Spinach, Mushroom & Feta Crustless Quiche

I’m a big fan of savory breakfasts and this one might be my new favorite. It has endless possibilities and is a cinch to make. …plus, it reheats well in the microwave for a quick dinner!

A quiche is basically an egg and milk custard filled with all sorts of other things (usually cheese and vegetables). Traditionally, quiches are baked into a pie crust but I felt that I had enough cheese in here to cover my fat ration for the day so I just skipped the crust. If you want your quiche in a crust, make this super simple 60 second pie crust.

To make this recipe extra economical, use vegetables that are in season and on sale for a low price. You can do bell peppers, squash, broccoli, anything. I had some mushrooms that I had planned to use for my slow cooker marinara, but forgot about, so I used them in this. I also had leftover feta, parmesan, and mozzarella, so in they went! Lastly, I bought a super inexpensive box of frozen spinach. I probably went overboard on the cheese but I had it on hand, so I had to use it up!

Spinach, Mushroom & Feta Crustless Quiche

Spinach Mushroom Crustless Quiche

spinach, mushroom & feta crustless quiche

• 8 oz. fresh mushrooms $1.99
  • ½ tsp minced garlic $0.06
  • as needed non-stick spray $0.02
  • 1 (10 oz.) box frozen spinach $1.09
  • 4 large eggs $0.83
  • 1 cup milk $0.39
  • 2 oz. feta cheese $0.87
  • ¼ cup grated parmesan $0.39
  • ½ cup shredded mozzarella $0.50
  • to taste salt & pepper $0.05
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. If your frozen spinach is not already thawed, thaw it in the microwave. Empty the box into a colander and let it drain while you begin to prepare the rest.
  2. Quickly rinse the mushrooms and slice them thinly. Place the sliced mushrooms in a skillet coated with non-stick spray, add the minced garlic, and sprinkle a little salt and pepper. Turn the heat on to medium-high and saute the mushrooms until they release all of their moisture and no more water remains on the bottom of the skillet (5-7 minutes).
  3. Spray a pie dish with non-stick spray. Squeeze the rest of the water out of the spinach and spread it out on the bottom of the pie dish. Next add the cooked mushrooms and crumbled feta.
  4. In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs until fairly smooth. Add the milk, parmesan, and another small sprinkle of pepper. Whisk to combine. (This step can be completed while the mushrooms are cooking) Pour this mixture into the pie dish over the spinach, mushrooms, and feta.
  5. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over top. Place the pie dish on a baking sheet for easy transfer into the oven. Place the quiche into the preheated oven and bake until it is golden brown on top and the center is solid. Every oven is different but this should take between 45 minutes and an hour. Slice and serve!

spinach mushroom feta crustless quiche

drain spinachThe key to preventing a soggy quiche is to reduce the moisture in your vegetables. This is why the spinach is squeezed dry and the mushrooms get cooked before adding to the quiche. I start by draining the spinach in a colander and then squeeze the rest of the moisture out before adding it to the dish.

fresh mushroomsNext, move onto the mushrooms. Sometimes pre-sliced mushrooms are the same price as whole, but not this time around…

slice mushroomsSo I washed and sliced my own. I usually cut them in half first (to get a flat surface) and then slice them.

cook mushroomsMushrooms are like sponges that are secretly holding a lot of water, so you need to saute them before adding them to your quiche. I just placed them in a skillet coated with non-stick spray (and a little garlic for flavor) and then sprinkled them with salt and pepper. Just a touch. The salt will help draw out the moisture.

cook mushroomsTurn the heat onto medium or medium high and saute them (cook while occasionally stirring) until the water cooks out. This picture is about half way through the process. You’ll notice that the bottom of the skillet is covered with water that has seeped out of the mushrooms. Just keep cooking past this point until most of that water has evaporated off and the bottom of the skillet is relatively dry. This should take about 5-7 minutes, depending on how hot your skillet is. You can prepare the custard (egg and milk mixture) while you’re waiting for the mushrooms to finish.

fill pie dishCoat the inside of a 9 inch pie dish with non-stick spray. Squeeze the rest of the water out of the spinach and place it in the bottom of the dish along with the cooked mushrooms and feta cheese… in no particular order.

whisk eggsTo make the custard, begin by whisking together four eggs until they are fairly smooth and uniform in texture.

add milk and parmesanNext whisk in the milk and parmesan cheese… and a little more pepper or any other herbs that you might like.

pour on custardPour the custard mixture over the vegetables in the pie dish. Oh, and the quiche is much easier to get in and out of the oven if it’s on a baking dish, so I put it on there before pouring in the liquidy custard mixture.

mozzarellaSprinkle on more cheese (mozzarella in this case) if you want… again, I probably went overboard on the cheese but boy, was it tasty ;)

bake quicheBake the quiche in a preheated 350 degree oven until it is golden brown on top and the center is no longer liquid. This will take anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour depending on your oven. Just start checking it at 45 minutes. You’ll notice as it cooks that it begins to puff up a bit. It will deflate once it comes out of the oven but the “puff” is a good way to tell which areas are cooked and which are still liquid.

spinach mushroom feta crustless quicheSlice and serve! (I prefer mine with a healthy dose of sriracha!)

