Spinach, Mushroom & Feta Crustless Quiche

I’m a big fan of savory breakfasts and this one might be my new favorite. It has endless possibilities and is a cinch to make. …plus, it reheats well in the microwave for a quick dinner!

A quiche is basically an egg and milk custard filled with all sorts of other things (usually cheese and vegetables). Traditionally, quiches are baked into a pie crust but I felt that I had enough cheese in here to cover my fat ration for the day so I just skipped the crust. If you want your quiche in a crust, make this super simple 60 second pie crust.

To make this recipe extra economical, use vegetables that are in season and on sale for a low price. You can do bell peppers, squash, broccoli, anything. I had some mushrooms that I had planned to use for my slow cooker marinara, but forgot about, so I used them in this. I also had leftover feta, parmesan, and mozzarella, so in they went! Lastly, I bought a super inexpensive box of frozen spinach. I probably went overboard on the cheese but I had it on hand, so I had to use it up!

Spinach, Mushroom & Feta Crustless Quiche

Spinach Mushroom Crustless Quiche

spinach, mushroom & feta crustless quiche

• 8 oz. fresh mushrooms $1.99
  • ½ tsp minced garlic $0.06
  • as needed non-stick spray $0.02
  • 1 (10 oz.) box frozen spinach $1.09
  • 4 large eggs $0.83
  • 1 cup milk $0.39
  • 2 oz. feta cheese $0.87
  • ¼ cup grated parmesan $0.39
  • ½ cup shredded mozzarella $0.50
  • to taste salt & pepper $0.05
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. If your frozen spinach is not already thawed, thaw it in the microwave. Empty the box into a colander and let it drain while you begin to prepare the rest.
  2. Quickly rinse the mushrooms and slice them thinly. Place the sliced mushrooms in a skillet coated with non-stick spray, add the minced garlic, and sprinkle a little salt and pepper. Turn the heat on to medium-high and saute the mushrooms until they release all of their moisture and no more water remains on the bottom of the skillet (5-7 minutes).
  3. Spray a pie dish with non-stick spray. Squeeze the rest of the water out of the spinach and spread it out on the bottom of the pie dish. Next add the cooked mushrooms and crumbled feta.
  4. In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs until fairly smooth. Add the milk, parmesan, and another small sprinkle of pepper. Whisk to combine. (This step can be completed while the mushrooms are cooking) Pour this mixture into the pie dish over the spinach, mushrooms, and feta.
  5. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over top. Place the pie dish on a baking sheet for easy transfer into the oven. Place the quiche into the preheated oven and bake until it is golden brown on top and the center is solid. Every oven is different but this should take between 45 minutes and an hour. Slice and serve!

spinach mushroom feta crustless quiche

drain spinachThe key to preventing a soggy quiche is to reduce the moisture in your vegetables. This is why the spinach is squeezed dry and the mushrooms get cooked before adding to the quiche. I start by draining the spinach in a colander and then squeeze the rest of the moisture out before adding it to the dish.

fresh mushroomsNext, move onto the mushrooms. Sometimes pre-sliced mushrooms are the same price as whole, but not this time around…

slice mushroomsSo I washed and sliced my own. I usually cut them in half first (to get a flat surface) and then slice them.

cook mushroomsMushrooms are like sponges that are secretly holding a lot of water, so you need to saute them before adding them to your quiche. I just placed them in a skillet coated with non-stick spray (and a little garlic for flavor) and then sprinkled them with salt and pepper. Just a touch. The salt will help draw out the moisture.

cook mushroomsTurn the heat onto medium or medium high and saute them (cook while occasionally stirring) until the water cooks out. This picture is about half way through the process. You’ll notice that the bottom of the skillet is covered with water that has seeped out of the mushrooms. Just keep cooking past this point until most of that water has evaporated off and the bottom of the skillet is relatively dry. This should take about 5-7 minutes, depending on how hot your skillet is. You can prepare the custard (egg and milk mixture) while you’re waiting for the mushrooms to finish.

