!

62. Jazzymama says:

Hello I was wondering I do not eat eggs and only eat egg whites do you know if you could use egg whites in this recipe instead of the whole egg. Other than that this looks amazing…. YUMMY I am trying to go partial vegetarian and trying to not eat so much meat but man this look awesome…. If only there was a way to make this with out egg and chesses.

63. Julie says:

I was pressed for time so I cooked it for 40 mins at 375. Worked out fine!

64. Tiffany says:

Loved loved loved your recipe! My new husband loves quiche and he only gets it when he goes home to his mom and I follow instructions well so I figured I give it a try (thanks for words and pictures!) we enjoyed it so much! I appreciate the tip about mushrooms and will be looking at other recipes on your site!!

65. Susi says:

A Quiche has a crust, and a Strata has bread. This my dear is a Fritatta. A yummy looking one at that. Yay for cheese! :-P

66. I made this recipe yesterday after seeing it on Pinterest. It was awesome and I love the versatility of it. Thanks so much!

67. I just made this with adjusments based on what I had on hand, and it was delightful! I used fresh kale in place of the spinach, and it cooked beautifully. I also didn’t have feta or parmesan, so I just used extra mozzarella and added pepperjack cheese too for a kick. I also threw in some bell peppers that were otherwise going to be questionable in another couple days. I did season the veg layer with a bit of garlic salt for fear that it may be a bit bland without the salty feta. Thanks for sharing and I’m looking forward to trying it as written!

68. Brittany says:

Made this tonight and added turkey breakfast sausage. So good!!

69. Karen says:

Another winning recipe! I used skim milk and added a diced sautéed onion. Yum!

• Karen says:

Another winning recipe! I used skim milk and added a diced sautéed onion. Yum!
      Oh and I sautéed my veggies in a cast iron skillet, dumped in the custard and baked it in the oven. Fewer dirty dishes!

70. Elaine says:

Could you make this in an iron skillet? I do not own a pie dish unfortunately. Thanks! Love your site!

71. Rose says:

Another budget bytes success ! I have never made quiche partly because I hate crust and trying to eliminate carbs in my diet anyway. I whipped this up today and I had to stop at 2 slices , LOL.

I added in diced onions and sauteed them with the mushrooms and garlic and added a hint of olive oil.
    I also didn’t have the other cheeses so used mild cheddar for the top and it was delightful. I loved how “veggie heavy” this is , not as much solid egg like most quiche which made it very light.

Thank you for this awesome recipe.

• Rose says:

Oh wanted to add that I reheated it up this morning in my microwave and it’s JUST AS GOOD. I also added some chopped cilantro on top and it compliments it so well. I love this recipe because quiche you really can do whatever you want to suit your needs. Don’t be afraid to experiment!

72. shannon says:

Have you tried this substituting the mushrooms? I am not a huge fan, and would love to try it with something else. Thanks :

73. Wendy garland says:

Can this Crustless quiche be made the day before and heated in the morning?

• You can definitely assemble it the day before and then bake the morning of, although you might need to adjust the cooking time because it will be very cold going in from the refrigerator. You can bake it the day before and then reheat, but eggs tend to get a little over cooked when reheated, so I would suggest baking just before serving.

• Jenny says:

Just finished baking your crustless quiche it went well,looking forward to dinner time to eat it wonderfull.just thought I’d give you thumbs up from Somerset England will try it with bacon and mushrooms next time.

74. Hi! Ӏ’ve been reading youг website for a long time
    now and finally gοt the bravery to go ahead and give you
    a shout out from Dallas Texas! Just ωanted
    tο tell you keep up the good job!

75. Nena says:

I made it for lunch today, and substituted the mushrooms with sauted onions and used 2% milk. This happened to be my first quiche, and it tasted really good! Thanks!

