I needed a light and fresh, summery side dish to go with my Slow Cooker Chicken Ropa Vieja this week. It’s summer, so light and fresh is always good, but when you’re serving a hot, cooked down main dish, you definitely need to off set that with something cold and fresh. This Tomato and Corn Relish is fresh and very simple, in a good way.
You can think of this Tomato and Corn Relish like a pico de gallo on steroids. Fresh tomato, onion, cilantro, and lime juice for that bright fresh flavor, corn kernels for bulk, and a little cumin for extra flavor. You can serve this like a side salad, or even spoon it right onto the Chicken Ropa Vieja as a fresh salsa-like topping. …I kind to like mixing hot and cold things together, but I guess I’m weird like that. :P
Tomato and Corn Relish
- 1/2 lb. frozen corn kernels ($0.75)
- 4 Roma tomatoes ($1.75)
- 1/2 yellow onion ($0.19)
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro ($0.45)
- 1 fresh lime ($0.25)
- 1/2 tsp cumin ($0.05)
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste ($0.02)
- Place the corn kernels in a bowl and allow them to thaw Or, for faster thawing, put the corn in a colander and rinse with cool water until thawed. Allow as much excess water to drain off as possible.
- Dice the tomatoes and onion, and roughly chop the cilantro leaves. Place the thawed corn, tomatoes, onion, and cilantro in a bowl. Add the juice from half the lime (about 2 Tbsp), cumin, and salt. Toss until everything is evenly coated. Taste the relish and adjust the lime and salt if needed. Serve immediately or chill until ready to eat.
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclosure here.
Tomato and Corn Relish
Step by Step Photos
For this recipe I used frozen corn kernels. I like frozen because, unlike canned, they don’t contain any extra salt or sugar. Plus, because they’re not sitting in liquid, they have a better texture. You can use fresh corn if you’d like, but I suggest boiling it briefly first. You’ll probably want about 1.5 to 2 cups if using fresh.
Allow the corn to thaw as you prepare the rest of the ingredients. For faster thawing, you can rinse it under running water in a colander, then let the excess water drain away.
You’ll also need four Roma tomatoes, 1/2 of a yellow onion, and 1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro. If you don’t want to waste the rest of the onion, it can be thrown in with the ingredients for the Chicken Ropa Vieja.
Dice the tomato and onion, and roughly chop the cilantro leaves. It’s best to try to get the tomato and onion pieces roughly the same size as the corn kernels to make an even relish.
Add the juice from half the lime (about 2 Tbsp), 1/2 tsp cumin, and 1/4 tsp salt. Stir until everything is evenly coated. Taste and adjust the lime and salt if desired. Serve the Tomato and Corn Relish immediately, or refrigerate it until ready to eat. Give it a quick stir before serving to redistribute the flavor.