Garlic Noodles

Today I made my first visit to our local Vietnamese grocery store where I picked up a couple basic sauces to add to my well stocked kitchen. One of the sauces I bought was an oyster sauce ($1.99 for 18 oz.) which is an excellent condiment for anything from noodles or rice to fish and meat. Oyster sauce gives these garlic noodles a little Asian flair and a lot of depth of flavor. The noodles also have a great balance of salty (from soy sauce) and sweet (from brown sugar) making them a great compliment to any main dish. If you don’t have an Asian grocery store in your town, check your local grocers as well. Oyster sauce is more common than you’d think!

Garlic Noodles

Garlic Noodles

garlic noodles

• 8 oz. (1/2 lb.) angel hair pasta $0.54
  • 4 cloves minced garlic $0.24
  • ½ bunch green onions $0.17
  • 4 Tbsp butter $0.52
  • 2 tsp soy sauce $0.02
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar $0.05
  • 1 tsp sesame oil $0.04
  • 2 Tbsp oyster sauce $0.10
  1. In a large pot, bring water to a boil to cook the noodles according to the directions on the box (enough water to cover noodles, boil for approximately 5 minutes).
  2. While the pasta cooks, mince the garlic and chop the green onions. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter is melted and bubbly, add the garlic and onions and saute until they are soft but not browned.
  3. While the pasta, garlic and onions are cooking, mix the oyster sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil together in a bowl.
  4. Once the pasta is done cooking, drain it in a colander. Remove the skillet with the sauteed garlic and green onions from the heat. Add the drained pasta and oyster sauce mixture to the skillet and stir well to coat the pasta. If your pasta is stiff or sticky making it hard to stir, mix in a small amount (1/4 cup or less) of hot water to loosen them up.

Step by Step Photos

garlic onions butterSTEP 3: While the pasta, garlic and onions are cooking, mix the oyster sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil together in a bowl.

oyster sauce mixSTEP 4: Once the pasta is done cooking, drain it in a colander. Remove the skillet with the sauteed garlic and green onions from the heat. Add the drained pasta and oyster sauce mixture to the skillet and stir well to coat the pasta. If your pasta is stiff or sticky making it hard to stir, mix in a small amount (1/4 cup or less) of hot water to loosen them up.

garlic noodlesNOTE: I garnished my noodles with some left over green onions and a couple sesame seeds although neither is necessary. Everyone likes a different ratio of sweet to salty so taste your noodles after mixing them in the sauce to see if you prefer more soy sauce or brown sugar.

A word of warning… be careful with these noodles because they are addictive! While shooting the photos and cleaning up the kitchen I found myself grabbing bite after bite until my stomach wanted to explode. Be careful.

vietnamese groceriesMy purchases from the Vietnamese Grocery store:

rice noodles $1.49
chili garlic paste $2.19
oyster sauce $1.99
fish sauce $1.19
sweet chili sauce $2.49

All of these sauces are “staples” and are only needed in small quantities in recipes meaning they’ll last a long LONG time!

UPDATE: The Walmart Neighborhood Market that I was just at had oyster sauce, sesame oil and about 3 or 4 different kinds of sweet chili sauce while the Super Walmart I was at last week had no oyster sauce or sweet chili sauce. So, if you don’t have an Asian grocery store, be sure to check all of your markets because even if they are the same company, their stock can very from location to location!

1. Great article. I love your site! and I love the design too. I will be linking you soon on my blog

2. awesome, thanks!!

3. I love this recipe, my mother actually makes something similar to this but it has a different dichotomy of tastes so this looks interesting! Definitely going to try this during the week.

4. Made it tonight – absolutely delicious! I used Dreamfields pasta so it was delicious and very low cal. This recipe will be in heavy rotation now.

5. I made this today. Let me tell you one thing my roommates couldn’t get enough of it, they inhaled it. it was delicious

6. I had this today, and it was amazing. It tastes great with a little sriracha!

7. I made this the other day but I didn’t have everything on hand so I did some substitutions. I used olive oil instead of sesame and chili garlic paste instead of oyster sauce and sugar so mine was just spicy no sweet but still delicious. I’ve been meaning to get some oyster sauce anyways so I’ll probably do it the real way eventually. Thanks!

