asian sticky wings

Wow. Just, WOW. I’m usually not a fan of eating chicken off the bone because of all of the connective tissue and other weird bits but this sticky Asian sauce makes all wrongs RIGHT. It’s just the right amount of salty, sweet and spicy plus a little dash of “fresh” thanks to the ginger. The sticky gooey sauce is so good that using wet naps to clean your fingers is just a sin. Lick it all off… Don’t waste a drop!

Throwing these wings together and getting them in the oven was so quick and easy which makes them perfect for a week night dinner. I used two pounds of wings but I think this amount of sauce could have held up to three pounds of chicken. Any more and you’ll want to make more sauce. Also, feel free to use boneless pieces if you’re afraid of all the nasty bits… just know that it will be more expensive.

I worked off of this recipe from the Food Network but I didn’t have any oyster sauce so I subbed it with the left over teriyaki sauce that I had in the fridge. I also added a little rice vinegar for a touch of zing. You can adjust the chili garlic sauce to your heat preference but the one tablespoon that I used gave it just a little bit of spice without feeling like my tongue was burning off. Taste the sauce before you add the chicken and adjust it to your liking.

Asian Sticky Wings

Asian Sticky Wings

asian sticky wings

• 2 lbs. chicken wings $3.35
  • ¼ cup honey $0.42
  • 2 Tbsp soy sauce $0.12
  • 1 Tbsp chili garlic sauce $0.15
  • 1 Tbsp sesame oil $0.36
  • 2 Tbsp teriyaki sauce $0.25
  • 1 Tbsp rice vinegar $0.04
  • 2 cloves garlic $0.12
  • 1 inch fresh ginger $0.11
  • 2 sliced green onions $0.10
  • as needed non-stick spray $0.05
  1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. In a bowl combine the honey, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and teriyaki sauce. Peel the ginger and grate it into the bowl using a small cheese grater. Mince the garlic and add it as well. Stir it all to combine.
  2. Place the chicken wings in a colander and rinse well (you don’t know what gets on them in the factory). Cut each wing at the joint to yield a drummet and a wing (see photos below). Add the wings to the bowl of sauce and stir to coat.
  3. Spray a glass baking dish well with non-stick spray to make clean up easy. Dump the whole bowl of wings and sauce into the baking dish. Bake at 450 degrees for 25 minutes, stirring once after 15 minutes to recoat the wings in sauce.
  4. After 25 minutes of baking, stir the wings to recoat with sauce then turn the oven on to broil. Broil for 3-5 minutes, stir then broil again for 3-5 minutes. Because broiling cooks fast and every oven is different, keep an eye on the wings. Stir them when the tops have turned nice and brown and then broil the other side. For me it was between 3-5 minutes. The sauce should have reduced and thickened significantly during the broiling stage.
  5. Let the wings cool for 5 minutes before serving. The sauce will thicken further as it cools. Stir the wings around in the sauce to coat them well before serving. Sprinkle sliced green onions on top.

Asian Sticky Wings

It is all rainy and dark today so please excuse all of the shadows in the pictures.

sauce ingredientsIn a bowl combine the honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, chili garlic paste and teriyaki sauce.

mixed sauceIt will look like this. It’s pretty fluid and thin but it will thicken as it bakes.

peel grate gingerPeel the ginger with a vegetable peeler then use a small grater to grate about one inch of it into the bowl of sauce. Also mince the garlic and add it to the sauce.

ginger garlicAfter adding the garlic and ginger, stir it all together and that’s the magic sauce.

chicken wingsTo maximize your dollar, make sure to buy your wings on special. Mine were one day away from the “sell by” date so they were discounted by about $1.50. SCORE!

whole wingThe pieces look like this with three segments. You’ll want to cut it between the joint to yield one drummet and one wing.

cut wingIt is easiest if you use your hands to first dislocate the joint then slide your knife between. I didn’t learn that until after this picture where I actually tried to cut the bone (not easy).