76. Donna says:

I just made quiche from a book for microwave cooking. But I had read all the comments on yours so I changed is up after reading how others had experimented. And I only jade to cook mine in minutes in the microwave. Whitch way a big saveings I am sure. I used 4 slices of bread. Crumbled fine, one T. melted butter, 3T water. Mixed to make dough. Pressed into pie dish. Cooked for 2 1/2 MIN. Next layered. Chopped mushrooms & red onion a can of spinach with water pressed out, white cheese. Then 3 well bested eggs 1/2 can evaporated milk, salt, pepper, garlic salt. Mixed well. Poured on top. Cooked 15 minutes. Also made one for my husband used frozed French fries instead of spinach. Man they are both so yummy. If I would change anything I could have left out the cheese. This was a great crust and I can’t wait to try a supper version later with mix veg. and chicken. Thanks for the inspiration!

77. Enybe says:

Loved it! I used fresh spinach which I sauteed with mushrooms. Very easy to make.

thank you!

78. Paige says:

Love it! I’ve made this quiche half a dozen times now, at least. In fact, this quiche made me fall in love with mushrooms. I tend to use buttermilk, because I keep it on hand for baking, and it always turns out beautifully!

79. Got lazy and just threw the mushrooms in and heaped on healthy amounts of oregano and basil.

Turned out amazing. Also, I made a crust. The recipe you linked looked annoying as I didn’t have a food processor nor the time to chill it for a half an hour (it was supposed to be a sixty second crust!) so I found a different one.

Thanks for the wonderful recipes! You have really inspired me to cook for myself and not just eat macaroni and cheese from a box. Your recipes always look so doable and affordable AND nutritious!

80. Christy says:

I just made this- added a few more veggies to the mushrooms because they were on the verge of going bad…. What a great, easy dish! I’m looking forward to having it before work tomorrow. Will be the best thing about Monday!

81. I decided to make this before I realized I didn’t have a pie pan. I improvised with an 8×8 pan and it came out great! The ingredients worked together to perfection. My hubby really loved it, and we both topped it off with yummy sriracha for a breakfast-for-dinner type meal!

82. Denise says:

I didn’t have mushrooms. Sauteed fresh spinach with diced Jalapeno & Anaheim chiles. And I only had about an ounce of feta, so I added a tiny bit of brie. I love this dish! Very easy and flavorful. I tried it with a bit of Sriracha, as others suggested, and loved that too.

83. I am really impressed togeter with your writing abilities as neatly as with the structure in your blog.
    Is that this a paid subject or did you modify it your self?
    Anyway keep up the nice high quality writing, it is rre to look a great
    blog like this onee today..

84. Hope Bradley says:

Thanks for this yummy recipe! Just made the quiche and it turned out great :]

85. Coco says:

I made this with zucchini and left out the mozzarella (didn’t have any) and it tasted wonderful! I didn’t even miss the crust.

86. linus mumford says:

Hey this looks really good. Just wondering, what are you calling a serving for this dish? Because I will often eat at least three slices of a quiche for one meal..

thanks

87. Stephanie P says:

I made this for breakfast yesterday. Was soo good and leftovers just as tasty this morning. Thanks for an awesome recipe. I will definitely be making again..

88. Cristina says:

What % milk did you use? Wondering if nonfat would work?

89. Dave M says:

Would it be ok to cook this in an aluminum foil pie pan?

• You probably could, although it may make the cooking time slightly shorter because you don’t have as much insulation from the glass.

90. Karen says:

Any thoughts of freezing this dish BEFORE you cook it? Possible?

• I don’t think it would work well because it would be difficult to cook it evenly if frozen. Even when it’s not frozen, it can be slightly tricky to not over cook the outer edges before the middle sets.

91. Kristy says:

I am going to add some chicken to this dinner next week.

92. Leigh says:

Made this for supper tonight, added sliced cherry tomatoes in with the mushroom saute, I used baby portobelloes, served with sweet potato fries and red grapes. The hubs liked it, is looking forward to having it again for breakfast in the morning.

93. Eleog says:

Just tried this one for my lunchbox: delicious!

