Garlic Noodles

(updated 7-28-15)

Today I made my first visit to our local Vietnamese grocery store where I picked up a couple basic sauces to add to my well stocked kitchen. One of the sauces I bought was an oyster sauce ($1.99 for 18 oz.) which is an excellent condiment for anything from noodles or rice to fish and meat. Oyster sauce gives these garlic noodles a little Asian flair and a lot of depth of flavor. The noodles also have a great balance of salty (from soy sauce) and sweet (from brown sugar) making them a great compliment to any main dish. If you don’t have an Asian grocery store in your town, check your local grocers as well. Oyster sauce is more common than you’d think!

Garlic Noodles - BudgetBytes.com

Garlic Noodles

• 8 oz. (1/2 lb.) angel hair pasta $0.54
  • 4 cloves garlic $0.24
  • ½ bunch green onions $0.35
  • 4 Tbsp butter $0.50
  • 2 tsp soy sauce $0.20
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar $0.05
  • 1 tsp sesame oil $0.40
  • 2 Tbsp oyster sauce $0.26
  1. Add the oyster sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil to a bowl and stir until combined.
  2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the noodles according to the package directions (boil for 7-10 minutes). Drain the cooked noodles in a colander, then set aside.
  3. While the pasta cooks, mince the garlic and slice the green onions. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Once the butter is melted and bubbly, add the garlic and onions (save a few for garnish) and sauté until they are soft and fragrant (1-2 minutes).
  4. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the drained pasta and oyster sauce mixture to the skillet, and stir well to coat the pasta. If your pasta is stiff or sticky making it hard to stir, sprinkle a small amount of hot water over the pasta to loosen it up. Garnish the pasta with any reserved sliced green onions, then serve.

Garlic Noodles - BudgetBytes.com

Step by Step Photos

Mix SauceMix the sauce before you begin. In a small bowl stir together 2 Tbsp oyster sauce, 2 Tbsp brown sugar, 2 tsp soy sauce, and 1 tsp toasted sesame oil. Stir until combined.

Slice Green OnionsBring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and set aside. While the pasta is cooking, mince four cloves of garlic and slice about four green onions (1/2 bunch).

Sauté Garlic and Green OnionsHeat 4 Tbsp of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Once melted, add the minced garlic and most of the sliced green onions (save a few for garnish). Sauté the garlic and green onions until soft and fragrant (1-2 minutes).

Add Noodles and SauceRemove the skillet from the heat, then add the cooked and drained pasta, and the prepared sauce.

Mix Pasta and SauceToss the ingredients in the skillet until the pasta is evenly coated with sauce. Garnish with the reserved green onions and serve.

Garlic Noodles - BudgetBytes.comTotally addictive… BEWARE.

Garlic Noodles - BudgetBytes.com

1. I’m posting on this super late, but this has become a staple in my family over the past three years. Absolutely delicious and easy to change up (for example, I love making the sauce but using it on rice instead of noodles). Garlic noodles never last long in my house.

2. Brittany says:

I just made this and it’s delicious! I wouldn’t change a thing. I would, however, go back and double the recipe for the entire box of pasta. Mmm.

3. Sandra. says:

Yum. I just love your recipes and this was another worthy of saving in the recipe book.
    Husband is allergic to shellfish, so I couldn’t do oyster sauce. I subbed black bean sauce with garlic for the oyster sauce and the garlic.
    OMG. I am so happy to have a new recipe! I served this with grilled chicken breast (thin slice and seasoned with adobo seasoning), along with salad topped with grape tomatoes. YUM.

4. Thoughts about using rice noodles?

• I think it would be okay. The sauce is so good that I think it could go over almost any type of noodle.

• Kiera says:

I use rice noodles for this recipe. Just be careful, as rice noodles can get soft really fast.

• Kiera says:

I’d like to add to my earlier comment that rice noodles soak up the sauce beautifully.

5. Juniper says:

Some 99 Cents Only Stores in my part of the world carry oyster sauce. Obviously not high end, but very budget friendly!

6. Sarah says:

Hi there, love your recipes, thank you for them :) I’m dying to try this recipe but my husband and I are vegetarian. Do you know of any vegetarian sauce options that would be a good substitute for the oyster sauce? I know I could just omit it but I’m sure I would lose some major flavor. Thoughts?

• Yeah, you definitely don’t want to omit the oyster sauce because it is responsible for a LOT of the flavor and the sauce’s consistency. Oyster sauce is pretty unique, though, so I think your best bet might be to see if you can find a vegetarian version of Oyster sauce at a health food store. You *might* be able to do something similar with hoisin sauce, but hoisin is quite a bit sweeter than oyster sauce, so you’d want to reduce the brown sugar some. It would take some experimenting.

• If you live near an Asian grocery store you can find vegetarian oyster sauce. Mine has at least 3 different brands of it. Its made from mushrooms.

7. Ummmm…oyster sauce isn’t vegetarian… It contains oysters…

• Do I have this mislabeled as vegetarian somewhere? I hope not! If so, that was a mistake and I need to fix it ASAP. Thanks!

8. tiffany says:

Big fan of your recipes! I made this tonight as a quick dinner after work for the kids and me. My oldest is a huge Asian fan and is loving this dish! I added a bok choy I had in my fridge to the garlic and green onions. I love it because she loves it and it’s so easy and cheap! I equally love its flavor as well.

9. Erica says:

I am in love with this and so is my daughter. I made it with earth balance vegan butter for her allergies and cut up some chicken. We did cut down on the sugar a tiny bit and think we will continue to play with that, but this was so easy and she gobbled it up. Very toddler and pocket friendly. I am eating the rest today with some shrimp.

10. Bethany says:

Awesome! My whole (picky) family loved these! I added some chopped chicken seasoned with pepper and ginger. So good! The fresh green onion and sesame seeds on top really took it up a notch!

11. Sean says:

This dish is so awesome. For years i have been looking for a sauce to try and recreate the Mongolian BBQ that I used to have in my hometown. Once I tried this recipe, a rush of tasty nostalgia came roaring back. I use udon noodles, add some meat and my family I love it. Thank you so much for this.