soy dijon pork tenderloin

This is kind of an accidental fancy pants recipe, but sometimes you need to pull out your fancy pants and show them off. So, here’s a good reason to.

I usually opt for pork loin rather than pork tenderloin because it’s bigger and about half the cost per pound. This time, though, the store only had tenderloin, so I had to go with that. I can’t say that I’m disappointed though, because this tenderloin is so incredibly tender and juicy that my meal was pure heaven… and it will continue to be as I eat the rest for lunch over the weekend. You can make this with a regular pork loin, although you’ll likely have to cook it longer in the oven to achieve doneness.

Cost aside, the preparation of this tenderloin is super easy. The marinade has only a few ingredients and cooking takes minimal effort. Had I been on top of my game I would have used some of the marinade to make the pan sauce, but I was a bit distracted and threw it away. Therefore, I had to add new ingredients to make the pan sauce. Pan sauces are pretty easy and malleable, so you can just kind of wing it or just skip it all together. I only made it because I planned to serve my pork over a bed of baby greens and I wanted the sauce as a sort of dressing. Anywho.

Make this. It’s super-flavalicious, easy, and still a fraction of the price of a restaurant meal, even if more expensive than my usual!

Soy Dijon Pork Tenderloin

• 10-15 cranks freshly cracked pepper $0.05
PAN SAUCE (optional)
  • 1 Tbsp butter $0.10
  • 1 Tbsp dijon mustard $0.06
  • 1 Tbsp brown sugar $0.02
  • 1 cup vegetable broth* $0.13
  1. Stir together the dijon mustard, soy sauce, 2 tablespoons olive oil, brown sugar, pepper, and minced garlic in a bowl. Place the pork tenderloin and prepared dijon marinade into a large zip top bag. Massage the bag to make sure the marinade covers all surface of the tenderloin. Refrigerate for at least two hours.
  2. When ready to prepare the tenderloin, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Remove the excess marinade from the tenderloin and then when the oil in the skillet is hot (it should look wavy on the surface), add the tenderloin to the skillet. Cook the tenderloin for about five minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove the skillet from the heat.
  3. Transfer the browned tenderloin to a baking sheet covered in foil. Bake the tenderloin in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees.
  4. While the tenderloin is baking, prepare the pan sauce. Add the butter to the still warm skillet (heat off) and allow it to melt. Either add ¼ cup of the marinade or 1 tablespoon each of dijon and brown sugar to the skillet. Also add 1 cup of vegetable broth. Place the skillet over medium heat and whisk the mixture until all of the browned bits on the bottom of the skillet have dissolved off. Allow the mixture to simmer, whisking occasionally, until the volume has reduced by about half (about 15-20 min). NOTE: Never re-use the raw, uncooked marinade and never marinate at room temperature.
  5. When the tenderloin is finished, allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Spoon some of the pan sauce over top and slice into 12-16 pieces. Serve with more pan sauce.
Notes
*I use vegetable base + water to make broth, which is less expensive than boxed or canned broths.

Soy Dijon Pork Tenderloin

marinadeFirst mix up the marinade – dijon, soy sauce, olive oil, pepper, minced garlic, and brown sugar (I added the brown sugar after this photo was taken).

mixed marinadeAnd here is the mixed marinade (brown sugar included). This stuff was seriously so good that I think I’m going to have to make a salad dressing version.

pork tenderloinThis is the pork tenderloin that I used. Make sure not to get one that is pre-marinated. Sometimes you can catch these on sale and then just freeze them for later – wish I had done that because they’re not cheap! …but they are so succulent.

marinate tenderloinPut the marinade and tenderloin in a zip top bag and mush it around until everything is covered. Let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least two hours. You can do this before work in the morning and let it go for 8 hours, if you want.

sear tenderloinWhen it’s time to make dinner, heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. When it’s nice and hot, remove the excess marinade from the tenderloin and add it (the pork) to the skillet. The reason you want to remove the excess marinade is because the more wet you add to the skillet the more it will splatter… I did not take that precaution and made a huge splattery mess. Cook the tenderloin for about 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Also, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

roast tenderloinAfter you’ve browned the tenderloin, put it on a baking sheet covered with foil (for easy clean up) and pop it in the preheated oven. Roast it for about 30 minutes.

make pan sauceWhile the tenderloin is roasting, you can make the pan sauce. If you still have the bag of marinade, you can add some to the skillet along with 1 tablespoon of butter and one cup of vegetable broth. If you don’t have the marinade, add 1 tablespoon each of dijon, brown sugar, and butter, along with one cup of vegetable broth. Whisk and heat the mixture over medium heat until the browned bits have dissolved off of the bottom of the pan. Continue to let the sauce simmer until it has reduced in the volume by about half (about 15-20 min). NOTE: Never re-use the raw, uncooked marinade and never marinate at room temperature.

meat tempAfter 30 minutes, the inside of the thickest part of the pork is 145 degrees. Allow the pork to rest for about 5-10 minutes before cutting it open. When you get a chance, invest in a basic meat thermometer like this. They’re inexpensive, available at most major retail stores, and will save you a lot of grief.

pan sauceWhile waiting for it to rest, you can drizzle some pan sauce over top for extra oomph!

sliced Soy Dijon Pork TenderloinAfter 5-10 minutes, slice it into 12-16 pieces and serve 3-4 slices per person. Allowing it to sit for a few minutes after it comes out of the oven helps keep the meat moist and juicy… and this meat was OH SO JUICY.