94. Hi, I log on to your blog like every week. Your
    writing style is witty, keep up the good work!

95. Rosey says:

GREAT!!

96. Rachel T. says:

When I made your recipe, I added some additional veggies: onion and broccoli! It was soooo delicious and totally gone by the next day!

97. Jake says:

Have you ever tried freezing this?

• I haven’t frozen this exact one, but I have frozen other egg casserole type things. They do pretty well, although they do seep a little moisture upon reheating.

98. Jane in the Shade says:

Just made this and it’s GREAT – followed the directions exactly and wouldn’t change a thing. I could not find my pie pan, so lined a 9-inch skillet with foil and it cooked up perfect.

99. Dianne says:

Ok, I just tasted this. Probably the best thing I have ever made. And I cook a lot. Wow.

100. Dianne says:

Made this tonight. It’s still in the oven but it smells heavenly!

Used fresh spinach (wilted down in pan with mushrooms) and feta with herbs to give a little more pizazz.

Thanks for the recipe!

101. Tony says:

Made this with a crust, and added some sausages. It’s gonna be a deep one (about 2 inches), see how it turn out!

102. When I made this, it was gone by the next day. It was so delicious!! I ended up switching out the mushrooms for asparagus because it was on sale.

103. Tacklegirl says:

Delicious. I had to make due with only three eggs, and I added onion and broccoli as well. Perfect for someone who can’t eat gluten!

104. WOW – tried this today. It was quick, easy and delish! I bought the pre-sliced mushrooms (same price as whole mushrooms at Aldi) and next time, I would chop them a bit more before adding. They were thick, huge pieces which were a little hard to eat after cooked. This is a great basis for LOTS of variations!

105. Nichole says:

I substituted with baby portobellos and spicy jack instead of mozzarella and it was pretty divine

106. I am curious where the previous poster buys mushrooms for .99! Here in Nashville….$2.99!!

107. I tried this. mushrooms = GROSS. I think Im gonna do broccoli instead next time. But After I picked the mushrooms out, it was delicious!

108. Furthea says:

I’m trying this though I have no feta or mozz in the house I do have a block of Extra sharp white cheddar and a block of Parmesan. No mushrooms so I threw in some left over broccoli chopped.

109. I made this today–it was incredible!!! A weekly item on my menu now!!!

110. I have to try this! Perfect for Sunday Brunch

Has anyone tried this with egg beaters (to cut down the cholesterol)?

112. Also> I’m a recently diagnosed gluten intolerant. Crustless anything will be a must-have in my table. thank you again

113. this is the first time I cook something more difficult. I know this is easy, it’s just that I’m a begginner and used to live on grilled chicken and cooked vegetables only.
    This was quick, beautiful and yummi. Feta is very expensive in my contry, so I made it with provolone, yellow bell pepper and brocolli. Delish! THANK YOU SO MUCH

• The cheeses you chose are yummy. Not everyone likes feta. I prefer feta in my salads and antipastos only. For this quiche I used parmesan, mozzarella and aged white cheddar. Delicious.

Is there a pert slice calorie fat and carb count

115. It freezes okay. Sometimes when you reheat egg dishes that have been frozen, they can get a tad watery (it’s called “seepage”), but other than that it works great!

Thinking this would freeze ok? thoughts? ;0)

117. Hannah – Goat cheese and feta have very different flavors, but goat cheese would also be fantastic in this recipe. Goat cheese is not nearly as salty as feta, has a more creamy texture, and a slight tanginess to it. It’s also usually a bit more expensive than feta. The goat cheese will liquify a bit when baking, but it will still be great (I used to bake it on pizzas all the time when I worked in the pizza biz).

118. Hannah says:

can you make this with goat cheese instead? I’m lactose intolerant and wondering if that and feta have similar flavors… or if baking goat cheese would be practical

119. Didn’t require many dishes!

Just put mine in the oven..Can’t wait to taste. THANKS!!!

sounds delicious and i will be making this asap.