ready to bake wingsPut all of the wing pieces in the bowl of sauce and stir it to coat. Dump the whole thing into a well oiled glass baking dish. Bake at 450 degrees for 25 minutes, stirring once half way through.

half bakedThis is what they looked like half way through. They are still pretty light and the sauce is pretty liquidy still. Just stir ‘em up and keep baking. The sauce will thicken and the wings will brown during the broil stage.

broiled wingsAfter baking for 25 minutes, turn the oven on to broil. Watch the wings closely. When they turn brown on top, stir them then broil the other side. The sauce should also reduce quite a bit and become thick during this stage. This is the finished product

Asian Sticky WingsLet the wings sit for five minutes before serving so the sauce can thicken just a bit more. Stir them around to coat them well in the delicious sauce. Sprinkle with sliced green onions and dig in!!

Asian Sticky Wings

These are perfect for tailgating and football parties!

Who Dat!

I live in New Orleans now, I’m obligated.

1. Om nom nom! I could mess up a whole big plate of these <3

2. Welcome to New Orleans!

I just recently started following your blog, and I absolutely love it.

3. Oh, how I am lovin’ your blog!

4. Corky says:

This would only be a budget dish if I already had all of those Asian ingredients in my refrigerator. It implies a commitment to cook Asian-style often enough to amortize the purchase of those ingredients over several other recipes.

Unfortunately, I never seem to cook Asian often enough to use up this stuff before its expiration date…

5. That’s right Corky. An inexpensive recipe for one person may not be for someone else. You have to pick your recipes based on what you’ll eat and what is selling for a good price in your area. Once you have those two bits of info, you can do a recipe search to find something that works!

Making this tonight … very similar to one of my favorite recipes from Thailand!

But, please, God, don’t encourage people to have worse table manners than they already do. Licking fingers = gross.

7. For an even easier clean up, line your baking dish with foil, spray with cooking oil, bake the wings, roll up the foil and chuck it in the garbage.

8. I’m drooling…

9. Yum, I love chicken wings! Will give this recipe a go! :)

10. cedarglen@casco.net says:

This looked sooo good and looked up the details. I had virtually everything in the pantry, so off I went. Of Note: Chicken wings used to be almost a ‘trash’ part. The chicken sellers and the Buffalo Wings partners turned them into something special and wings now cost as much – or more than breasts! Go figure. I prefer the better flavor of dark meat, so I used legs at about 25% the cost. Just my preference. (I gave the legs about 10 minutes additional roasting time and exactly the same under the broiler – came out perfect.) There will be a next time, just too good to now make again. I may zing it up a little more, but not much. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

I have just started following your blog. It is great! I love that you picture your ingredients. It is very helpful. I didn’t really know what chili garlic sauce was. So again, thank you. I will be making many of your dishes. YUMMY!!

12. sirpong@gmail.com says:

What brand of glass baking dish do you use? The brands I own, Pyrex and Anchor, say not to use them under the broiler.

13. Melanie ;-) says:

Nice one! ( I have lost count, though I think this was dinner 23#

We both love chicken wings and it was a serious ‘eating out’ treat, but I can buy 2 pounds for about 6$. I know that is almost double what you pay, but its a seriously cheap price up here from a grocery store.

We usually pay about 11$ a pound out at a restaurant. Do the math, even without the sauce (which I have all that on hand anyways since you are a whiz at repeating ingredients in a new and fresh way :-)

That’s a crazy savings of 16$ and I didn’t have to listen to crummy music and drunk people! lol

14. Made these for a dinner with friends and they flew off the plate! So good!

15. Turned out amazing! The sauce didn’t thicken as much as I’d like — in retrospect, probably because I used full-size chicken drumsticks and crammed everything in an 8×8 Pyrex ’cause my doll-size apartment oven can’t handle a bigger pan — so after broiling the meat, I ended up dumping the whole shebang into my biggest frying pan and letting the sauce thicken that way. But the meat turned out incredibly tender, and the flavor of the sauce was divine. Next time, though, I’ll cook it in two batches so the sauce can thicken as advertised. I think that’ll give it an even sticker texture and more intense flavor.

