Spinach, Mushroom & Feta Crustless Quiche

I’m a big fan of savory breakfasts and this one might be my new favorite. It has endless possibilities and is a cinch to make. …plus, it reheats well in the microwave for a quick dinner!

A quiche is basically an egg and milk custard filled with all sorts of other things (usually cheese and vegetables). Traditionally, quiches are baked into a pie crust but I felt that I had enough cheese in here to cover my fat ration for the day so I just skipped the crust. If you want your quiche in a crust, make this super simple 60 second pie crust.

To make this recipe extra economical, use vegetables that are in season and on sale for a low price. You can do bell peppers, squash, broccoli, anything. I had some mushrooms that I had planned to use for my slow cooker marinara, but forgot about, so I used them in this. I also had leftover feta, parmesan, and mozzarella, so in they went! Lastly, I bought a super inexpensive box of frozen spinach. I probably went overboard on the cheese but I had it on hand, so I had to use it up!

Spinach, Mushroom & Feta Crustless Quiche

Spinach Mushroom Crustless Quiche

spinach, mushroom & feta crustless quiche

• 8 oz. fresh mushrooms $1.99
  • ½ tsp minced garlic $0.06
  • as needed non-stick spray $0.02
  • 1 (10 oz.) box frozen spinach $1.09
  • 4 large eggs $0.83
  • 1 cup milk $0.39
  • 2 oz. feta cheese $0.87
  • ¼ cup grated parmesan $0.39
  • ½ cup shredded mozzarella $0.50
  • to taste salt & pepper $0.05
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. If your frozen spinach is not already thawed, thaw it in the microwave. Empty the box into a colander and let it drain while you begin to prepare the rest.
  2. Quickly rinse the mushrooms and slice them thinly. Place the sliced mushrooms in a skillet coated with non-stick spray, add the minced garlic, and sprinkle a little salt and pepper. Turn the heat on to medium-high and saute the mushrooms until they release all of their moisture and no more water remains on the bottom of the skillet (5-7 minutes).
  3. Spray a pie dish with non-stick spray. Squeeze the rest of the water out of the spinach and spread it out on the bottom of the pie dish. Next add the cooked mushrooms and crumbled feta.
  4. In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs until fairly smooth. Add the milk, parmesan, and another small sprinkle of pepper. Whisk to combine. (This step can be completed while the mushrooms are cooking) Pour this mixture into the pie dish over the spinach, mushrooms, and feta.
  5. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over top. Place the pie dish on a baking sheet for easy transfer into the oven. Place the quiche into the preheated oven and bake until it is golden brown on top and the center is solid. Every oven is different but this should take between 45 minutes and an hour. Slice and serve!

spinach mushroom feta crustless quiche

drain spinachThe key to preventing a soggy quiche is to reduce the moisture in your vegetables. This is why the spinach is squeezed dry and the mushrooms get cooked before adding to the quiche. I start by draining the spinach in a colander and then squeeze the rest of the moisture out before adding it to the dish.

fresh mushroomsNext, move onto the mushrooms. Sometimes pre-sliced mushrooms are the same price as whole, but not this time around…

slice mushroomsSo I washed and sliced my own. I usually cut them in half first (to get a flat surface) and then slice them.

cook mushroomsMushrooms are like sponges that are secretly holding a lot of water, so you need to saute them before adding them to your quiche. I just placed them in a skillet coated with non-stick spray (and a little garlic for flavor) and then sprinkled them with salt and pepper. Just a touch. The salt will help draw out the moisture.

cook mushroomsTurn the heat onto medium or medium high and saute them (cook while occasionally stirring) until the water cooks out. This picture is about half way through the process. You’ll notice that the bottom of the skillet is covered with water that has seeped out of the mushrooms. Just keep cooking past this point until most of that water has evaporated off and the bottom of the skillet is relatively dry. This should take about 5-7 minutes, depending on how hot your skillet is. You can prepare the custard (egg and milk mixture) while you’re waiting for the mushrooms to finish.

fill pie dishCoat the inside of a 9 inch pie dish with non-stick spray. Squeeze the rest of the water out of the spinach and place it in the bottom of the dish along with the cooked mushrooms and feta cheese… in no particular order.

whisk eggsTo make the custard, begin by whisking together four eggs until they are fairly smooth and uniform in texture.

add milk and parmesanNext whisk in the milk and parmesan cheese… and a little more pepper or any other herbs that you might like.

pour on custardPour the custard mixture over the vegetables in the pie dish. Oh, and the quiche is much easier to get in and out of the oven if it’s on a baking dish, so I put it on there before pouring in the liquidy custard mixture.

mozzarellaSprinkle on more cheese (mozzarella in this case) if you want… again, I probably went overboard on the cheese but boy, was it tasty ;)

bake quicheBake the quiche in a preheated 350 degree oven until it is golden brown on top and the center is no longer liquid. This will take anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour depending on your oven. Just start checking it at 45 minutes. You’ll notice as it cooks that it begins to puff up a bit. It will deflate once it comes out of the oven but the “puff” is a good way to tell which areas are cooked and which are still liquid.

spinach mushroom feta crustless quicheSlice and serve! (I prefer mine with a healthy dose of sriracha!)

