I gotta get my veggies and coming up with new ways to do so can be challenging. Since I made the Thai Peanut Sauce today, I thought I would throw together a salad and use the peanut sauce as a dressing. I encountered a couple hurdles when buying the veggies for the salad because it’s winter, nothing is in season and everything was really expensive. I wanted to buy some nappa cabbage, red cabbage, carrots and other veggies and just build my salad from scratch but then, I happened upon a bag mix of ice berg with red cabbage and carrots that was only $1.50 for 6 cups. Well, the bagged mix won the battle because the nappa cabbage alone was $0.98 per pound and each head had to be at least 3 lbs. Anyway, if you don’t agree with the bagged salad mix decision, feel free to make it with whatever you want, that’s just worked for me this time around.
Asian Salad with Peanut Dressing
- 6 cups salad mix (ice berg, carrots, red cabbage) $1.50
- 1 medium cucumber $0.76
- 1 medium red bell pepper $1.50
- ¼ bunch green onions $0.29
- 1 package ramen noodles $0.22
- 1 recipe thai peanut sauce $0.05
- Rinse off the bell pepper, cucumber and green onions. Chop all of them into small pieces (I did small sticks for the pepper and cucumber, regular slices for the onion).
- Before opening the package of ramen noodles, break it up into small pieces in the bag. After opening, either discard the flavor packet or keep it for another time.
- To assemble the salad, put 1 cup of salad mix in a bowl, top with a few pieces of red pepper, cucumber, green onions and a couple tablespoons of broken up ramen noodles. Top the salad with ¼ cup of Thai Peanut Sauce and toss together. Enjoy!
NOTE: If you are eating this salad throughout the week (as I am), store the vegetables individually and separate from the ramen noodles and peanut sauce. When you want a salad, simply combine the veggies, top with the ramen and peanut sauce and you’re good to go. This will ensure that your veggies and noodles stay crisp.
Here are my containers with the salad ingredients. The bagged salad mix is in it’s own bag with a clip holding it closed.
I had a hard time deciding which veggies to use in my salad. If you have any suggestions, feel free to share them!