I made this Chicken and Apple Salad on a total whim today and I’m SO glad I did. It is so delicious that I want to eat it every day for the rest of my life. And guess what? It’s so easy that I just might be able to.
Crunchy Chicken Salad with Apples and Cranberries
Have you seen what they charge per pound at the deli for chicken salad? It’s a lot… like there’s gold dust in there or something. So even though this salad has a few ingredients that are more on the expensive side, you’ll be saving a lot just by making it at home.
How to Get the Best Price on Chicken Breast
Chicken breast can be pretty expensive, so I always make sure to: A) I buy my chicken breasts in bulk, divide them and freeze them in bags of two. and B) only buy chicken breast when they’re on sale. Stash them in the freezer so you don’t end up having to pay full price later when they’re not on sale.
Can I Use Pre-Cooked Rotisserie Chicken?
Yes, absolutely. Rotisserie chicken is a great short cut, and this chicken salad is a great way to use up leftover rotisserie chicken. If using rotisserie chicken, simply pull the meat from the bone, remove the skin, and give the meat a rough chop. You’ll need about 2-2.5 cups chopped chicken for this recipe.
How Long Does This Chicken Salad Last?
Chicken salad is usually good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, but it can vary depending on the freshness of your chicken and the conditions inside your refrigerator. This salad should not be frozen.
You might also like Curry Chicken Salad.
Chicken and Apple Salad
- 2 large chicken breast halves ($3.02)
- 2 small 3/4 lb. apples ($0.74)
- 1/2 medium red onion ($0.56)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries ($0.28)
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise ($0.56)
- 1/3 cup fat free plain yogurt ($0.21)
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard ($0.06)
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar ($0.04)
- to taste salt and pepper ($0.05)
- Cook the chicken breast in a countertop grill, skillet, or oven. Whatever method is easiest for you. My George Foreman grill cooks a chicken breast in about seven minutes, so I did that. Allow the chicken to cool.
- Wash and dice the apples and onion into small pieces while the chicken is cooling.
- Dice the chicken and place it in a bowl along with the diced apples, onions, and dried cranberries.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, dijon, and red wine vinegar. Add a healthy dose of freshly cracked black pepper and a dash of salt. Stir, taste, and adjust salt and pepper to your liking. Stir the dressing into the bowl of chopped goodies and serve!
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Scroll down for the step by step photos!
How to Make Chicken Salad with Apples – Step By Step Photos
I started with a chicken breast that I had in the freezer. I let it thaw in the refrigerator over night. I only had one but you should definitely use two. Look – I must have been really tired the day I packed up that chicken because I spelled “breast” as “brea5”. Interesting.
I find my little countertop grill to be the fastest, easiest way to cook chicken breast. Plus, it makes a nice golden crust on the surface. Whatever you do, make sure it’s completely cooked! Let the chicken cool down after cooking. (I’m making a half batch in the photos, so there is one chicken breast.)
After the chicken has cooled down some, cut or tear it into small pieces.
When the chicken is cooking/cooling, prepare the apples and onions. If you have a large apple, you may only need one. If you have a small onion, may use the whole thing. The amounts here are flexible.
Cut both into small pieces.
Place the diced apple, onion, chicken, and dried cranberries in a bowl.
The dressing is just these four items, plus a little salt ‘n pepper. You can use all mayo instead of half yogurt if you like but I’m trying to be healthy and I like the tang! Also, if you prefer a sweeter dressing, try adding a tablespoon of honey. Yummm.
Mix up the ingredients in a bowl and add salt and pepper to your liking.
Stir the dressing into the bowl of chopped goods and serve!
You can also try adding celery or nuts to this but I’m keeping it simple today!
You can make a wrap out of this Chicken and Apple Salad, top a spinach salad with it, or just eat it plain like I did!