1. Sandra H says:

I want to take this to a friend who just had breast cancer surgery. They may not eat it the same day, will it reheat well or should I find a different recipe.

• I’m okay with this one after it’s reheated, but eggs do sometimes over cook while reheating, so it can be a matter of personal preference. Maybe to be safe, go with a pasta dish or some sort of chili or stew?

• Barb N says:

I would suggest reheating this on 50% power in the microwave. Then it is heating not cooking the product. This can work for most left overs.

2. Maria says:

Can I try this recipe in a muffin pan??

• Yes, that would work but the cooking time will be shorter since there is more heat exposure through increased surface area. I’m not sure without testing it how long it will need to bake.

3. RRRatman says:

This is a wonderful…and easy recipe. BUT! If you want to kick it up a little (actually a lot), substitute blue cheese for the feta! Oh my! I also added some crumbled sausage and uncooked diced onion. I had an immediate request: “let’s have this again!”

Try it, you’ll like it.

4. Terri says:

Hi Beith: I love your blog! I have made this recipe several times subsituting different veggies, its fabulous and easy. Thanks! How do you think this would work with egg whites? Maybe 2 eggs and 2 egg whites? Thanks for your feedback.

• I think as long as you leave some yolks in, like you suggested, it will still work okay. The problem is when you take all the fat out it will change the texture quite a bit (more rubbery, less creamy).

5. Marina B. says:

Wonderful recipe. I have been making it regularly ever since the first time I made it. My family loves it and always request second and third helpings. The quiche gets demolished pretty soo n in my family. It is even tasty the next day if leftovers remain. Mix the ingredients before baking in the pan before baking for a nice, mozaik-like look. ;)

6. Darlene says:

Can you freeze these and if so how long do you reheat in oven and at what temp

7. Kerstin says:

What are the net Carbs for this?

8. Lisa says:

Great receipe! Easy and I loved the flavor. I used others suggestions and added onion and a bit of bacon. Make sure you really squeeze out the water out of the spinach (use your hands).

9. Doris says:

Good morning–this also looks really yummy and healthy …quick questions that may have already been asked/answered ( I am at work and do not have the time to check all the questions…) Can fresh spinach be used ??? also my hubby does not like feta cheese –what can I sub or could I just leave it out ?? any suggestions/thoughts on my questions appreciated !!

• Yes, you can definitely use fresh spinach, but I’d sauté it down in the skillet for a few minutes to wilt it down before adding it to the quiche. :)

10. Carrie says:

Made this tonight and it was delectable! Loved it. My two year old kept asking for more too.

11. Terrific! Recipe works well, and much tastier than the average quiche (no soggy crust). Looked pretty, too. An all around five star dish for easy, yummy, healthy, pleasing to the eye, and…inexpensive.

12. Kathy says:

I want to double this recipe and cook in a 10 x12 ceramic baker. What temperature and how long should I cook this doubled recipe.

13. Kylie says:

Thanks for the recipe, really quick and easy and so tasty!

14. Netta Drift says:

This was a good find, like the slogan. I like full tummy and a full wallet too. Found Naan recipe on Pinterest. Great recipes.

15. Christina says:

Hey Beth. Awesome site, thank you. I dont have a pie plate but have the 3 different sized pyrex rectangle dishes, which size do you think would work best following the recipe?

16. bphillips24 says:

This was delicious. My 4 yr old son and I both enjoyed it. I sauted some onion along with the mushroom and garlic. Served with a heirloom tomato on the side. Thanks for the yummy recipe!

17. laura says:

Really good- my carnivorous and crust-loving family loved it too! Thanks

18. I made it this morning after church. Oh so delicious and tasty! I used Kale because what I had and still good.

19. Hey there! I’ve been reading your web site for a long time
    now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out
    from New Caney Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the excellent work!

20. Heather says:

I used a dozen eggs, a fresh head of broccoli instead of spinach, and 1 cup almond milk with a half cup sour cream for the milk. Also I just used 6 oz of feta since I didn’t have any other cheese. It made 2 big quiches, which I’ll be eating for breakfast all week! I feel like there is no way to mess up this recipe!

21. Emma says:

Just finished this for dinner. One word – OMNOMNOM.

As others suggested, I added some bacon in with the mushrooms, and it was just what it needed :) I wish I had put more feta in but even so it was so so so good.

Hoping there will still be some left over for lunch tomorrow…

• Had to laugh at this post! :) My quiche is backing now and it smells delish! Made a few changes, used what I had at hand and hope it turns out at least as yummy as it smells. Can’t wait!

• It was yummy and OMNOMNOM was the right word for it. Thank you, Beth. I will be making this again.

22. Gail says:

Made this tonite. I added some broken up, precooked breakfast sausage, and it was delicious! So easy and quick, too!