spinach, mushroom & feta crustless quiche

I’m a big fan of savory breakfasts and this one might be my new favorite. It has endless possibilities and is a cinch to make. …plus, it reheats well in the microwave for a quick dinner!

A quiche is basically an egg and milk custard filled with all sorts of other things (usually cheese and vegetables). Traditionally, quiches are baked into a pie crust but I felt that I had enough cheese in here to cover my fat ration for the day so I just skipped the crust. If you want your quiche in a crust, make this super simple 60 second pie crust.

To make this recipe extra economical, use vegetables that are in season and on sale for a low price. You can do bell peppers, squash, broccoli, anything. I had some mushrooms that I had planned to use for my slow cooker marinara, but forgot about, so I used them in this. I also had leftover feta, parmesan, and mozzarella, so in they went! Lastly, I bought a super inexpensive box of frozen spinach. I probably went overboard on the cheese but I had it on hand, so I had to use it up!

Spinach, Mushroom & Feta Crustless Quiche

Spinach Mushroom Crustless Quiche

spinach, mushroom & feta crustless quiche

• 8 oz. fresh mushrooms $1.99
  • ½ tsp minced garlic $0.06
  • as needed non-stick spray $0.02
  • 1 (10 oz.) box frozen spinach $1.09
  • 4 large eggs $0.83
  • 1 cup milk $0.39
  • 2 oz. feta cheese $0.87
  • ¼ cup grated parmesan $0.39
  • ½ cup shredded mozzarella $0.50
  • to taste salt & pepper $0.05
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. If your frozen spinach is not already thawed, thaw it in the microwave. Empty the box into a colander and let it drain while you begin to prepare the rest.
  2. Quickly rinse the mushrooms and slice them thinly. Place the sliced mushrooms in a skillet coated with non-stick spray, add the minced garlic, and sprinkle a little salt and pepper. Turn the heat on to medium-high and saute the mushrooms until they release all of their moisture and no more water remains on the bottom of the skillet (5-7 minutes).
  3. Spray a pie dish with non-stick spray. Squeeze the rest of the water out of the spinach and spread it out on the bottom of the pie dish. Next add the cooked mushrooms and crumbled feta.
  4. In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs until fairly smooth. Add the milk, parmesan, and another small sprinkle of pepper. Whisk to combine. (This step can be completed while the mushrooms are cooking) Pour this mixture into the pie dish over the spinach, mushrooms, and feta.
  5. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over top. Place the pie dish on a baking sheet for easy transfer into the oven. Place the quiche into the preheated oven and bake until it is golden brown on top and the center is solid. Every oven is different but this should take between 45 minutes and an hour. Slice and serve!

spinach mushroom feta crustless quiche

drain spinachThe key to preventing a soggy quiche is to reduce the moisture in your vegetables. This is why the spinach is squeezed dry and the mushrooms get cooked before adding to the quiche. I start by draining the spinach in a colander and then squeeze the rest of the moisture out before adding it to the dish.

fresh mushroomsNext, move onto the mushrooms. Sometimes pre-sliced mushrooms are the same price as whole, but not this time around…

slice mushroomsSo I washed and sliced my own. I usually cut them in half first (to get a flat surface) and then slice them.

cook mushroomsMushrooms are like sponges that are secretly holding a lot of water, so you need to saute them before adding them to your quiche. I just placed them in a skillet coated with non-stick spray (and a little garlic for flavor) and then sprinkled them with salt and pepper. Just a touch. The salt will help draw out the moisture.

cook mushroomsTurn the heat onto medium or medium high and saute them (cook while occasionally stirring) until the water cooks out. This picture is about half way through the process. You’ll notice that the bottom of the skillet is covered with water that has seeped out of the mushrooms. Just keep cooking past this point until most of that water has evaporated off and the bottom of the skillet is relatively dry. This should take about 5-7 minutes, depending on how hot your skillet is. You can prepare the custard (egg and milk mixture) while you’re waiting for the mushrooms to finish.

fill pie dishCoat the inside of a 9 inch pie dish with non-stick spray. Squeeze the rest of the water out of the spinach and place it in the bottom of the dish along with the cooked mushrooms and feta cheese… in no particular order.