fill pie dishCoat the inside of a 9 inch pie dish with non-stick spray. Squeeze the rest of the water out of the spinach and place it in the bottom of the dish along with the cooked mushrooms and feta cheese… in no particular order.

whisk eggsTo make the custard, begin by whisking together four eggs until they are fairly smooth and uniform in texture.

add milk and parmesanNext whisk in the milk and parmesan cheese… and a little more pepper or any other herbs that you might like.

pour on custardPour the custard mixture over the vegetables in the pie dish. Oh, and the quiche is much easier to get in and out of the oven if it’s on a baking dish, so I put it on there before pouring in the liquidy custard mixture.

mozzarellaSprinkle on more cheese (mozzarella in this case) if you want… again, I probably went overboard on the cheese but boy, was it tasty ;)

bake quicheBake the quiche in a preheated 350 degree oven until it is golden brown on top and the center is no longer liquid. This will take anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour depending on your oven. Just start checking it at 45 minutes. You’ll notice as it cooks that it begins to puff up a bit. It will deflate once it comes out of the oven but the “puff” is a good way to tell which areas are cooked and which are still liquid.

spinach mushroom feta crustless quicheSlice and serve! (I prefer mine with a healthy dose of sriracha!)

1. Carroll Adams says:

This recipe is fantastic! I added cooked, drained and chopped thick sliced bacon only because, my man friend thinks a meal isn’t complete without some sort of meat. And he absolutely loved it!!! Oh, it was my FIRST quiche and it turned out perfect! Thank you!

2. Um well you can’t really buy half a teaspoon of garlic, one cup of milk, a handful of cheese, and a of taste salt & pepper. But otherwise, this receipt look quite delicious!

3. Cindy Knox says:

Hi, my dad & husband says I should let you know that your recipe is a total success! Thank you my first try at making quiche was a huge success!

4. Christina says:

Hi, looks like a fantastic recipe – will definitely make this week with summer vegetables. Just adding a hint I saw on TV.. to get all of the water out of frozen spinach put it in a dry cloth and wring it out. Dries right up!

5. It’s a great recipe. I found the exact same one on Spark People. Not a bit of difference.

• Yes, a lot of my recipes have been uploaded to Spark People by people so they can calculate the nutritional values.

6. I am so excited to have found your blog! I have 2 people allergic to mushrooms…what are some things you would you substitute?

• You could do all sorts of vegetables, although if you’re using a watery vegetable, make sure to sauté it first to remove some of the water (same as I did with the mushrooms). Asparagus, zucchini, broccoli, they’re all good!

7. Candi says:

This was a great recipe base. I made some adjustments to suit our own taste. First I used a pie crust, because well I love pie crust. It was nice to see a quiche that did not call for mayo or sour cream. I sauteed the mushroom, (thanks for the tip), with onion and added the spinach for a quick sautee. This came out so good. I am making again tonight. It sure beats paying $9.00 for 1 slice from my the local bakery. Thanks for sharing.

8. Carol says:

This is delicious! I’ve made it twice now and the second time we added some sliced bell pepper to the mushroom saute. It makes for excellent weekday breakfasts.

9. Savannah says:

Made this over the weekend; the only cheese I used was the parm; it was wonderful. Definitely a keeper; could not be easier and nice to have in the fridge for a few breakfasts! Thank you!

10. Linda says:

I have made this several times, the first when I was looking for soft diet recipes. I think it is the best quiche I have ever had. I love that it has no crust and that I can play with it and add different things to it.

11. Krista Keller says:

I tried this at home but used a pie crust mix(instead of making one) and blended it in with the eggs and milk,poured it into my dish(spinach,mushrooms and feta) and it came it pretty uncooked,I kept putting it back in the oven and ended up cooking it for over a hour. It still wasn’t fully cooked.