8. I would highly suggest getting some sesame oil. You can get a small bottle for under $3 and just a little splash gives A LOT of flavor. It is one of my all-time favorite ingredients!

9. This comment has been removed by the author.

10. I have seen this tonight at THE BEST THING I EVER ATE at Food Network. This sounds really good and look simple to make. I can’t wait to try it. Thanks!

These were some of the best noodles I’ve ever had. Thank you.

Made this along with a few other dishes for some friends last night. They couldn’t get enough of it, and I had all the ingredients left to make it again for lunch! Thanks!

13. These noodles were so good with the Sriracha chicken strips! I think next time I make them I would use about half as much butter, and I added chili garlic paste with the sauteing onions and garlic. Delicious!

14. I made these noodles tonight for dinner and they were great! I’ll definitely move them into regular rotation in my menu planning.

15. Hello!!
    All Your recipes are great.
    I particularity love noodles and this recipe seem to be very good.
    Thanks.

I LOVE these. Took some leftovers to school for lunch, and everyone wanted the recipe. Great post!

I made these tonight and they were fabulous! I recently got a great Bulgogi (Korean short ribs) recipe from my dad, and as I was eating your garlic noodles, I had the inspiration for a “BYOC-Bring your own chopsticks” party. I can’t wait to cook these for my friends!

18. Oh my gosh these are so. good. I inhaled the whole batch and now my stomach hurts… but it’s such a good kind of hurt. I used whole wheat angel hair and didn’t have oyster sauce, but they were still awesome. Cannot wait to try again with the oyster sauce! Your blog is so fantastic.

19. Kitty says:

Wow, I made this last night (after finding your recipe through search) and like you said, it was hard to stop after a plate! But I managed to… have to save the rest for lunch today :) Now I’m really lookiing forward to it! I actually skipped the brown sugar and may skip the sesame oil next time as there was enough oil with the butter.

20. Beth, thanks a million! These are absolutely delicious, and with the addition if a thinly sliced half a chicken breast I added in for only about $1.50 more, this was a one dish meal that fed the five of us. (The kids loved the “Chinese buffet” noodles!!) ; ) BTW I stocked my kitchen with all items I needed at Target, there’s a great selection and prices are wonderful. With about $200, I bought ingredients for at least 100 recipes of yours!

21. I just made these noodles for lunch. They were awesome. Thank you!

22. Beth,

I found your site yesterday, made this as my first recipe found here and it was fabulous! My husband went back for 2nds and we both had the leftovers today for lunch! I will definitely be making this dish often! I did use regular spaghetti noodles and it was fine, but looking forward to using the angel hair pasta next time. I also used red onion, didn’t have any green. I added some chopped asparagus, because it was going to go bad…so I just sauteed it with the onion and garlic. It was beyond delicious! Thanks!!

24. Great recipe! Will cook this for my family more often. Maybe I’ll even throw in some paprika to make it a bit spicy :)

25. Wow, I want to make it in home , I got all information about it .

26. Android operating system is developed for the smart mobile handset and later on following the liberal licensing policy of Google Inc every programmer and non programmer has entered into the foray to develop their personal android application.

Hey! Just a tip when buying fish sauce – it should ideally be reddish-brown in colour, and not too salty. If it makes your food taste fishy, it’s NOT a good one!

28. These are GREAT statistics. Thanks for sharing your findings!!!

Just finished eating this… Very delicious! First recipe Ive done on this blog, and there are so many more great ideas. Look forward to trying more!

30. I like to know it
    but can you share a post about best cleaning products ?

31. Jamie says:

Thanks for the delicious recipe!!!! I used oyster mushroom sauce instead of real oyster sauce and added minced ginger (1tsp) to the onion/garlic mixture. I also realized at the end that I’d used up all the soy sauce yesterday, so I improvised with vinegar and some teryaki. Next time I will definitely do it with soy sauce (and maybe some kale), though it was buenissimo all the same. Great, easy to follow directions too by the way!