whisk eggsTo make the custard, begin by whisking together four eggs until they are fairly smooth and uniform in texture.

add milk and parmesanNext whisk in the milk and parmesan cheese… and a little more pepper or any other herbs that you might like.

pour on custardPour the custard mixture over the vegetables in the pie dish. Oh, and the quiche is much easier to get in and out of the oven if it’s on a baking dish, so I put it on there before pouring in the liquidy custard mixture.

mozzarellaSprinkle on more cheese (mozzarella in this case) if you want… again, I probably went overboard on the cheese but boy, was it tasty ;)

bake quicheBake the quiche in a preheated 350 degree oven until it is golden brown on top and the center is no longer liquid. This will take anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour depending on your oven. Just start checking it at 45 minutes. You’ll notice as it cooks that it begins to puff up a bit. It will deflate once it comes out of the oven but the “puff” is a good way to tell which areas are cooked and which are still liquid.

spinach mushroom feta crustless quicheSlice and serve! (I prefer mine with a healthy dose of sriracha!)

1. Totally my kind of recipe. And I will have Sriracha on too1

• Nena says:

Love this recipe, I have made it many ways now and my favorite so far uses kale instead of spinach

2. This is just like a frittata I often make when I am pressed for time (and ingredients): The anything-goes frittata! Nine times out of ten it includes frozen spinach and mushrooms, TONS of garlic, and a squirt of sriracha when it’s done.

Delicious and easy — way to go!

3. I make a very similar recipe, but it has a half cup of flour mixed in with the eggs. While it bakes the flour sinks and forms a crust-like bottom.

• Hi. Your idea of flour in the quiche is great. Can you give me more info?
      Thanks, Jan

• RU4REAL says:

Hun, the whole point here is to keep it carb free. White flour is POISIN and using it is counterproductive to the low carb lifestyle.

• Amber says:

Why do you care so much if she wants to use flour? Just because she’s on a carb free recipe page, doesn’t mean she’s carb free. Also, you spelled poison wrong. If you’re going to emphasize a word, at least spell it right.

4. This looks delish. I love the combo of the spinach and the feta. I always love a good quiche and I like your thinking with the pie crust here. I am always looking for ways to save on calories like this.

5. I’m going to make a quiche. Real men do, you know…

6. Dani says:

So i love your blog, and yesterday JUST YESTERDAY i had the biggest urge to make a quiche and went through every one of your breakfast recipes to see if you had one because i wanted to make one of your recipes. and TODAY you post one, that’s awesome! can’t wait to try this one out! thanks!!! :)

7. Great! I’ll definitely try it!
    Thanks for sharing :)

8. Delicious!! Low carb and budget friendly..I’ll take it! :)

9. We’re very fond of making a quiche like this one in my household. What’s really good is if you slice up potatoes and onions for the bottom layer, sort of like a Spanish tortilla.!

10. I LOVE this recipe! I like to make quiche ahead of time for a quick no-fuss dinner. I’m trying this recipe next. Thanks!

11. I’m going to try this tomorrow!

Sounds good. made a simular casserole dish called eggs florentine it to was very good. I will try this very soon. Thanks

I made this and it was simply amazing! Didn’t miss the crust at all. Thanks!

14. I made this and it’s sooo yummy! Mine turned out a little soggy though so I imagine it could have been even yummier. I only had fresh spinach. Maybe I should have sauteed that too?

I’m still mighty impressed with this recipe and even more impressed that I made something edible :o

• Mary says:

I used fresh baby spinach julienne stirred in the peppers, onion, garlic and mushroom and allowed it to wilt down a bit before adding it to the pie pan. Came out great and not soggy at all.

15. This is now a weekly staple in our house. We didn’t have feta in the house, so I subbed it with cheddar cheese and it was super good!

I made this last night for supper. It was a hit with my boyfriend and I.I love following your blog on my Facebook.. You have the best ideas.. :)

Made this for lunch with my 3 year old helper. We served it up with seasoned pan fried potatos from Mamaw’s garden. Love Budget Bytes!!!

