I love doing a big Sunday breakfast or brunch at home. It’s just such a great way to enjoy my day off without spending the money on going out to eat. …And I can do it in the comfort of my pajamas. 😏 But I don’t always have big energy to do a BIG brunch, so these Breakfast Nachos are a fun compromise. They’re definitely a splurge compared to my regular weekday oats, but still super easy. Plus, I can use up whatever ingredients I have left in my fridge as extra toppings! WIN! 🙌
What Makes them Breakfast Nachos?
Okay, so these are pretty much just regular nachos but with scrambled eggs on top, but hey, what better excuse to eat nachos for breakfast?? You can make them even more breakfast-y by adding some browned breakfast sausage or crumbled bacon, but I went with a vegetarian nacho this time around.
What Else Can I Add?
I topped my nachos with eggs, cheese, black beans, tomato, onion, jalapeños, and sour cream, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to possible nacho toppings. Scan your fridge to see if you have any of these other ingredients to add to your nachos:
Tips for Making Nachos
Nachos seem like a no-brainer, but I’ve got a couple of quick tips to really help take your nachos to the next level.
- Use sturdy chips. Avoid “thin & crispy” tortilla chips and go for the kind that are thick and sturdy because they need to be strong enough to lift all those delicious toppings!
- Layer the ingredients! There’s nothing worse than getting a chip with no toppings or a chip so loaded that it breaks under the pressure, so layer your toppings for the best chip-to-topping ratio.
- 1 Roma tomato ($0.36)
- 1/4 red onion ($0.09)
- 1 jalapeño ($0.18)
- 1 15oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained ($0.79)
- 4 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded ($1.25)
- 6 large eggs ($1.20)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp pepper ($0.02)
- 2 Tbsp butter ($0.22)
- 1 15oz. bag tortilla chips ($3.49)
- 1/2 cup sour cream ($0.42)
- Dice the tomato and red onion. Slice the jalapeño. Rinse and drain the black beans. Shred the cheddar cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Whisk together the eggs, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the whisked eggs and gently stir and fold until the eggs are mostly set, but still slightly wet (they'll finish cooking in the oven).
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup. Spread half of the tortilla chips over the surface of the baking sheet, then top with half of the eggs, half of the black beans, and half of the shredded cheese.
- Repeat with a second layer of chips, eggs, beans, and cheese.
- Bake the nachos in the preheated oven for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the nachos from the oven and top with the remaining fresh ingredients: tomato, onion, jalapeño, and sour cream. Serve hot.
See how we calculate recipe costs here.
Love nachos? Check out my Spicy Baked Black Bean Nachos!
How to Make Breakfast Nachos – Step by Step Photos
Prep the toppings first, so they’re ready to go when you need them. Dice one Roma tomato, slice one jalapeño, and dice ¼ of a red onion. Rinse and drain well one 15oz. can of black beans. Shred 4oz. of cheddar cheese.
Begin preheating the oven to 350ºF. Whisk six large eggs in a bowl with ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper.
Heat 2 Tbsp butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium. Once the skillet is hot and the butter is melted, swirl to coat the surface. Add the whisked eggs to a skillet and let them cook, gently folding and stirring, until they are mostly set, but still slightly wet. Do not cook the eggs fully here because they will cook more when the nachos are in the oven.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup. Add ½ of a 15oz. bag of tortilla chips to the baking sheet. The chips do not need to completely cover the surface of the baking sheet.
Add half of the scrambled eggs, half of the drained black beans, and half of the shredded cheddar.
Add a second layer of chips, eggs, beans, and cheese.
Bake the nachos in the fully pre-heated 350ºF oven for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Quickly add your fresh and cold toppings like the tomato, onion, jalapeño, and sour cream (about 1/2 cup total). Serve hot!