choco-coconut granola

Hmm… I’m not doing a very good job convincing you that I’m not a chocolate person, am I. Well, this granola is the shiznit, even for a non-chocolate person like myself.

Granola uses sugar and oil to bind everything together, so it’s fairly caloric by nature. Because of that, I didn’t need to add any extra sugar or fat to turn my regular granola recipe into a chocolaty delight. I decided to cut my imminent snacking rampage short by making a small batch… because if I have granola in my vicinity, I can’t stop. If regular granola is highly addictive, this chocolate granola is even more so. Be warned: it’s dangerously delicious.

It’s super chocolaty, not too sweet, and has lots of yummy coconut and almonds in it. And did you see my price? Yeah, how much is that teensy-weensy bag of chocolate granola cereal at the store? $5? Ha! Knowledge is power. Use it wisely.

Remember how your Chocolate Pebbles and Coco Puffs cereal used to turn your milk into chocolate milk when you were a kid? This granola does that, too. Value added!

Want a low sugar, low fat granola-essque breakfast? Try muesli! It’s one of my favorites!

Choco-Coconut Granola

choco-coconut granola

• 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats $0.42
  • ⅓ cup shredded coconut $0.26
  • ⅓ cup sliced almonds $0.37
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable oil $0.06
  • ¼ cup brown sugar $0.08
  • 2 Tbsp honey $0.15
  • ¼ tsp salt $0.02
  • ¼ tsp vanilla extract $0.03
  • 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder $0.12
  • 2 Tbsp water $0.00
  1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. In a large bowl, stir together the dry rolled oats, shredded coconut, and sliced almonds.
  2. In a small pot, combine the oil, brown sugar, honey, salt, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and water. Heat over a medium-low flame and stir until the sugar is dissolved (about 5 minutes).
  3. Pour the chocolate mixture over the oats. Stir very well until everything is evenly coated. Cover a baking sheet with foil and pour the oat mixture out onto it. Spread the mixture into a layer about ½ inch thick. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
  4. When the granola comes out of the oven, take a spatula and press it down to compress it. Allow the granola to completely cool. Once cooled, break into chunks and serve or store in an air-tight container at room temperature.

Choco-Coconut Granola

dry ingredientsBegin by combining the oats, coconut, and almonds. Stir until they are evenly mixed. You can used sweetened or unsweetened shredded coconut. I would have preferred unsweetened, but my store only had sweetened. :(

wet ingredientsCombine the rest of the ingredients (oil, brown sugar, honey, salt, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and water) in a small pot. Heat over a medium-low flame and stir until the sugar is dissolved.

cocoa mixtureThere, it’s all dissolved. That only took a few minutes.

pourPour that chocolate mixture over the oats/coconut/almonds.

stir to coatStir, stir, stir, and stir until everything is evenly coated in chocolate goodness.

bakeSpread the mixture out on a baking sheet that has been covered in foil. Bake in a preheated 300 degree oven for 45 minutes – no stirring required.

baked granolaAfter it comes out of the oven it will still be soft. Press it down with a spatula to compress the granola – this is going to be what makes the nice large chunks when it cools.

cooled granolaLet it cool COMPLETELY and then break it up into chunks. You can store this granola at room temperature in an air-tight container.

choco-coconut granolaMove over Count Dracula!

Okay, while typing this up I thought about how awesome it would be to add some banana chips to this. Do it after it’s baked so that you don’t burn them.

Also, I might have to try making an Aztec Cocoa version… YUM!

i don’t like coconut. will this recipe work if i omit it? it sounds WONDERFUL otherwise!!

2. Definitely! Just add some more almonds or another nut of your choice :)

3. This looks great, but I would use coconut oil to make it even healthier.

4. In my oven 45 min was too long to bake. Kind of burned.

5. My question is: how do you possibly leave that sit on your counter until it’s cool? This looks dangerous to me. It would likely be devoured way before it was cooled into breakable chunks. Nonetheless, I have almost all of the ingredients and will likley try this week :) Thanks Beth!