18. Jenny says:

Delicious! Thanks so much!

How many calories per serving?

• bitabread says:

I just did the calculations and it’s 150 calories if the quiche yields 6 portions…

I’m making this right now. Just put it in the oven :) I’m excited!! I never liked the crust part on quiche. now to make quinoa bites :)

Made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! I am curious to know if anyone has figured the calories per serving.

I can’t wait to make this! My husband is on a low carb diet so we all can eat this!! Thanks!

Found this through Pinterest and made it today. So delicious–thanks :)

would coconut milk be okay to use?

25. Anon – I’m really not sure about coconut in this recipe as it has different properties than regular milk… Also, it might give a strong flavor and I’m not sure how that would work with the rest of the flavors. But hey, experimentation often results in magical discoveries. Go for it!

26. I’ve been famous for lousy quiches, and I LOVE quiche, so I thought I’d give it a go! It was delicious, and turned out properly!! I used what I had on hand, fresh spinach, onion, garlic, mushrooms, zucchini, onion, red pepper, garlic, lowfat cheddar cheese, bacon, and parmesan cheese. (I even forgot the milk) I think the fewer eggs than most recipes was the golden ticket!

27. I only have almond milk at home, could I use this?

28. Jenerosity – Unfortunately, I have no experience cooking with almond milk :( My guess is that it would work, but I can’t say for sure.

29. seriously, thanks for sharing such an awesome recipe. I just made this and it tastes amazing!

I would love nutritionals! Please post them with your recipes if at all possible!

this is a stratta . why would you pay so much for mushroms? they are 99 cents for 8 ozs. and why would you use frozen spinach when fresh is cheap and a perfect ingredient?
    you don’t have to cook anything first, just chop and mix. takes less than 5 minutes.

32. May I use your picture on Pinterest?
    Thank you!

33. Yes, Bobbi :) Please make sure it is properly linked. Thanks!

34. Hi! I shared your recipe on my Must Try Tuesday blog post today.

We are big quiche eaters so I can’t wait to try this recipe.

Thanks for sharing!

Wende
    The Rickett Chronicles

I made this for dinner tonight. It was very yummy. Thanks for sharing!

36. Ashley P says:

I made this quiche for my in-laws this weekend and they were SOOO impressed. This was delicious. I even combined all of the ingredients the night before and baked it off in the morning. Perfect!!

Would it be difficult to make this recipe into mini quiches?

38. It would be quite easy to make this into mini-quiches! Do everything the same except reduce the cooking time. You can use the color on top as an indicator. They’re finished when they are golden brown on the top around the edges – just like in the picture of the big one.

Would it be difficult to make this recipe into mini quiches?

Just made it and it was wonderful, thanks for the recipe!

What is the nutritional value? I am trying to figure out the points for Weight Watchers?

We make a similar recipe called Stockton Joe’s Eggs. Saute bacon & onions, add chopped frozen or fresh spinach and mushrooms, saute a minute or two, then add scrambled eggs, then add whatever shredded cheese you have. Serve with toast or bisquits or torillas and salsa. Yummy.

43. this has become one of my go-to recipes! last night i made it with kale and sauteed spring onions!

How do I post this to Pinterest with the Quich Photo? When I go to “post”, your picture holding the drink comes up for the image.

45. Anonymous – for some reason pinterest doesn’t work right with my site. If you download the pinterest browser button and use that, it will work just fine. Otherwise, you can repin it from the Budget Bytes pinterest board: http://pinterest.com/pin/217932069438191523/

46. Could I use fresh spinach? Also, how could I give it a crust? I really like crust with my quiche :)

47. AshleeQueen – You can definitely use fresh spinach. I would suggest sauteing it lightly to reduce moisture content, but that’s up to you. It will probably still work otherwise. As far as a crust, I haven’t actually made a crusted version. I’m not sure if you’ll have to par-bake the crust before filling it or not. Maybe do a quick google search for quiche recipes and see if they do? Let me know how it turns out!

Just made this from farmers market bounty. Fresh spinach, mushrooms, red pepper and extra garlic…smells wonderful baking. Can’t wait to dig in!

