freezer burritos

$7.59 recipe / $0.95 each

Are y’all ready for a Budget Bytes first?! Here it is… a recipe that actually costs MORE than the store bought version!

Yes, you read it right. I made these frozen burritos to replace those guilty-pleasure frozen things that cost around $0.60 each at the store. I’ll openly admit that every time I’m grocery shopping I want to put a few (or ten) in my cart. But then the fear sets in. Something about factory made, super cheap burritos has always frightened me. And thank goodness because that hhas also kept me away from Taco bell. So I decided to make some frozen burritos myself. To my surprise, they were more expensive!

Then why am I posting it? Because I still like the idea. I like that I know what is inside of them and that I put it there. I like the idea of having these handy little bundles in the freezer to just grab and go whenever I don’t have time to prepare something (which will be often these next few weeks). Plus, a lot of you have teenagers in the house and this is a GREAT item to keep around for hungry, grazing teens.

Why are they more expensive? Well, big burrito sized tortillas are surprisingly expensive. I’ll need to learn to make my own to combat this – it’s on my list. Also, I added sliced jalapenos which definitely puts these heads and shoulders above the store bought variety. Lastly, the refried beans ended up being a bit pricey at $0.98 per can. I can buy a whole pound of dry beans for that price (about three cans worth) so next time I’ll make my own refried beans.

Freezer Burritos

Freezer Burritos

freezer burritos

• 8 large tortillas (burrito size) $2.33
  • 2 (15 oz) cans refried beans $1.96
  • 1 can sliced jalapenos $1.27
  • 2 cups shredded cheese $1.96
  • ½ tsp cumin $0.03
  • ¼ tsp cayenne $0.02
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder $0.02
  1. Warm the refried beans in a small pot, stirring until even in consistency and easily spread. Stir in the cumin, cayenne and garlic powder. Taste and adjust seasoning.
  2. Place the tortillas on a plate and warm in the microwave (about 30 seconds) to make them more pliable.
  3. Place about ½ cup of beans, a few slices of jalapeno and ¼ cup of shredded cheese on a tortilla just below center. Fold the bottom up over the fillings, then fold the left and right sides in. Finish the folding by rolling the burrito up (see photos below).
  4. Wrap the burrito in a piece of parchment, foil or plastic wrap using the same method that was used to roll up the tortilla. Secure with tape if desired and label the burrito with its contents. Place the wrapped burritos in a freezer bag.
  5. TO REHEAT: Place the burrito on a plate (without wrapper) and microwave for one minute on high. Check to see if the burrito is heated through and microwave longer if needed.

suppliesHere were my supplies: parchment, tape (which didn’t end up sticking to the parchment anyway), refried beans, jalapenos, cheese and tortillas. I accidentally only bought one can of beans so I only made four burritos today.

heat, season beansHeat and season the beans to your liking. You don’t even have to add anything if you don’t want to. Most refried beans already have a little bit of garlic and stuff mixed in.

beans, jalapenosPlace some beans and jalapenos on the tortilla, just below the center.

cheeseAdd your cheeeeese (the best part).

fold upStart the burrito rolling by folding the bottom up.

fold inThen fold both sides in…

roll upThen finish by rolling the rest of the way up. Now your a master burrito roller.

wrap it upWrap up the burrito and label it… you can do some with, some without jalapenos or 8 different kinds if you want.

freezer bagPlace the burritos in an air tight freezer bag to prevent freezer burn.

Now you have your own taco bell, at home, in your freezer… and it only takes 1 minute till ready to devour, as opposed to the 30 minute drive through line!

1. bobi says:

I’m not sure if I made a comment about these or not but this is such a good idea! I made these a few weeks ago and it was so nice to have available in my freezer for days I didn’t want to cook. I could control what went into them and the portion size. Can’t wait to make your burritos blanco! I just got the ingredients yesterday. Keep up the good work!

2. Alyssa says:

I add green onions and cilantro in with my beans… SO good! Adds a fresher flavor, even when they’ve been frozen and reheated!

3. Lauren says:

Can I freeze in foil or plastic wrap instead?

• I would suggest plastic wrap.

• britt says:

i used foil and it’s working great. i take one out of the foil – microwave for 30 secs or so, put it back in foil loosely and pop in oven or toaster oven (home vs work) until cooked through; 5-7 minutes ish.

SO GOOD!

4. Haley Ford says:

This recipe changed my life! Well maybe not, but it feels like it. I made these, then made more with leftover rice and veggies, and have kept a little bowl of “burritos bits” in the freezer to make them with! They are so conveinent, and I can adjust them to suit my tastebuds any particular day. Love, love this recipe and this blog. I make recipes posted on here all the time, and it’s hands-down the best food blog out there!

