My favorite thing about “holiday food” is cranberries. I love cranberry sauce, cranberry relish, cranberry muffins, cranberry everything. I think they’re incredibly beautiful and I love their super tart-tangy flavor. So, when I saw this Roasted Cranberry Sauce from Bon Appétit in my Instagram feed the other day, I knew I had to make it. After all, it combines my favorite cooking method (roasting) with my favorite holiday ingredient. But, as luck would have it, cranberries are still fairly expensive right now. So I decided to sub half the cranberries with apples (more than half apples, really) and changed up the seasonings to be apple-pie-ish. I’m absolutely loving the results. This Roasted Apple Cranberry Relish is a thick, jam-like side dish that is deep and flavorful. It almost reminds me of a chutney.
Roasted Apple Cranberry Relish
How to Serve Roasted Apple Cranberry Relish
So, if you’re like me, and you don’t really do Thanksgiving or big holiday dinners, you can still use this amazing Roasted Apple Cranberry Relish. You can use it almost anywhere you’d use a jam.
I like it on bagels with cream cheese (it’s like a cranberry cheese cake!), you can scoop it over goat cheese as an appetizer, or you can make a delightful baked brie that will be sure to impress all your friends at holiday parties (pile the relish on a wheel of brie, wrap in puff pastry, and bake until golden).
Or you can just use it to top grilled meat. It would be great with chicken, but fruit compotes always go wonderfully with pork. I’m thinking it would be great on my Herb Roasted Pork Loin!
So there you have it. A super fall-inspired oven roasted apple cranberry relish that is good for way more than just a Thanksgiving side!
Roasted Apple Cranberry Relish
- 12 oz bag fresh cranberries ($2.79)
- 3 medium apples* (about 1.5 lbs.) ($2.58)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar ( $0.32)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon ($0.05)
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves ($0.03)
- 1 tsp lemon juice ( $0.02)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Wash the cranberries and place them in a large 8x13-inch casserole dish (2-3 quart dish). Peel, core, and cut the apples into cubes roughly the same size as the cranberries. Place the cubed apples in the dish with the cranberries.
- To the apples and cranberries add the brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and lemon juice. Toss the ingredients together until well combined.
- Roast the fruit in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, or until it is a thick, jam-like consistency. Stir the mixture once at 30 minutes, and again at 45 minutes to check doneness. Taste the relish and adjust the sugar or lemon juice if needed. Serve warm or refrigerate for later.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Step by Step Photos
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Wash a 12oz. bag of cranberries then place them in an 8×13″ casserole dish (or a 2-3 quart dish). Peel, core, and dice three medium apples (about 1.5 lbs.) Try to make the apple pieces roughly the same size as the cranberries. Place the apples in the dish with the cranberries. You can use any variety of apple, but I suggest a sweet or sweet-tart variety. You can adjust the sweetness of the dish after it bakes. I used Gala apples, which are fairly tart, but only because they were the best price and best quality of what was available to me at the market that day.
To the apples and cranberries add 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp cloves, and 1 tsp lemon juice. Toss the ingredients until everything is evenly combined.
Roast the fruit in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, or until it turns into a thick jam-like mixture. You’ll want to stir the fruit after about 30 minutes, and then again at 45 minutes to determine doneness. After baking you can taste the mixture and adjust the sugar or lemon juice if needed.
The relish is thick, aromatic, and absolutely lovely! Because the fruit kind of shrinks as it roasts, this recipe only makes about 2 cups. If you’re making it for a crowd on Thanksgiving, I would definitely double the recipe.
But I get to keep allllll this goodness to myself! :D