49. So happy to find a quiche recipe with NO crust! Guess based on your recipe, any quiche could be made without a crust … oh joy, now I’ll be making them every week. Gotcha pinned to my Low Carb board.

I am literally in love with you.

what are the nutrition facts for this ??

52. Can you use a crust for this?

53. Jenny – Yes, I’m sure you could pour it into a crust and it would still work fab! Although I’m not sure if you usually have to bake the pie crust before you fill it or not… a quick google search for quiche recipes might give you the answer, though.

sounds delicious and i will be making this asap.

Just put mine in the oven..Can’t wait to taste. THANKS!!!

56. Didn’t require many dishes!

57. Hannah says:

can you make this with goat cheese instead? I’m lactose intolerant and wondering if that and feta have similar flavors… or if baking goat cheese would be practical

58. Hannah – Goat cheese and feta have very different flavors, but goat cheese would also be fantastic in this recipe. Goat cheese is not nearly as salty as feta, has a more creamy texture, and a slight tanginess to it. It’s also usually a bit more expensive than feta. The goat cheese will liquify a bit when baking, but it will still be great (I used to bake it on pizzas all the time when I worked in the pizza biz).

Thinking this would freeze ok? thoughts? ;0)

60. It freezes okay. Sometimes when you reheat egg dishes that have been frozen, they can get a tad watery (it’s called “seepage”), but other than that it works great!

Is there a pert slice calorie fat and carb count

62. this is the first time I cook something more difficult. I know this is easy, it’s just that I’m a begginner and used to live on grilled chicken and cooked vegetables only.
    This was quick, beautiful and yummi. Feta is very expensive in my contry, so I made it with provolone, yellow bell pepper and brocolli. Delish! THANK YOU SO MUCH

• The cheeses you chose are yummy. Not everyone likes feta. I prefer feta in my salads and antipastos only. For this quiche I used parmesan, mozzarella and aged white cheddar. Delicious.

63. Also> I’m a recently diagnosed gluten intolerant. Crustless anything will be a must-have in my table. thank you again

Has anyone tried this with egg beaters (to cut down the cholesterol)?

65. I have to try this! Perfect for Sunday Brunch

66. I made this today–it was incredible!!! A weekly item on my menu now!!!

67. Furthea says:

I’m trying this though I have no feta or mozz in the house I do have a block of Extra sharp white cheddar and a block of Parmesan. No mushrooms so I threw in some left over broccoli chopped.

68. I tried this. mushrooms = GROSS. I think Im gonna do broccoli instead next time. But After I picked the mushrooms out, it was delicious!

69. I am curious where the previous poster buys mushrooms for .99! Here in Nashville….$2.99!!

70. Nichole says:

I substituted with baby portobellos and spicy jack instead of mozzarella and it was pretty divine

71. WOW – tried this today. It was quick, easy and delish! I bought the pre-sliced mushrooms (same price as whole mushrooms at Aldi) and next time, I would chop them a bit more before adding. They were thick, huge pieces which were a little hard to eat after cooked. This is a great basis for LOTS of variations!

72. Tacklegirl says:

Delicious. I had to make due with only three eggs, and I added onion and broccoli as well. Perfect for someone who can’t eat gluten!

73. When I made this, it was gone by the next day. It was so delicious!! I ended up switching out the mushrooms for asparagus because it was on sale.

74. Tony says:

Made this with a crust, and added some sausages. It’s gonna be a deep one (about 2 inches), see how it turn out!

75. Dianne says:

Made this tonight. It’s still in the oven but it smells heavenly!

Used fresh spinach (wilted down in pan with mushrooms) and feta with herbs to give a little more pizazz.

Thanks for the recipe!

76. Dianne says:

Ok, I just tasted this. Probably the best thing I have ever made. And I cook a lot. Wow.

77. Jane in the Shade says:

Just made this and it’s GREAT – followed the directions exactly and wouldn’t change a thing. I could not find my pie pan, so lined a 9-inch skillet with foil and it cooked up perfect.

78. Jake says:

Have you ever tried freezing this?