6. Ella says:

Do you think it would work to use coconut oil instead of vegetable oil?

7. Ella – absolutely. I wanted to use coconut oil, but opted for vegetable oil because of the price and I know most people would have it in their pantry. :P

8. Mmm, baked some this afternoon for my boys’ afternoon snack. I’ll reduce time in the oven next time, but there will definitely be a next time!

9. Made it with Coconut oil, added raisins and whole almonds… DELISH!!! (45mins was a little too long, I took it out at 35)

10. I found there to be too little wet ingredients, so I made a bit extra of the oil/sugar/cocoa/honey mixture. Also, as other people noted, the cooking time was too long! I smelled burning after half an hour so I took it out. The edges were completely charred but the middle part is still delicious :) I will note though that this is the second time this oven has burned something (I am at my student apartment and usually do a ton of baking at home), so perhaps there’s something wonky with it.

11. I just made this and it’s baking in the oven right now.. I did change/add a few things.. I used coconut oil instead of reg oil and I added in 1 tsp of instant espresso powder and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. YUM! can’t wait to have a bowl with some almond milk for dinner! :)

12. mine didn’t stick that well (subbed oats for coconut)…but it turned the milk into chocolate milk and nothing really matters besides that :]

13. Jenna says:

This stuff is amazing. I made it for a Christmas gift and thought I should try it before I gave it as a gift. This could be dangerous! :-) Others talked about burning, so I kept an eye on it, but it didn’t burn after the full 45 min. Key might be making sure it’s a full half inch thick on the edges too? Will definitely be making this again! Thanks for the recipe!

14. Jessica D says:

You never fail to amaze me. This looks delish, I can’t wait to give it a try.

15. Cari h says:

I made this today, added sunflower seeds, cinnamon, a couple tablespoons of chocolate protein powder and made the wet mixture from a little brown sugar, agave, sugar free maple syrup and extra water. It’s amazing!!!!!!!

could i omit the almonds and the coconut? i’d love some simple chocolaty-oatmeal without nuts/coconut.

17. Anonymous – I’m sure it would work just fine without the nuts :)

18. Rachel S. says:

Beth, how do you buy almonds so cheaply?

• I usually buy my almonds from the bulk bins at the grocery store – they’re much cheaper there than if you buy a small bag of them from the baking aisle. They’re sold by the pound and those sliced almonds really don’t weigh much, so the total cost is usually pretty low :)

• Rachel S. says:

Thanks for the tip. I’ll browse the local markets and see if their almonds are cheaper. I made this recipe today, but mine also over-cooked a bit. Next time, I’ll reduce the heat and time.

19. Grace says:

If I wanted to add chia or flax seeds, when should I add them in the process? Before they go in the oven or after and still benefit from them nutritionally?

Thanks!

20. Miriam says:

The granola is cooking and it smells FABULOUS!!! My three year old daughter helped me and she thought it was finger licking, bol scraping good!

21. Matt says:

45 mins @ 300 degrees was WAY too long for my oven, all I got was a burnt black mass. I’ll try it again cuz it sounds like Almond Joy granola, but I’ll have to keep a closer eye on it.

22. Enybe says:

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are in love with this recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After reading all the comments on how easy it is to burn this recipe and knowing how i tend to burn things all the time! I set the temperature at 250 and baked them for about 30-40 minutes. I basically watched it closely at all times and it was so worth it. I added whole pecans, dark chocolate chunks and dried cranberries. Such a good mid-afternoon snack. We always keep these ingredients on hand so we plan to repeat this recipe in the future.

Thank you!!! 5 stars!

23. Jenna says:

made this a year or so ago and it was awesome. Just bought some Nature’s Path Love Crunch granola and its basically the same thing-but with small chunks of chocolate and small pieces of freeze dried strawberries mixed in once it’s cooled and broken up. Eating it reminded me of making this recipe before, and I think I’m going to have to make some once the store bought version runs out. Love your recipes.