5. I’ve made these with brown rice added too!

6. Hi!
    I think the local Aldi has just started selling burrito-sized tortillas, and they’re relatively inexpensive. You can get bell peppers there (red, green, yellow) for $1.50/pack of 3. The refried beans are probably full of crap, but cheap, too.

Do you know much about how well a burrito with other ingredients, like corn/guacamole/bell peppers/rice would freeze and reheat? I’m going to stock up this weekend with some (new teacher, here!), but don’t want to fill them with things that would end up tasting terribly.

Love your blog! Am looking forward to your cookbook.

7. Yeah, with a toaster oven it will definitely need to be thawed first. I’m not sure about the parchment, but I suppose it will help keep the outside from browning too fast. I don’t have a toaster oven (although I wish I did!) so I’m not too familiar with their cooking methods.

I dont own a microwave but I do have a toaster oven….any suggestions on reheating in the toaster oven? I figured I could take one out at night and let it thaw in the fridge…maybe leaving it in the parchment paper while reheating?

• I would not recommend trying the parchment-in-toaster-oven thing. While I think the parchment paper can withstand up to 400 degrees in an oven, you’re also not cooking it so close to the element… you might end up with flambéd burritos! That would be bad.

Commenting for the first time to say that I LOVE this blog. I’ve only tried one recipe so far, but I have LOTS bookmarked (like the pitas; I can’t WAIT to try making my own pitas!) to try out. Thank you so much for posting all this!

9. these*

10. I will definitely be making there, thank you! Great blog by the way, welcome to my blog roll :)

11. Alice – I used canned jalapenos here just for the flavor. Sometimes I like the “pickled” flavor of the canned jalapenos verses the fresh. I use a lot of fresh jalapenos in other recipes, and you’re right, they’re super inexpensive! :)

In the right hand column there are labels for different categories, including “bread.” If you click on it you can see all of the bread recipes I’ve made.

12. I don’t get why you buy canned jalapeños D:

A single jalapeño costs like 1-2 sek (0.1 – 0.3 usd) each in sweden (in a not very cheap store… and our food is expensive compared to the states), tastes more (max one per burrito) and… well, it is not canned. You’re going to freeze it anyway so there is no fresh-ware worries about it. But well, as you mentioned, it’s not there the big money are.

did you ever figure out how to make your own bread?

My family is taco-fanatics and eats it at least once every two weeks :)

13. Ashlee – Yes, I’ve made meat versions and they’re AWESOME :D

14. If I put ground or shredded beef in (browned, of course), along with onions, would they still freeze and reheat well?

15. Mara says:

I live in NYC and the good frozen burritos are SO expensive! The fresh ones made at the cali-mex place down the street from my work are relatively cheap for the neighborhood (“relatively”) especially if I would eat half of it for a another meal but I never do and then I feel ginormous. I will be making these :)

16. Beth- Awesome as always!! :)

17. Anon – I just microwave mine :D

do u microwave or bake it and if bake at what temp and time heh heh

19. Adding kale might make them a bit soggy upon reheating. You can fix that by pre-cooking the kale to remove some of the moisture, and then adding it to the burrito.

If I add a layer of kale will it still freeze safely do you think???

21. Just made these and got them in the freezer. Great recipe, thanks Beth! I froze some of the bean mixture into single serving portions, and made the rest into frozen burritos. I added some chopped green pepper to my bean mix as it cooked, just cause I had one sitting around. Turned out yummy, and I love that it is also healthy and not processed! Looking forward to some quick and healthy lunches in the near future!

If you factor in the utilities used both for cooking and cleaning up and the labor cost (iffy on this one. I think if you use the time spent on meal cooking on a restaurant job that will feed you for free too, you’ll come out ahead. But if you’re a parent, then probably not.) it’ll be much more expensive.

I just finished making a batch of frozen burritos with yams, black and pinto beans (from dried), salsa, colby jack and rice. Ingredient wise and wrapping cost wise, I think it comes out to somewhere around $1.20 to $1.50 each. Definitely more expensive than those disgusting $0.99 rice and bean burritos but slightly cheaper than the organic Amy’s ones. It’s also bigger, far healthier and tastier too. As tasty as the burritos from my favorite Mexican joints. It’s definitely worth making your own burritos since you’ll total control of the quality. But simple bang for buck in staving off hunger? Not so much.

23. Not a stupid question at all! :) It is actually parchment paper that you buy on a roll just like aluminum foil. I just tore off a bunch of squares from the roll. It is usually sold in the same aisle as plastic wrap and aluminum foil but you have to look hard because there is usually only one box. I later decided that it was easier to just wrap it in plastic wrap because it sticks to itself and is more air tight. I just remove the plastic before microwaving.