I’ve made these twice and although the flavor is great, my sauce never thickened up…stayed very watery. And your sauce looks so nice and red, mine was brown and unattractive. Any suggestions? I did make these in a non stick pan and used regular sized chicken legs rather than wings.

17. I would try baking them for 15-20 minutes longer before broiling. Give them a second stir at the point when I took them out of the oven and then pop them back in for the extra time. It sounds like your sauce didn’t reduce enough. Basically, more moisture needs to evaporate off and the sugars need to caramelize more. Also, try broiling for a 2-3 minutes longer. It will burn on the edges of the pan but don’t let that scare you into taking them out. The sauce its self won’t be burned. I hope that helps!

I made these last night for dinner. They were SO good. I love that they have a little bit of a kick at the end. Fabulous recipe! Will make again soon , very soon

19. I made it with legs and thighs. Up here in Toronto, Canada, they sell bags of three chicken leg-thigh units (so six chicken pieces) for about $4.50. I took your amount and prepared two legs and two thighs. It was perfect, and tasted delicious. When I took my first bite, I could not believe how flavorful the dead meat was inside. This is like the only thing that has gone right in my life in the past two and a half years. Usually when I try dishes like this, the sauce might taste good, but the chicken is only flavored on the outside and inside it’s just bland white nothing. Here there wasn’t a single stringy bit that was untasty! WHHHEEEEE!

20. Just found your recipe.. have chick legs marinating right now.. we love the legs.. more meat.. less effort.. love the sauce.. and cant wait to grill these tomorrow…

can you sub the chili garlic sauce with anything else?

22. Anon – You could probably use Sriracha, but I wouldn’t use a regular hot sauce (tobasco) because it has a different flavor.

23. Okay… I understand why my brother raves and loves your site.. These wings are now in my recipe box FOREVER.. loved them!! We used legs and the sauce was a little runny.. but I just added some fresh ginger and some extra honey and cooked it down to a glaze and gobbled them up!

Any suggestions on a boneless version?

25. My sauce never thickened :( , wandering what i did wrong

26. Traci says:

Made these last night with a value size pack of wings (4.5lbs) so i doubled the sauce and used 2 pans. I was a tad confused about the baking times. Wasnt sure if they were supposed to be done after the initial 25 mins or if they were supposed to go another 25 after that. But…thats how I did it, total of 1hr cooking time. They turned out great!! My husband just about fell out of his seat when he tasted the sauce and now wants me to throw it on other pieces of chicken. I figured i will just start it on the stove top to thicken depending on what im using it on. And on tonights menu, the Italian Wonderpot!! Cant wait!

• Since making that post I’ve also learned that adding a little cornstarch to the sauce makes it thicken up almost instantly. Just mix the cornstarch with a little water first to make sure there are no lumps. You can definitely cook the chicken by itself in the oven and make the sauce on the stove top, then combine the two at the end. Glad you enjoyed it!

• Katie says:

When you say “a little” cornstarch, how much do you mean? I’m still really bad at estimating how much cornstarch I need to thicken my sauces.

• Hmm, there’s not a lot of sauce for this one, so I’d say 1 to 1.5 tsp cornstarch would be good.

• Katie says:

Thanks for getting back to me. Made this tonight and my sauce didn’t totally thicken up; however, I was using a pretty small baking dish and I don’t think the liquid could spread like it needed to.

The sauce was totally delicious, and I’m kind of glad it was a bit runny. Served it over coconut rice and was in heaven.

27. Ericka says:

Oh my gosh, these look and sound just like some wings we had at a Chinese bistro recently. My boyfriend is going to flip! Maybe I’ll surprise him with this for dinner on the Chinese New Year. By the way, I found your site about a month ago (through Mr. Money Mustache) and have made so many of your recipes already and all have been fantastic. Thanks for sharing your talent! :)

• Ericka says:

Made these last night and holy crap! Amazing! I did broil them a little longer to get that char. Thank you for a new dinner favorite! :)