Soy Dijon Pork TenderloinI served mine over baby greens, but that’s just one option.

Soy Dijon Pork MealRecipes for the side dish and the complete meal break down will be coming later this weekend…

OMG NEVER EVER USE MARINADE AGAIN!!! EEK! the marinade just had a chunk of raw meat in it. that’s just asking for food poisoning, honey. Even bringing it up to a boil doesn’t render it safe to consume, per the FDA. Please edit this recipe, people can get seriously ill from this.

• I must agree. The FDA does not reccomend ever reusing marinades. I would just remake the marinade and simmer on the stove top. You get the same results and there is no risk.

2. THE MARINADE IS BEING COOKED. Just need to make that clear for everyone :D It gets simmered for about 15 minutes, which is every bit as safe as the marinade left on the pork that gets cooked in the oven. Never ever use raw marinade, but if you cook it, it’s A-okay.

3. In case anyone is still unsure about the marinade issue, this is straight from the FDA website:

“Reusing marinade: Never reuse marinade used on raw meat or poultry unless you boil it first to destroy any harmful bacteria.”

Of course, right after that they suggest reserving a portion before adding the meat, just as a double precaution, but they specifically state that you can use the marinade to make sauces after it is used with the meat, so long as it is boiled.

• Simon says:

I’m a biologist as well, perfectly safe to use the marinade if you’re cooking in the way specified. You’re like a thousand times more likely to get bacterial poisoning from not rinsing the spinach on the plate properly than you would be from boiling a marinade and simmering it for 15mins.

4. This looks so yummy!

5. Wow I make this almost exactly the same way. So easy and flavorful. GREG

You guys do realize she works in a Microbiology lab, right? If you boil it, it’s fine :)

7. Janiece says:

I am so glad you posted this because, you are not going to believe this but…one of our local grocers, Tom Thumb (Safeway brand) has whole pork loin in cyro pack for…(drum roll please…) $0.99 a pound. That means for 4 dollars, I got a 4 pound loin. Now, it has some fat (though not as much as any $0.99 meat I have ever had before had) and it may not be as tender a buck a pound???? The limit was 5…wanna guess how many I got? I am thinking of going back before Tuesday when the sale goes off and get 5 more. I mean a buck a pound…for a whole loin? I am going to use this recipe for a couple of these beauties and for at least 2 more I will be using my fav pork recipe which is putting the loin in a crockpot and dumping 2 jars of Salsa Verde on top, then cooking on high for 8 hours. That is it. Serve as you would fajita meat. Safeway also put Salsa Verde on special buy one get one. Can ya tell that I am cheap and shop specials??? As always, LOVE your blog.

8. I had a comment mentioning that, but it unintentionally sounded snarky, so I deleted it :P I do, in fact, work with bacteria for a living and I also hold a second degree in food science, which focused heavily on food safety.

It’s important to differentiate between food poisoning caused by bacteria and food poisoning caused by toxins excreted by bacteria. Cooking will kill bacteria, but it will not get rid of toxins. Food poisoning caused by toxins happens when food is held at temperatures that promote bacterial growth and proliferation (this is when the toxins are excreted – not all bacteria excrete these toxins). This is why proper storage, fast cooling, and marinating in the refrigerator are so important. The raw marinade has bacteria in it that will be killed with cooking, but it is very unlikely for it to have dangerous toxins unless you’ve left it out at room temperature. If it did, the toxins would be all over the pork and the meat would be every bit as dangerous as the marinade, even after cooking. If you don’t even want to think about it or take the time to be careful with it, by all means just don’t use it! :D

If anyone is uncomfortable with the idea, they can just use the other method to make the sauce, which is the method that I used (a little more dijon, brown sugar, butter, and broth). Extra precautions never hurt!

9. This sounds very yummy!!!

10. Anybody who thinks the marinade will hurt you after it has been boiled and reduced for 15 minutes is simply paranoid.

There is no food safety issue whatsoever, none.

11. this looks divine! i have a pork tenderloin in the freezer waiting for a wonderful recipe to come along…and here it is. Thank you so much!

12. Way to silence the peanut gallery! This marinade looks great. Back when I had just moved out on my own, I cooked chicken every night and wrote down every marinade so I could repeat the good ones. You can’t go wrong with soy sauce, mustard, and brown sugar!