Perhaps a stupid question, but where do you get those paper wrappers?

Would they reheat well in the oven? I prefer not to have a microwave.

How long do you pop them in the microwave for?

cut the meat when it is still partially frozen (much easier) cook till the juices are absorbed but not dry. ride along with a friend to cosco or sam’s that have a membership. They can usually bring in a guest you just need to shop with cash. I fold sides in first then roll, just my preference. Do not over fill especially if you take to work, etc. Beef and cheddar are good. Pork and chicken I like with mostly jack and a little cheddar. green chiles are especially good with chicken. A little sour cream makes them very creamy if you like it

28. Great info, thanks!! I don’t have a sam’s membership and I don’t think we have a costco here.. BUT, as soon as I get a few days off I plan to turn my kitchen into a burrito factory and make my own refried beans and tortillas. I will report back!

Shop at costco or sam’s to get the ingredients. 7# can refried beans, 5# cheese block and tortillas are sold in 2 dozen packs at about half the price in the grocery store. Salsa is there also much cheaper. Chicken, pork or beef can be added. Buy boneless Chick breast on sale for 2.00 # pork loin is close to that and beef is expensive period 3/4 inch cubes seem to go the farthest and you actually know there is meat in it as opposed to shredded or ground. Just cook in fry pan till done. Paper wrappers can be bought at costco and last a long time. 8-10 burritos fit in a gallon ziploc bag. Label individually or just the freezer bag and freeze. Add anything you want to them, its all to your taste. I make 150-200 at a time, they go quick when you do 6-8 at a time. Heat tortillas in a spare tortilla package for 1-2 min in micro to make them very pliable (and hot!) to roll. I heat a dozen and work with 6 at a time Leaving 6 in bag to stay hot and soft. My average cost is about a dollar/burrito. Not a bean burrito, a meat burrito, comparable to a 3.50-5.00 burrito in a restaraunt. You don’t need 2. Seasoned rice is good in them and will reduce cost. Not too much salsa or you will have a pretty messy (but good) burrito. I have made tortillas. They are easy, but too time consuming, they are very tender and not tough at all like some you buy. Serve on a plate with enchalada/salsa, and cheese on top along with rice and refried beans with a dollop of sour cream and a side salad and you have a pretty impressive meal. Rice and beans and cheese can also be frozen for this. Thaw everything and you can whip this out for quite a few people in 10-15 minutes start to finish

cheap ass bitches..

31. I love Mexican food but ingredients are ridiculously expensive! You’re looking at $4-5 for 8-10 tortillas and about $2 a can for the beans, to say nothing of all the rest of it.

32. I made these today and they are so yummy! I originally made them for my hubby to take to work for lunch this week but I just had to try one. Thank you for such a delicious recipe!

33. This is so clever! And as an added bonus, I bought Trader Joe’s Refried Black Beans with Jalepeno Peppers and skipped buying separate peppers. These look very cute and earthy if you tie them with twine instead of tape (for some reason, tape wouldn’t stick for me). Can’t wait to bring these to the office for an easy lunch.

34. Tiffany says:

i did this for my daughter & boyfriend… i’m not a lover of beans in general, but they both are. i made them with organic black beans (a mix of whole and refried), some mild salsa, finely diced bell pepper i had in the fridge at the time, and for the guy i added hot sauce. i layered the beans with brown rice & a bit of cheese. i think next time i might add in corn, or dice up other veggies i had in the fridge.

they were quite a bit more costly than those ones in the ten pack, but still way cheaper than the gourmet, organic, whole foods ones i actually trust enough to feed my family.

35. Chelsea says:

Great article! If you find that you like them, and aren’t sick of them, I highly recommend trying again with cheaper-sourced ingredients, especially homemade beans which are super fast and cheap.
    The Non-refriend bean recipe that rhea linked to is a huge winner. They taste great! You just have to re-add enough liquid at the end or they will feel dried out.

We get our tortillas at Costco, cheese on sale, make our own refried beans and our total burrito cost (still with all the tasty/healthy aspects of home-made) comes out to closer to 45 cents each and about an hour and a half’s work to make 40. Big batches, and they take up a lot of freezer space, but with two of us going through them, they go pretty quick!

36. Ah! thanks for the recipe! That’s exactly what I was looking for in a (not)refried bean recipe :D I’m definitely going to make them.