• I haven’t frozen this exact one, but I have frozen other egg casserole type things. They do pretty well, although they do seep a little moisture upon reheating.

79. Rachel T. says:

When I made your recipe, I added some additional veggies: onion and broccoli! It was soooo delicious and totally gone by the next day!

80. Rosey says:

GREAT!!

81. Hi, I log on to your blog like every week. Your
    writing style is witty, keep up the good work!

82. Eleog says:

Just tried this one for my lunchbox: delicious!

83. Leigh says:

Made this for supper tonight, added sliced cherry tomatoes in with the mushroom saute, I used baby portobelloes, served with sweet potato fries and red grapes. The hubs liked it, is looking forward to having it again for breakfast in the morning.

84. Kristy says:

I am going to add some chicken to this dinner next week.

85. Karen says:

Any thoughts of freezing this dish BEFORE you cook it? Possible?

• I don’t think it would work well because it would be difficult to cook it evenly if frozen. Even when it’s not frozen, it can be slightly tricky to not over cook the outer edges before the middle sets.

86. Dave M says:

Would it be ok to cook this in an aluminum foil pie pan?

• You probably could, although it may make the cooking time slightly shorter because you don’t have as much insulation from the glass.

87. Cristina says:

What % milk did you use? Wondering if nonfat would work?

88. Stephanie P says:

I made this for breakfast yesterday. Was soo good and leftovers just as tasty this morning. Thanks for an awesome recipe. I will definitely be making again..

89. linus mumford says:

Hey this looks really good. Just wondering, what are you calling a serving for this dish? Because I will often eat at least three slices of a quiche for one meal..

thanks

90. Coco says:

I made this with zucchini and left out the mozzarella (didn’t have any) and it tasted wonderful! I didn’t even miss the crust.

91. Hope Bradley says:

Thanks for this yummy recipe! Just made the quiche and it turned out great :]

92. I am really impressed togeter with your writing abilities as neatly as with the structure in your blog.
    Is that this a paid subject or did you modify it your self?
    Anyway keep up the nice high quality writing, it is rre to look a great
    blog like this onee today..

93. Denise says:

I didn’t have mushrooms. Sauteed fresh spinach with diced Jalapeno & Anaheim chiles. And I only had about an ounce of feta, so I added a tiny bit of brie. I love this dish! Very easy and flavorful. I tried it with a bit of Sriracha, as others suggested, and loved that too.

94. I decided to make this before I realized I didn’t have a pie pan. I improvised with an 8×8 pan and it came out great! The ingredients worked together to perfection. My hubby really loved it, and we both topped it off with yummy sriracha for a breakfast-for-dinner type meal!

95. Christy says:

I just made this- added a few more veggies to the mushrooms because they were on the verge of going bad…. What a great, easy dish! I’m looking forward to having it before work tomorrow. Will be the best thing about Monday!

96. Got lazy and just threw the mushrooms in and heaped on healthy amounts of oregano and basil.

Turned out amazing. Also, I made a crust. The recipe you linked looked annoying as I didn’t have a food processor nor the time to chill it for a half an hour (it was supposed to be a sixty second crust!) so I found a different one.

Thanks for the wonderful recipes! You have really inspired me to cook for myself and not just eat macaroni and cheese from a box. Your recipes always look so doable and affordable AND nutritious!

97. Paige says:

Love it! I’ve made this quiche half a dozen times now, at least. In fact, this quiche made me fall in love with mushrooms. I tend to use buttermilk, because I keep it on hand for baking, and it always turns out beautifully!

98. Enybe says:

Loved it! I used fresh spinach which I sauteed with mushrooms. Very easy to make.

thank you!

99. Donna says:

I just made quiche from a book for microwave cooking. But I had read all the comments on yours so I changed is up after reading how others had experimented. And I only jade to cook mine in minutes in the microwave. Whitch way a big saveings I am sure. I used 4 slices of bread. Crumbled fine, one T. melted butter, 3T water. Mixed to make dough. Pressed into pie dish. Cooked for 2 1/2 MIN. Next layered. Chopped mushrooms & red onion a can of spinach with water pressed out, white cheese. Then 3 well bested eggs 1/2 can evaporated milk, salt, pepper, garlic salt. Mixed well. Poured on top. Cooked 15 minutes. Also made one for my husband used frozed French fries instead of spinach. Man they are both so yummy. If I would change anything I could have left out the cheese. This was a great crust and I can’t wait to try a supper version later with mix veg. and chicken. Thanks for the inspiration!