Hi there to all, the contents existing at this web site are really amazing for people knowledge, well, keep up the good work
    fellows.
    my web page :: clean my pc

14. 5 Tips to a flat stomach
    ———————————-

There are long lasting ways to get the amazing middle
    you crave. These genius tips Will help you shed inches
    and pounds, banish the bloat, And feel even more
    gorgeous we have very best advice for quickly shrinking
    your tummy. Here are the surprising
    Hello, skinny
    jeans! Stop making these 5 Major mistakes and you will
    Finally lose your stubborn belly fat

15. Thank you for all your recipes. They are amazing. I love a good Pork Tenderloin and have done a grilled sage pork tenderloin in the past.

My mouth is watering and it’s only 6:37am.

Thanks again,

Jeff

16. I just made this tonight and even my meat hating daughter was yelling I love this meat! And she had seconds of the pork! So tasty, good and flavorful. I didn’t use much of the pan gravy because mine turned out to oily. I probably had way too much oil in the pan to begin with. Maybe next time I will hold off on some of the oil. Awesome recipe!

17. SO stoked about this one, I also buy meat on sale and love to try new ideas. I usually make an Asian-inspired marinade with similar ingredients but the dijon caught my eye… Oh and, I ALWAYS use every drop of the marinade toward the end of cooking! *gasp Keep up the excellent work, those who know you are aware that you know your “stuff”!

18. Yep, just took a pork loin out of the freezer, thawed slightly, and put it marinade so it can sit for about two days in the fridge. We are having company this weekend for my daughter’s birthday so this will be a special treat and I will look like a culinary genius… THANKS!

I just tried this recipe tonight, and it was SUPER delicious! I paired it with the roasted root vegetable recipe, to which I added parsnip as an extra veggie. The only thing I did differently in this recipe was the pan sauce-my leftover broth in the fridge wasn’t so fresh anymore so I substituted with a little white wine, which went well with the marinade. Thanks for the delicious recipes!

20. It was phenomenal! After browning the meat, I decided rather than dirty another pan and tend to baking it that I’d just simmer and braise it with onions on the stovetop covered. After about 4 hours when I sliced it the meat felt like cutting bread it was so tender! I used all the marinade as it cooked down and we had good ol rice and gravy with my baked potato casserole on the side.

Do you think I could sub in spicy brown mustard for the dijon? I’ve got everything by the dijon!

22. Wow! A definite success! Thank you! Even my pork-hating son loved it! This recipe will for-sure go into my annual recipe plan – thank you so much for all your great ideas!

23. I made this tonight and my meat hating kids ate it. My husband loved it and he hates mustard. This was so unbelievable. We ate it with the roasted root vegetables as suggested. It was all so good.

24. This was amazing! I didn’t have soy sauce or dijon mustard, so I made substitutions for those ingredients. For the soy sauce, I used our favorite marinade, which has a similar consistency, and I used yellow mustard for the dijon. We seldom use soy sauce or dijon, so it just felt pointless to go out to get them. Anyway, the meat was tender, juicy, and delicious. With the inclusion of the marinade instead of the soy, it also had a wonderful spiciness. The pan sauce (using the leftover marinade) was amazing. In fact, it was so good that we used it to top the homemade mashed potatoes I served with the tenderloin. To round out the meal, I steamed some brussels sprouts and made a homemade cheese sauce. This is definitely a meal we’ll be having again!

thanks for sharing.

26. I’m going to do all steps except roasting the pork loin ahead of time so all I have to do is pop it in the oven and cook. Sounds delicious!

27. Caity says:

Try the pan sauce over parsnips as a side dish – yum!

28. I’ve not tried a recipe yet that I didn’t like from you. This was made tonight for a birthday dinner. We ate it all. Sooooo tasty. Thank you!

29. I made this tonight and it was So delicious! I needed a quick recipe for pork tenderloin and this hit the spot, plus I needed to use my dijon mustard which was just sitting by its lonesome self in the fridge. XD

30. Just made this for dinner. Fabulous! I couldn’t stop eating. The meat was insanely tender and I poured the sauce all over my plate. New dinner table classic.

31. Meghan says:

I have a 3 1/4 lb pork tenderloin, how long do you recommend cooking it in this recipe?

• I’ll be honest, I’m not sure. I’ve never cooked a tenderloin that large! I would definitely make sure to use a meat thermometer, though, to make sure it reaches 145 degrees.

32. Eric H says:

OMG OMG OMG! Beth thank you forever for this recipe. Just finished it for a late dinner… lol (it’s past 1am as I’m writing this) and my b/f and I raved over the flavors of the sauce. I’ve bookmarked the page and will be making pork tenderloin this way from now on. 10 stars, 2 thumbs up, etc… etc. :-D

33. This came out absolutely magnificent. I used loin. I didn’t have brown sugar and substituted it with honey. Thank you for the recipe.

For those that reference the FDA, get a life. This is the same organization, who is completely in the pocket of the big pharmaceuticals, that has allowed many medicines on to the market that has killed on average, at least 100,000 people a decade, probably more. Sorry to say but the FDA has no idea what it is talking about. The marinade gets cooked therefore perfectly safe.