32. I really enjoy reading the post, thanks for sharing I really like it, I already bookmarked it, thank you guys.

33. This is really an awesome post! Thanks for the information you have provided here. I am bookmarking it now.

34. This was so amazing. I didint use green onions since I didint have any, but I did add in some Sriracha sauce…..I want to eat this daily now :P

35. The best garlic noodles available in the country today is from Thanh Long Restaurant found in the greater Los Angeles area.

36. Beth- do you have a print option? for goodness sake please give us a print button! I have been waiting over a year it seems!

37. Stephanie – Ooops, I’ve added it to about 2/3 of the pages but I haven’t finished yet!! But, you can go to printfriendly.com and put in just about any URL and it will make it printer friendly! I’ll try to get the rest of the buttons added soon :)

38. He leído tu blog y encontrar que sus artículos son increíbles, i han añadido este en mi favorito. Muchas gracias.

39. You are so right! It’s look pretty cool :) Keep it up bro. Thank you for sharing information you article are very simple and nice to read.

40. I just made these noodles for breakfast. They were awesome. Thank you!

41. Nice post.. I am really impressed and you do an appreciative work.. thanks for sharing… i like to read this topic. please share something more…
    Thanks..

I just made this tonight with the teriyaki salmon w/
    sriracha mayo. Both were amazing! Love love love your blog!

43. I have seen this tonight at THE BEST THING I EVER ATE at Food Network. This sounds really good and look simple to make. I can’t wait to try it. Thanks!

44. Wow!! Looks so delicious..I just made these noodles for breakfast.

45. These noodles were so good with the Sriracha chicken strips! Definitely going to try this during the week.

46. I just made these noodles for lunch. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

47. Taste really good and look simple to make. I can’t wait to try it. Thanks!

48. Trish says:

Made this using shirataki noodles (cutting back on the carbs) and adding in some fish tofu and baby bak choy. My mum and I loved it for lunch. However, next time I’m thinking less butter as even with half the butter it ended up being a tad bit too much.

49. Just FYI, these taste really good with the sriracha sauce from your Thai meatloaf :) I accidentally poured that glaze over the noodles instead of the sauce for this one, but it still turned out OK! And this sauce tastes great on the meatloaf, too :)

50. Alyssa B says:

You’ve convinced me to go buy some oyster sauce and some fish sauce. I see them as ingredients in a bunch of asian recipes I want to make, but I’ve skipped them because I thought the sauces were expensive and wouldn’t last long. Thanks for the info!

51. OH MY GOD, THESE NOODLES. Jiminy frig, these were some of the best things I have fixed in… well, this is definitely one of the best results I have gotten out of any recipe ever, let’s leave it at that. I used vegetable oil for the green onions and garlic powder, for the record, and am now going to have to make myself not fix this every day for the rest of the semester. AMAZING.

I absolutely love these noodles! They are so simple and taste wonderful. They are now one of my 5 yo daughter’s favorite foods. We are huge fans of Asian food and these noodles go with just about every dish I make. Thanks for the recipe :) ~Angie

53. I keep trying your recipes and I have yet to be disappointed! Although I will probably tweak my salty/sweet ratio next time (I used low sodium soy sauce and packed the brown sugar, so it was a little on the sweet side for me), I will certainly be making this again. Such a versatile dish! I will likely try adding more veggies (broccoli, bell pepper, snow peas, bok choy) as well as some meat next time to beef it up a little and make it more of a main dish.

54. I just let these noodles cooked breakfast. They really great. Thank you!

These were the perfect foil for my Sriracha Grilled Chicken. Substituted unsalted butter and honey for the brown sugar. I love your blog!

Edie

A quick and tasty lunch. As always your recipes are easy to follow and tend to include ingredients I always have on hand. Thanks.

57. Oh yeah, I loved these. I served them with teriyaki salmon and an orange and cucumber salsa. And I thought I’d done all right by not eating too many, but then BAM all the noodles hit my belly and I realized I’d eaten two helpings…and finished off my littlest’s plate. Good stuff.