122. Jenny – Yes, I’m sure you could pour it into a crust and it would still work fab! Although I’m not sure if you usually have to bake the pie crust before you fill it or not… a quick google search for quiche recipes might give you the answer, though.

123. Can you use a crust for this?

what are the nutrition facts for this ??

I am literally in love with you.

126. So happy to find a quiche recipe with NO crust! Guess based on your recipe, any quiche could be made without a crust … oh joy, now I’ll be making them every week. Gotcha pinned to my Low Carb board.

Just made this from farmers market bounty. Fresh spinach, mushrooms, red pepper and extra garlic…smells wonderful baking. Can’t wait to dig in!

128. AshleeQueen – You can definitely use fresh spinach. I would suggest sauteing it lightly to reduce moisture content, but that’s up to you. It will probably still work otherwise. As far as a crust, I haven’t actually made a crusted version. I’m not sure if you’ll have to par-bake the crust before filling it or not. Maybe do a quick google search for quiche recipes and see if they do? Let me know how it turns out!

129. Could I use fresh spinach? Also, how could I give it a crust? I really like crust with my quiche :)

130. Anonymous – for some reason pinterest doesn’t work right with my site. If you download the pinterest browser button and use that, it will work just fine. Otherwise, you can repin it from the Budget Bytes pinterest board: http://pinterest.com/pin/217932069438191523/

How do I post this to Pinterest with the Quich Photo? When I go to “post”, your picture holding the drink comes up for the image.

132. this has become one of my go-to recipes! last night i made it with kale and sauteed spring onions!

We make a similar recipe called Stockton Joe’s Eggs. Saute bacon & onions, add chopped frozen or fresh spinach and mushrooms, saute a minute or two, then add scrambled eggs, then add whatever shredded cheese you have. Serve with toast or bisquits or torillas and salsa. Yummy.

What is the nutritional value? I am trying to figure out the points for Weight Watchers?

Just made it and it was wonderful, thanks for the recipe!

Would it be difficult to make this recipe into mini quiches?

137. It would be quite easy to make this into mini-quiches! Do everything the same except reduce the cooking time. You can use the color on top as an indicator. They’re finished when they are golden brown on the top around the edges – just like in the picture of the big one.

Would it be difficult to make this recipe into mini quiches?

139. Ashley P says:

I made this quiche for my in-laws this weekend and they were SOOO impressed. This was delicious. I even combined all of the ingredients the night before and baked it off in the morning. Perfect!!

I made this for dinner tonight. It was very yummy. Thanks for sharing!

141. Hi! I shared your recipe on my Must Try Tuesday blog post today.

We are big quiche eaters so I can’t wait to try this recipe.

Thanks for sharing!

Wende
    The Rickett Chronicles

142. Yes, Bobbi :) Please make sure it is properly linked. Thanks!

143. May I use your picture on Pinterest?
    Thank you!

this is a stratta . why would you pay so much for mushroms? they are 99 cents for 8 ozs. and why would you use frozen spinach when fresh is cheap and a perfect ingredient?
    you don’t have to cook anything first, just chop and mix. takes less than 5 minutes.

I would love nutritionals! Please post them with your recipes if at all possible!

146. seriously, thanks for sharing such an awesome recipe. I just made this and it tastes amazing!

147. Jenerosity – Unfortunately, I have no experience cooking with almond milk :( My guess is that it would work, but I can’t say for sure.

148. I only have almond milk at home, could I use this?

149. I’ve been famous for lousy quiches, and I LOVE quiche, so I thought I’d give it a go! It was delicious, and turned out properly!! I used what I had on hand, fresh spinach, onion, garlic, mushrooms, zucchini, onion, red pepper, garlic, lowfat cheddar cheese, bacon, and parmesan cheese. (I even forgot the milk) I think the fewer eggs than most recipes was the golden ticket!

