Garlic Noodles

Today I made my first visit to our local Vietnamese grocery store where I picked up a couple basic sauces to add to my well stocked kitchen. One of the sauces I bought was an oyster sauce ($1.99 for 18 oz.) which is an excellent condiment for anything from noodles or rice to fish and meat. Oyster sauce gives these garlic noodles a little Asian flair and a lot of depth of flavor. The noodles also have a great balance of salty (from soy sauce) and sweet (from brown sugar) making them a great compliment to any main dish. If you don’t have an Asian grocery store in your town, check your local grocers as well. Oyster sauce is more common than you’d think!

Garlic Noodles

Garlic Noodles

garlic noodles

• 8 oz. (1/2 lb.) angel hair pasta $0.54
  • 4 cloves minced garlic $0.24
  • ½ bunch green onions $0.17
  • 4 Tbsp butter $0.52
  • 2 tsp soy sauce $0.02
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar $0.05
  • 1 tsp sesame oil $0.04
  • 2 Tbsp oyster sauce $0.10
  1. In a large pot, bring water to a boil to cook the noodles according to the directions on the box (enough water to cover noodles, boil for approximately 5 minutes).
  2. While the pasta cooks, mince the garlic and chop the green onions. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is melted and bubbly, add the garlic and onions and saute until they are soft but not browned.
  3. While the pasta, garlic and onions are cooking, mix the oyster sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil together in a bowl.
  4. Once the pasta is done cooking, drain it in a colander. Remove the skillet with the sauteed garlic and green onions from the heat. Add the drained pasta and oyster sauce mixture to the skillet and stir well to coat the pasta. If your pasta is stiff or sticky making it hard to stir, mix in a small amount (1/4 cup or less) of hot water to loosen them up.

Step by Step Photos

garlic onions butterSTEP 3: While the pasta, garlic and onions are cooking, mix the oyster sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil together in a bowl.

oyster sauce mixSTEP 4: Once the pasta is done cooking, drain it in a colander. Remove the skillet with the sauteed garlic and green onions from the heat. Add the drained pasta and oyster sauce mixture to the skillet and stir well to coat the pasta. If your pasta is stiff or sticky making it hard to stir, mix in a small amount (1/4 cup or less) of hot water to loosen them up.

garlic noodlesNOTE: I garnished my noodles with some left over green onions and a couple sesame seeds although neither is necessary. Everyone likes a different ratio of sweet to salty so taste your noodles after mixing them in the sauce to see if you prefer more soy sauce or brown sugar.

A word of warning… be careful with these noodles because they are addictive! While shooting the photos and cleaning up the kitchen I found myself grabbing bite after bite until my stomach wanted to explode. Be careful.

vietnamese groceriesMy purchases from the Vietnamese Grocery store:

rice noodles $1.49
chili garlic paste $2.19
oyster sauce $1.99
fish sauce $1.19
sweet chili sauce $2.49

All of these sauces are “staples” and are only needed in small quantities in recipes meaning they’ll last a long LONG time!

UPDATE: The Walmart Neighborhood Market that I was just at had oyster sauce, sesame oil and about 3 or 4 different kinds of sweet chili sauce while the Super Walmart I was at last week had no oyster sauce or sweet chili sauce. So, if you don’t have an Asian grocery store, be sure to check all of your markets because even if they are the same company, their stock can very from location to location!

1. Kristy says:

So easy, quick, and most importantly, DELICIOUS! It’s a noodle dish that’s versatile and can go with any types of meat dishes. Thank you for this recipe. My belly and I love you :)

2. Allison says:

Could you please clear the advertisement that is blocking the ingredient list for Garlic Noodle. Thank you.

• Uh-oh, there definitely shouldn’t be an ad there! It doesn’t show up there for me, though. What size screen are you looking at it with (desktop, laptop, tablet, phone, etc.)? I hope I can figure out why that’s happening and get rid of it!

3. Kari says:

Made with brown rice vermicelli and added some cut-up chicken. Kids loved it. It was a little sweet for the adults, but otherwise easy and great. Will probably cut the sugar in half next time, but definitely making this again.

4. Just made this but didn’t have angel hair pasta so I used ramen and I also didn’t have oyster sauce so I used teriyaki sauce instead. Still very delish and SO easy.

5. Maria says:

I have made these over and over again. They are very addicting. I do add about a cup or so of fresh sliced mushrooms when I an sautéing the garlic and the green onions! Simply delicious! Thank you so much for this recipe.

6. Stephanie says:

This recipe is great! I doubled everything except the brown sugar and added shrimp for a point of pasta. So good! I think angel hair pasta is perfect for it as well. Even my picky boyfriend loved it. Can’t wait for left overs!