58. What a fantastic meal! I added some chicken that I marinated for an hour or so in soy, ginger and a touch of brown sugar and tossed in some green beans as well and it was delicious! It added about $1.99 to the total cost of my recipe, still a great low cost meal at just about $0.91 per serving!

Thanks so much for all your great recipes!

59. Tiff L says:

Amazing! And SO beginner-friendly! And I mean really really beginner friendly. This is the FIRST time I’ve made pasta without relying on a jar of sauce :)

I made this twice! First time following exactly (yum!) second time I felt comfy to make a few changes – I used 1 tbsp less butter (I think I’m going to slowly try to cut more to find the least amount of butter I can get away with!) and added mushrooms and cabbage saute along with the garlic & onions in butter.

60. Betsy says:

I’ve cooked these quite a few times now, because this remains one of my very favorite recipes I’ve ever fixed, and I’ve tried a few variations for laziness, health, etc. :)

Basically, the two ways to add stuff to it would be to add something that needed to be cooked a little to the garlic and green onions, or something that just needed to be heated in with the noodles. I’ve added bok choy using the former method to get it a little wilted and garlicky – and I think tofu would work just as well – and tonight, when I was all by myself and super lazy and without green onions anyway, I made the sauce in the bowl I was going to eat out of, added a little garlic powder to the sauce to skip sauteing, and dumped some frozen stir fry veggies into the water with the noodles just before I strained them. Both mods are super easy, and you can pretend you’re eating healthy with some vegetables!

61. making this tonight, getting the ingredients in a few hours. should i use the SWEET soy sauce we have at home, or buy some normal soy sauce? we have premium soy sauce at home but BAM that stuff is strong :/ can’t wait, my Kids will love it :)

62. Sassy – I’ve never used sweet soy sauce before, so I don’t know how it would work in this recipe… there is already some brown sugar, so a sweet soy sauce may be a little too much.

63. Thank you Beth, i went and got some Kikoman Soy, and added that! my 3 Kids loveddddd this dish, especially my 8 yr old. i cannot believe how good Angel Hair “Pasta” works as a Noodle replacement, bye bye instant Mi-goreng lol.

ur blog i discovered about a week ago, and every day now i sit down and look up a recipe of yours. thank you for all the amazing love and effort u put into this page. tonight we are having the Curried Ground Beef on Rice. and ur Hawaiian Quesdillas are THE BOMB and the Chicken in Peanut Sauce :)

thank you for helping this Single Mumma of 3 who loves to cook, not need to rely on store bought recipe bases another day!

xoxoxoxo

64. Awww, thank you Sassy!! I’m so glad you’re enjoying it all so much! :D

65. Joan says:

Just made it with what I had in my fridge/cabinets. It is wonderful! I love pasta, pretty much anything with garlic and oriental so this recipe is just a win for me (: I unfortunately didn’t have any green onions but I just made it without and it was still delicious! I will definately be getting some green onions so I can really make it for my next weeks menu. Thank you for posting this and I will definately be trying more of your recipes especially the sesame chicken!

66. Debra says:

My daughter needed a suggestion for a dish to take to a dinner party tonight. Fortunately I found your site last week and Pinned this recipe so I wouldn’t forget to try it. We had all the ingredients, so, I read the recipe and directions to my daughter and she did the preparation. The entire process took less than 30 minutes and the Garlic Noodles are delicious. Thanks for a super-easy, really good recipe.

67. Stephanie says:

This recipe is great! I doubled everything except the brown sugar and added shrimp for a point of pasta. So good! I think angel hair pasta is perfect for it as well. Even my picky boyfriend loved it. Can’t wait for left overs!

68. Maria says:

I have made these over and over again. They are very addicting. I do add about a cup or so of fresh sliced mushrooms when I an sautéing the garlic and the green onions! Simply delicious! Thank you so much for this recipe.

69. Just made this but didn’t have angel hair pasta so I used ramen and I also didn’t have oyster sauce so I used teriyaki sauce instead. Still very delish and SO easy.

70. Kari says:

Made with brown rice vermicelli and added some cut-up chicken. Kids loved it. It was a little sweet for the adults, but otherwise easy and great. Will probably cut the sugar in half next time, but definitely making this again.