150. Anon – I’m really not sure about coconut in this recipe as it has different properties than regular milk… Also, it might give a strong flavor and I’m not sure how that would work with the rest of the flavors. But hey, experimentation often results in magical discoveries. Go for it!

would coconut milk be okay to use?

Found this through Pinterest and made it today. So delicious–thanks :)

I can’t wait to make this! My husband is on a low carb diet so we all can eat this!! Thanks!

Made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! I am curious to know if anyone has figured the calories per serving.

I’m making this right now. Just put it in the oven :) I’m excited!! I never liked the crust part on quiche. now to make quinoa bites :)

How many calories per serving?

• bitabread says:

I just did the calculations and it’s 150 calories if the quiche yields 6 portions…

157. Jenny says:

Delicious! Thanks so much!

Made this for lunch with my 3 year old helper. We served it up with seasoned pan fried potatos from Mamaw’s garden. Love Budget Bytes!!!

I made this last night for supper. It was a hit with my boyfriend and I.I love following your blog on my Facebook.. You have the best ideas.. :)

160. This is now a weekly staple in our house. We didn’t have feta in the house, so I subbed it with cheddar cheese and it was super good!

161. I made this and it’s sooo yummy! Mine turned out a little soggy though so I imagine it could have been even yummier. I only had fresh spinach. Maybe I should have sauteed that too?

I’m still mighty impressed with this recipe and even more impressed that I made something edible :o

• Mary says:

I used fresh baby spinach julienne stirred in the peppers, onion, garlic and mushroom and allowed it to wilt down a bit before adding it to the pie pan. Came out great and not soggy at all.

I made this and it was simply amazing! Didn’t miss the crust at all. Thanks!

Sounds good. made a simular casserole dish called eggs florentine it to was very good. I will try this very soon. Thanks

164. I’m going to try this tomorrow!

165. I LOVE this recipe! I like to make quiche ahead of time for a quick no-fuss dinner. I’m trying this recipe next. Thanks!

166. We’re very fond of making a quiche like this one in my household. What’s really good is if you slice up potatoes and onions for the bottom layer, sort of like a Spanish tortilla.!

167. Delicious!! Low carb and budget friendly..I’ll take it! :)

168. Great! I’ll definitely try it!
    Thanks for sharing :)

169. Dani says:

So i love your blog, and yesterday JUST YESTERDAY i had the biggest urge to make a quiche and went through every one of your breakfast recipes to see if you had one because i wanted to make one of your recipes. and TODAY you post one, that’s awesome! can’t wait to try this one out! thanks!!! :)

170. I’m going to make a quiche. Real men do, you know…

171. This looks delish. I love the combo of the spinach and the feta. I always love a good quiche and I like your thinking with the pie crust here. I am always looking for ways to save on calories like this.

172. I make a very similar recipe, but it has a half cup of flour mixed in with the eggs. While it bakes the flour sinks and forms a crust-like bottom.

• Hi. Your idea of flour in the quiche is great. Can you give me more info?
      Thanks, Jan

• RU4REAL says:

Hun, the whole point here is to keep it carb free. White flour is POISIN and using it is counterproductive to the low carb lifestyle.

• Amber says:

Why do you care so much if she wants to use flour? Just because she’s on a carb free recipe page, doesn’t mean she’s carb free. Also, you spelled poison wrong. If you’re going to emphasize a word, at least spell it right.

173. This is just like a frittata I often make when I am pressed for time (and ingredients): The anything-goes frittata! Nine times out of ten it includes frozen spinach and mushrooms, TONS of garlic, and a squirt of sriracha when it’s done.

Delicious and easy — way to go!

174. Totally my kind of recipe. And I will have Sriracha on too1

• Nena says:

Love this recipe, I have made it many ways now and my favorite so far uses kale instead of spinach

• Cher says:

HI, Nena, just wondering what the kale tastes like in this recipe rather then the spinach. Does it taste chewy or does it soften nicely like spinach does when cooked? I was thinking of making this with kale for brunch on the weekend since I have leftover kale in my fridge. thanks.