100. Nena says:

I made it for lunch today, and substituted the mushrooms with sauted onions and used 2% milk. This happened to be my first quiche, and it tasted really good! Thanks!

101. Hi! Ӏ’ve been reading youг website for a long time
    now and finally gοt the bravery to go ahead and give you
    a shout out from Dallas Texas! Just ωanted
    tο tell you keep up the good job!

102. Wendy garland says:

Can this Crustless quiche be made the day before and heated in the morning?

• You can definitely assemble it the day before and then bake the morning of, although you might need to adjust the cooking time because it will be very cold going in from the refrigerator. You can bake it the day before and then reheat, but eggs tend to get a little over cooked when reheated, so I would suggest baking just before serving.

103. shannon says:

Have you tried this substituting the mushrooms? I am not a huge fan, and would love to try it with something else. Thanks :

104. Rose says:

Another budget bytes success ! I have never made quiche partly because I hate crust and trying to eliminate carbs in my diet anyway. I whipped this up today and I had to stop at 2 slices , LOL.

I added in diced onions and sauteed them with the mushrooms and garlic and added a hint of olive oil.
    I also didn’t have the other cheeses so used mild cheddar for the top and it was delightful. I loved how “veggie heavy” this is , not as much solid egg like most quiche which made it very light.

Thank you for this awesome recipe.

• Rose says:

Oh wanted to add that I reheated it up this morning in my microwave and it’s JUST AS GOOD. I also added some chopped cilantro on top and it compliments it so well. I love this recipe because quiche you really can do whatever you want to suit your needs. Don’t be afraid to experiment!

105. Elaine says:

Could you make this in an iron skillet? I do not own a pie dish unfortunately. Thanks! Love your site!

106. Karen says:

Another winning recipe! I used skim milk and added a diced sautéed onion. Yum!

• Karen says:

Another winning recipe! I used skim milk and added a diced sautéed onion. Yum!
      Oh and I sautéed my veggies in a cast iron skillet, dumped in the custard and baked it in the oven. Fewer dirty dishes!

107. Brittany says:

Made this tonight and added turkey breakfast sausage. So good!!

108. I just made this with adjusments based on what I had on hand, and it was delightful! I used fresh kale in place of the spinach, and it cooked beautifully. I also didn’t have feta or parmesan, so I just used extra mozzarella and added pepperjack cheese too for a kick. I also threw in some bell peppers that were otherwise going to be questionable in another couple days. I did season the veg layer with a bit of garlic salt for fear that it may be a bit bland without the salty feta. Thanks for sharing and I’m looking forward to trying it as written!

109. I made this recipe yesterday after seeing it on Pinterest. It was awesome and I love the versatility of it. Thanks so much!

110. Susi says:

A Quiche has a crust, and a Strata has bread. This my dear is a Fritatta. A yummy looking one at that. Yay for cheese! :-P

111. Tiffany says:

Loved loved loved your recipe! My new husband loves quiche and he only gets it when he goes home to his mom and I follow instructions well so I figured I give it a try (thanks for words and pictures!) we enjoyed it so much! I appreciate the tip about mushrooms and will be looking at other recipes on your site!!

112. Julie says:

I was pressed for time so I cooked it for 40 mins at 375. Worked out fine!

113. Jazzymama says:

Hello I was wondering I do not eat eggs and only eat egg whites do you know if you could use egg whites in this recipe instead of the whole egg. Other than that this looks amazing…. YUMMY I am trying to go partial vegetarian and trying to not eat so much meat but man this look awesome…. If only there was a way to make this with out egg and chesses.

114. Knew this looked great but made my own changes….used larger quiche pan. Six eggs, 15oz fresh spinach (steamed/drained squeezed well). Sprinkled crisp fried bacon on top before baking. The BEST!