sriracha peach crisp

So, a couple of weeks ago my friend Jenni (of the vinaigrette slaw fame) sent me a message saying that the Creole Creamery had sriracha peach ice cream. I was all like, “What the WHAT?! Must have some now…” Not even ten minutes later, I ran across this recipe for Hot and Sweet Mango Crumble. So that was it, I had to make a sweet and spicy Sriracha dessert.

Sweet and spicy are a classic pair. If you’re uncertain, think about all of the fruit salsas out there. They go great together! Add a sweet, butter, slightly salty crumble topping and you’ve hit all of the bases. Adding a scoop of cold vanilla ice cream on top balances the heat nicely, but I ate it the rest of the week without and it was still ah-mazing.

Oh, and I got my peaches on sale for $1.49/lb. Score!

Sriracha Peach Crisp

CRUMBLE TOPPING
  • 1 cup rolled oats $0.17
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour $0.14
  • ½ cup brown sugar $0.24
  • ½ tsp salt $0.03
  • ½ cup (1 stick) butter $0.40
  1. Wash the peaches and cut them into small pieces. In a small bowl combine the honey, sriracha, and cinnamon. Pour over the peaches and toss to coat. Sprinkle the cornstarch over the peaches and toss to coat again.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine the oats, flour, salt, and brown sugar. Stir until evenly mixed. Add the butter and mix it in until it forms a crumbly, sand-like mixture. I find it best to just get my hands in there and “squish” it all together.
  3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the seasoned peaches in the bottom of an 8×8 (or round) baking dish. Cover the peaches completely with the oat mixture. Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown on top and the fruit is bubbling up. Serve hot or cold!

sriracha peach crisp I baked some into a small, single serve ramekin just for the photos.

diced peachesWash and dice the peaches. I don’t even bother peeling them.

sriracha honeyIn a small bowl, combine the sriracha, honey, and cinnamon.

season peachesDrizzle the sriracha honey mixture over the peaches and toss to coat. Sprinkle the cornstarch on the peaches and toss to coat again.

oat crumbleIn a separate bowl, first combine the flour, oats, salt, and brown sugar. Stir until they are evenly mixed. Next add the butter (room temperature is easiest).

mix in butterMix the butter in until it forms a crumbly, sand-like texture. I just use my hands.

build crispPlace the seasoned peaches in the bottom of a baking dish and then cover with the oat crumble mixture. Place the dish in a preheated 375 degree oven and bake until the top is golden brown and the fruit mixture is bubbly.

sriracha peach crispAs if the peaches didn’t have a vibrant enough color, the sriracha sauce adds an even more saturated peachy orange color. It’s gorgeous AND delicious!

1. Micky says:

I was looking for a recipe I could use for my frozen peaches and this hit the spot. What a fantastic blog you have.

2. Meghan says:

I just made this tonight–except, I accidentally bought nectarines (they were on sale, too, so whatever) instead of peaches. It was equally delicious as I imagine the original is!

3. Siracha peach ice cream sounds awesome. One of my favorite ice cream is an earl grey siracha from Little Baby’s ice cream here in philadelphia.

4. That looks delicious! Have you ever tried Organicville’s sriracha? It is truly delicious and is gluten free, preservative free, and vegan!

5. I love fruit salsas because of their balance between sweet and spicy, so I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me earlier to add a little bit of heat with Sriracha in my desserts. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

6. I made this without any cornstarch (I had none) or flour (I am gluten-free), and it turned out so surprisingly amazing that I cannot even describe the deliciousness. With the first bite, I thought I should have added more Sriracha, and then I got a spicy attack and it was the perfect amount.
    Great recipe!

7. you are crazy! crazy cool. i love this.

8. MindyD says:

I have three words for you, Beth: yes, Yes, YES! Can’t wait to try this sweet-hot treat!

9. Sriracha in dessert? Whoa! But hey, we use chile with chocolate so often, so why not peaches and sriracha? ;)

10. looks great. Need to have it, got me craving for some sriracha now :) love the pics. thanks for sharing.

11. This is genius! I’m totally going to try making it over the summer!

12. What a fun way to combine both the sweet, sour and spicy, I love Sriracha, on almost everything.

13. I just stumbled across your blog… amazing! I love every bit of it! I’ve already book marked three recipes for future considerations!! I’ll have to check it out more! Great looking recipe as well, who would have thought about adding sriracha!

14. Hi! I just started following your blog and love the recipe ideas…including this one! Can’t wait to give it a try. Thanks!

15. What a cool idea! I love sriracha, but do you think another hot sauce would work for this recipe?

16. Melody says:

I wished I shared your love for Sriracha, or anything spicy for that matter, this is a great recipe for peach cobbler if you just leave it out. I love using honey instead of coating the peaches in white sugar- delish!

17. Wow, what a brilliant idea!

Yeehaw! Now I know another thing to do with all these lovely peaches. Can’t wait to try it!

19. I know what I’m making for dessert this week, thanks :)

Sriracha has affectionately been called “Rooster” in my house for about 7 years now. We’ve added it to everything from ice cream to banana split pie, from BBQ sauce to…well really we’ve tried it on EVERYTHING!! Will try the peach cobbler soon…

21. huh….i’m so intrigued! can’t wait to try it :)

22. Two of my favorite things in the world, combined into one dish. Get outta here! This looks amazing–can’t wait to try it. Thanks so much for posting! :)