1. hi! I was just wondering if anyone has frozen this quiche after they’ve baked it, so it could be eaten later? If so, how did it turn out once you thawed it out? Thanks!

I made this recipe on Sunday and have been enjoying it every morning so far. I added a little bit of breakfast sausage to mine and it’s delicious. Thanks!

2. Barbara says:

How do I substitute frozen broccoli in place of the frozen spinach?

• Let it thaw completely and try to dry it off, if possible (pat a little with a paper towel). I would also maybe chop the pieces a bit smaller.

3. Mrs Ugez says:

I made this recipe tonight (added a few things) and it was DELICIOUS! Absolutely a great recipe that I will be making again.

4. Love the ideas of making good food on a budget

5. Antonia says:

Did I actually just make this quiche and have it turn out absolutely perfect? Why yes, yes I did. It was delicious. Thanks again for a great recipe I will certainly be making again! Made mine with this crust: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-pie-crust/ which took literally 30 seconds extra. I wanted to make the one you suggested but don’t have a food processor and figured it wouldn’t be the same. So proud that I can make quiche now! ;)

6. Lisa says:

My kids and I tried this and enjoyed it. We are going to use a pie crust next time and maybe include some bacon.

7. Wai Ling says:

It was delicious! I used fresh spinach, cooked together with the mushrooms. We loved it. Thank you!

8. Cindy says:

Can’t wait to try this. Can you use unsweetened Almond milk in place of the regular milk? Also I’m not a big fan of Feta cheese, can I use goat milk cheese? Also, I’d be interested in the nutritional info for this recipe.

Thanks

• I’m not sure about the almond milk because it doesn’t have as much fat as the dairy milk I used (2%), but goat cheese will definitely work (I LOVE goat cheese). I don’t have the nutrition info, but there are several websites that will calculate recipe nutrition info for you. Just google “recipe nutrition calculator” to find a few.

9. Daniela says:

This looks so delicious!

I was wondering if you have a suggestion on what you could substitute the mushrooms for?

• You can almost use any type of vegetable that you want in this recipe. Just make sure to sauté it like I did with the mushrooms to prevent having too much moisture.

10. Katy W says:

This recipe was DELICIOUS. I am currently trying to lose weight (13 lbs so far!) and I am on a low carb, high protein diet and this recipe was perfect for me. :o) Therefore, I use MyFitnessPal.com and I regularly put your recipes in on their website to find out the calories per serving. I was ecstatic to find that most of your recipes are pretty low calorie and low fat (with some substitutes). In this recipe I used skim milk and nonfat feta cheese. I didn’t use mozzarella but I’m sure next time I’ll use part skim mozz instead. Either way, this was THE BOMB DIGGITY and I am SO glad I made 2. :o) Thanks for being awesome, Beth. I am legit always on your website and ALWAYS trying your recipes!

11. LissyK says:

I’ve always wondered why recipes call for frozen spinach. I wonder how fresh spinach or kale (or a combo of the two) would work in the recipe?

• It would work great, but you might want to sauté it first to remove some of the moisture. I use frozen a lot because it’s less expensive and doesn’t go bad if I don’t use it all. :)

12. nasha says:

Hi
    The recipe seems easy and well explained with pictures. Just want to ask if I can use soya milk instead or regular cows milk for someone who is lactose intolerant? Will it affect the consistency or texture of the quiche?

• I think it might, yes, although I haven’t actually tried that with this one. This recipe also has cheese, which might be difficult for a lactose intolerant person.

13. Can I make night before

• You probably can, although refrigerating it before baking will probably change the cooking time a bit (the dish and the contents will be very cold when going into the oven).

• Monica says:

I make quiche for breakfast every Christmas morning and I make them the night before. Except the liquid ingredients that I mix in a jar. The next morning I shake the jar and pour over quiche ! Works great!

14. Natalie says:

I tried to make this but it just didn’t work out. I tried FOREVER to squeeze the excess moisture out of the spinach but it still overpowered the dish and made it taste weird and soggy. We ended up throwing most of it out. What did I do wrong?

• Hmmm, I’m not sure. My favorite technique for squeezing water out of spinach is to take a handful and just squeeze it in my fist until it turns into a dry, solid ball. Then I just break that ball up into small pieces and they’re pretty dry.

15. wangari says:

Is the oven temperature of 350 in farenhight or Celsius

16. Can you provide a nutritional content

17. Great recipe. I like the careful instructions and tips as well as the pictures. Mine looked just like the picture when I took it out of the oven – I was so proud I jumped up & down. Thanks for a keeper recipe.

p.s. I think this would be good also with lemon juice and dill added.

18. This cooks up into a serviceable but not life-changing scramble, too, and I’m sure that it’ll be nummy as a breakfast burrito filling. I cant wait for it to cool off enough to use my oven again!

Also WTF people snarking about not being able to buy 1/2 tsp of garlic? Have they never heard of long division? Fractions? Using ingredients in more than one dish?

19. shan says:

Made this (minus spinach but plus chard) in cupcake tins. It came out to a perfect batch of 12. Baked about 35 minutes. Came out perfectly and tasted terrific. Thanks!

To the woman above who said this is a frittata: Frittatas are mostly egg and very very little if any milk and are usually done on the stove and maybe finished off in the oven.

Other commenter about the costs: You buy the food and do the math (or have this blogger do it for ya).