7. Debra says:

My daughter needed a suggestion for a dish to take to a dinner party tonight. Fortunately I found your site last week and Pinned this recipe so I wouldn’t forget to try it. We had all the ingredients, so, I read the recipe and directions to my daughter and she did the preparation. The entire process took less than 30 minutes and the Garlic Noodles are delicious. Thanks for a super-easy, really good recipe.

8. Joan says:

Just made it with what I had in my fridge/cabinets. It is wonderful! I love pasta, pretty much anything with garlic and oriental so this recipe is just a win for me (: I unfortunately didn’t have any green onions but I just made it without and it was still delicious! I will definately be getting some green onions so I can really make it for my next weeks menu. Thank you for posting this and I will definately be trying more of your recipes especially the sesame chicken!

9. Awww, thank you Sassy!! I’m so glad you’re enjoying it all so much! :D

10. Thank you Beth, i went and got some Kikoman Soy, and added that! my 3 Kids loveddddd this dish, especially my 8 yr old. i cannot believe how good Angel Hair “Pasta” works as a Noodle replacement, bye bye instant Mi-goreng lol.

ur blog i discovered about a week ago, and every day now i sit down and look up a recipe of yours. thank you for all the amazing love and effort u put into this page. tonight we are having the Curried Ground Beef on Rice. and ur Hawaiian Quesdillas are THE BOMB and the Chicken in Peanut Sauce :)

thank you for helping this Single Mumma of 3 who loves to cook, not need to rely on store bought recipe bases another day!

xoxoxoxo

11. Sassy – I’ve never used sweet soy sauce before, so I don’t know how it would work in this recipe… there is already some brown sugar, so a sweet soy sauce may be a little too much.

12. making this tonight, getting the ingredients in a few hours. should i use the SWEET soy sauce we have at home, or buy some normal soy sauce? we have premium soy sauce at home but BAM that stuff is strong :/ can’t wait, my Kids will love it :)

13. Betsy says:

I’ve cooked these quite a few times now, because this remains one of my very favorite recipes I’ve ever fixed, and I’ve tried a few variations for laziness, health, etc. :)

Basically, the two ways to add stuff to it would be to add something that needed to be cooked a little to the garlic and green onions, or something that just needed to be heated in with the noodles. I’ve added bok choy using the former method to get it a little wilted and garlicky – and I think tofu would work just as well – and tonight, when I was all by myself and super lazy and without green onions anyway, I made the sauce in the bowl I was going to eat out of, added a little garlic powder to the sauce to skip sauteing, and dumped some frozen stir fry veggies into the water with the noodles just before I strained them. Both mods are super easy, and you can pretend you’re eating healthy with some vegetables!

14. Tiff L says:

Amazing! And SO beginner-friendly! And I mean really really beginner friendly. This is the FIRST time I’ve made pasta without relying on a jar of sauce :)

I made this twice! First time following exactly (yum!) second time I felt comfy to make a few changes – I used 1 tbsp less butter (I think I’m going to slowly try to cut more to find the least amount of butter I can get away with!) and added mushrooms and cabbage saute along with the garlic & onions in butter.

15. What a fantastic meal! I added some chicken that I marinated for an hour or so in soy, ginger and a touch of brown sugar and tossed in some green beans as well and it was delicious! It added about $1.99 to the total cost of my recipe, still a great low cost meal at just about $0.91 per serving!

Thanks so much for all your great recipes!

16. Oh yeah, I loved these. I served them with teriyaki salmon and an orange and cucumber salsa. And I thought I’d done all right by not eating too many, but then BAM all the noodles hit my belly and I realized I’d eaten two helpings…and finished off my littlest’s plate. Good stuff.

A quick and tasty lunch. As always your recipes are easy to follow and tend to include ingredients I always have on hand. Thanks.

These were the perfect foil for my Sriracha Grilled Chicken. Substituted unsalted butter and honey for the brown sugar. I love your blog!

Edie

19. I just let these noodles cooked breakfast. They really great. Thank you!

20. I keep trying your recipes and I have yet to be disappointed! Although I will probably tweak my salty/sweet ratio next time (I used low sodium soy sauce and packed the brown sugar, so it was a little on the sweet side for me), I will certainly be making this again. Such a versatile dish! I will likely try adding more veggies (broccoli, bell pepper, snow peas, bok choy) as well as some meat next time to beef it up a little and make it more of a main dish.

I absolutely love these noodles! They are so simple and taste wonderful. They are now one of my 5 yo daughter’s favorite foods. We are huge fans of Asian food and these noodles go with just about every dish I make. Thanks for the recipe :) ~Angie

22. OH MY GOD, THESE NOODLES. Jiminy frig, these were some of the best things I have fixed in… well, this is definitely one of the best results I have gotten out of any recipe ever, let’s leave it at that. I used vegetable oil for the green onions and garlic powder, for the record, and am now going to have to make myself not fix this every day for the rest of the semester. AMAZING.