37. rhea says:

as far as re-fried beans . . .or mock refried beans .. i really like this recipe . . and it freezes great

38. The tortilla recipe I use, which works fairly well, is:

2 c flour + 1 t salt: combine. Add 1/4 c oil and 1/2 c water.
    Knead until smooth. Supposedly divide into 10-12 balls (8 is about all I can get); let rest at least 15 minutes (better: a few hrs). Roll out very thin, cook on very hot ungreased griddle.

I’ve successfully supplemented up to 1/4 of the flour with fine-ground cornmeal; any more than that means the tortillas break easily.)

SUPER cheap.

39. If you are looking for cheap tortillas, try finding a local Spanish Market.

You may not be able to read most of the labels in the store, but you can find cheap tortillas as well as meat and produce.

Hope this helps! Thanks for the great recipes

40. you could probably omit the jalapenos, or use less on each burrito, to lower the price.
    you could also shred your own cheese from blocks bought on sale for super cheap.

41. Tara S. says:

I have actually attempted frozen breakfast burritos. I was addicted to buying the McDonald’s breakfast sausage burritos every morning so I decided to attempt my own and freeze them.

I used burrito size tortillas, scrambled eggs, black beans, cheese, bell peppers and a few other ingrediants and vwhalla! Made about 10 and wrapped them individually like you and froze them. Every night I’d remove one and place in in the fridge so it wouldn’t be frozen the next morning, grab it on my way to work and pop it in the microwave once I got there. It may not have been an exact replica of McD’s, but it did the job, was cheaper, and wowed a lot of people at work. :)

42. How in the world is it possible that I’ve never thought of this before?! Why would a homemade frozen burrito seem like a revolutionary idea!?
    …I don’t know but I’m totally doing this. I got groceries today so it’s a no-go this week, but next week it’s burrito-making time. =]

43. These look delicious. I’ve made a similar version before, but with black beans. I’m definitely trying these!

44. Thank you for this great idea! My boyfriend and I live in southern california where tortillas practically grow on trees. We make burritos at least once a week I have never thought to freeze them and have them as an easy go to when you just don’t feel like cooking!

I think you could more than half the price using dried beans to make your re-fried beans and make your own tortillas, it only takes about 30 min.

46. Yes, those frozen burritos at the store are quite scary. And gross. Yours, on the other hand, sound pretty tasty and I may just have to give them a try next time I’m living with a guy who complains that I don’t buy the nasty frozen burritos.

47. The type of pickled Jalapenos you got, were in the ethnic isle. if you look around you can find cheaper ones. For some reason stuff in the ethnic isle costs more.

48. I check your blog fairly often when I’m in need of a cheap meal (which is pretty often these days!) but I don’t think I’ve ever left a comment. I’d like to say Go You! These burritos sound pretty good and yes, they would be waaay cheaper if you made your own tortillas and refried beans. I do but I don’t have a great recipe for refried beans yet. I think I’ll try your recipe completely from scratch, I know my husband would love it!

49. Maura says:

I’m pretty much just repeating what you and everyone else has already said about these being valuable because you know what is in them, but I really, really support it — GREAT JOB. The cheap ones are able to be so inexpensive because they are heavy on inferior ingredients, nutritionally and otherwise. These burritos are still “budget bytes” and better for you than the alternative. Thanks!

I’ve done this in the past as well, except I made about 40 of them. I also used very little cheese, and bumped up the filling with veggies like tomatoes, olives, and spinach.

51. Yours turned out so great! I have made freezer burritos in pretty much that same fashion except I used leftover pork butt that I added sauce and Mexican seasoning to. One thing I did with mine is that I also put the date on the wrappers…sometimes we get bad about eating up what’s in the freezer and it’s good to have those dates to remind us and to prompt us to get stuff eaten. But if you aren’t like me then you don’t have to worry about that. :-) I think this was definitely worth the extra cost…they look so much yummier than any fast food burrito.

Hannah

52. These are perfect! My husband would love me even more if I put these in the freezer for him. I would even dare to say that these are probably healthier than the store-bought variety! Great Job!

53. great post, I can’t get frozen burritos at my local supermarket in the UK so will be making lots of these for sure

54. I have never made burritous but have heard so much about them. I should make this and give wih my daughter so that she can put them int he freezer and reheat them. She is in college so she has to cater for her self so this would be really handy.

55. I think in this case it’s ok that your recipe priced out to be more expensive than store bought because the store bought ones have terrible nutritional value. Plus, I’m sure yours taste WAAAAAAY better.

56. Great idea!!! No matter how healthy the rest of my diet gets, I still like buying microwaveable burritos so this is awesome.

57. If homemade tortillas don’t appeal to someone, I know you can get those tortilla 2-for at Sam’s club. I think for around $3?

58. Are you going to revisit the recipe making everything from scratch? I made tortillas at home and they were easy and tasty, although time consuming.