• You should not have mixed the pie crust mix in with the eggs and milk. The pie crust should be made separately, so that it is a crust on the outside of the quiche.

12. Knew this looked great but made my own changes….used larger quiche pan. Six eggs, 15oz fresh spinach (steamed/drained squeezed well). Sprinkled crisp fried bacon on top before baking. The BEST!

13. Jazzymama says:

Hello I was wondering I do not eat eggs and only eat egg whites do you know if you could use egg whites in this recipe instead of the whole egg. Other than that this looks amazing…. YUMMY I am trying to go partial vegetarian and trying to not eat so much meat but man this look awesome…. If only there was a way to make this with out egg and chesses.

14. Julie says:

I was pressed for time so I cooked it for 40 mins at 375. Worked out fine!

15. Tiffany says:

Loved loved loved your recipe! My new husband loves quiche and he only gets it when he goes home to his mom and I follow instructions well so I figured I give it a try (thanks for words and pictures!) we enjoyed it so much! I appreciate the tip about mushrooms and will be looking at other recipes on your site!!

16. Susi says:

A Quiche has a crust, and a Strata has bread. This my dear is a Fritatta. A yummy looking one at that. Yay for cheese! :-P

17. I made this recipe yesterday after seeing it on Pinterest. It was awesome and I love the versatility of it. Thanks so much!

18. I just made this with adjusments based on what I had on hand, and it was delightful! I used fresh kale in place of the spinach, and it cooked beautifully. I also didn’t have feta or parmesan, so I just used extra mozzarella and added pepperjack cheese too for a kick. I also threw in some bell peppers that were otherwise going to be questionable in another couple days. I did season the veg layer with a bit of garlic salt for fear that it may be a bit bland without the salty feta. Thanks for sharing and I’m looking forward to trying it as written!

19. Brittany says:

Made this tonight and added turkey breakfast sausage. So good!!

20. Karen says:

Another winning recipe! I used skim milk and added a diced sautéed onion. Yum!

• Karen says:

Another winning recipe! I used skim milk and added a diced sautéed onion. Yum!
      Oh and I sautéed my veggies in a cast iron skillet, dumped in the custard and baked it in the oven. Fewer dirty dishes!

21. Elaine says:

Could you make this in an iron skillet? I do not own a pie dish unfortunately. Thanks! Love your site!

22. Rose says:

Another budget bytes success ! I have never made quiche partly because I hate crust and trying to eliminate carbs in my diet anyway. I whipped this up today and I had to stop at 2 slices , LOL.

I added in diced onions and sauteed them with the mushrooms and garlic and added a hint of olive oil.
    I also didn’t have the other cheeses so used mild cheddar for the top and it was delightful. I loved how “veggie heavy” this is , not as much solid egg like most quiche which made it very light.

Thank you for this awesome recipe.

• Rose says:

Oh wanted to add that I reheated it up this morning in my microwave and it’s JUST AS GOOD. I also added some chopped cilantro on top and it compliments it so well. I love this recipe because quiche you really can do whatever you want to suit your needs. Don’t be afraid to experiment!

23. shannon says:

Have you tried this substituting the mushrooms? I am not a huge fan, and would love to try it with something else. Thanks :

24. Wendy garland says:

Can this Crustless quiche be made the day before and heated in the morning?

• You can definitely assemble it the day before and then bake the morning of, although you might need to adjust the cooking time because it will be very cold going in from the refrigerator. You can bake it the day before and then reheat, but eggs tend to get a little over cooked when reheated, so I would suggest baking just before serving.

• Jenny says:

Just finished baking your crustless quiche it went well,looking forward to dinner time to eat it wonderfull.just thought I’d give you thumbs up from Somerset England will try it with bacon and mushrooms next time.

25. Hi! Ӏ’ve been reading youг website for a long time
    now and finally gοt the bravery to go ahead and give you
    a shout out from Dallas Texas! Just ωanted
    tο tell you keep up the good job!