pesto stuffed shells

It should be obvious by now that I love to stuff things (Pepperoni Stuffed Chicken, Cranberry Walnut Stuffed Pork Loin, Stuffed Poblano Peppers). Well, here I go again, stuffing some more filling into what would otherwise be a very boring bit of food. Instead of doing the regular old cheese stuffed jumbo shell pasta, I decided to give it a little kick with some pesto. I mixed basil pesto into the cheese filling which added TONS of bright flavor. I had some fresh spinach lying around so I decided to roughly chop some and throw it into the mix as well. You can leave out the spinach or add more if you’d like; it is not a major player here, I just like to add more veggies whenever I can. Also, I have been making my own marinara lately but I had a jar of store bought sitting up in my cupboard using up space so I decided to use that this time instead.

I set a serving size at 3 shells per person because I made a big green salad and garlic bread to go along as sides (recipes later this week). If you are eating the shells alone you may want four… or five if you are a big muscular man with a monsterous appetite. I was able to fill 22 shells with the amount of pesto cheese mix I made, which left me with more than a few left over shells. Even though you probably won’t end up using all of your cooked shells, it is a good idea to boil all of them in case some rip or tear in the process. Just consider them “back up” shells.

Pesto Stuffed Shells

Pesto Stuffed Shells

pesto stuffed shells

Serves: 7 (3 ea.)
  • 12 oz. jumbo shell pasta $1.24
  • 15 oz. part skim ricotta $1.83
  • 4 oz. (1 cup) shredded mozzarella $0.98
  • ½ cup basil pesto $1.96
  • 1 large egg $0.15
  • 2 cups fresh spinach (optional) $0.33
  • 1 Tbsp cooking oil $0.04
  • 3 cups (1 jar) pasta sauce $1.98
  1. In a bowl, mix together the ricotta, mozzarella, pesto and the egg (the egg keeps the filling from getting too runny when cooked). Roughly chop the spinach and stir it into the cheese mixture. Refrigerate the filling until you are ready to use it.
  2. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box (boil for 12 min.). I added 1 Tbsp of cooking oil to the boiling water to keep the shells from sticking to each and the pot. You will still need to gently stir a few times during cooking. Be careful not to over cook the pasta or else it will rip easily and be too mushy after cooking with the filling and sauce. Drain the pasta and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking process. Let the pasta drain.
  3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. The shells roll up tight (see photo below) when they are cooked so use the fingers on one hand to hold them open as you spoon about 3 Tbsp of pesto cheese mix into the center of each. There should be enough pesto cheese mix to fill the shell so that it stays open just slightly (the edges should be about ½ inch apart). Fill as many shells as you can with the cheese mix.
  4. Spread one cup of pasta sauce in the bottom of a glass baking dish. I used a 9.5×14 inch dish because that was all that I had available at the time but it was too big for 22 shells. You want to pack them in tightly in a single layer. If you space them too far apart, they will dry out during the cooking process. Place all of the shells in the baking dish as close together as possible and pour the remaining 2 cups of sauce over top. Bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until the sauce is bubbling up around the edges.

pesto stuffed shellsStuffed shells prior to baking

basil pestoI would make fresh pesto if I had a big basil plant but I don’t so I buy this pesto at the store. The price is very reasonable in my area and it only took about half a jar for this recipe.

chopped spinachI added this roughly chopped spinach because I like to hide vegetables everywhere I can!

pesto cheese fillingHere is the finished pesto cheese filling (ricotta, mozzarella, pesto, spinach and an egg).

cooked shellsAfter cooking the jumbo shell pasta, they will coil up pretty tightly so you will need to use one hand to hold each one open as you fill it with a spoonful of pesto cheese mix with the other. It’s easier than it sounds but a little messy.

stuffed shellsHere are some stuffed shells before cooking. If you over fill one (like the one in front) you can scoop a little out to fill another… or you can just leave it and have fewer but fatter shells.

uncooked stuffed shellsPack the shells into a baking dish with sauce underneath and on top. Bake for 30 minutes.

stuffed shells plated upServe with garlic bread, a big salad and maybe a glass of wine!

NOTE: Leftover pesto should not be wasted… it’s too precious. Pesto freezes really well so pour it into a freezer bag, label it and save it for a rainy day (maybe make some Pesto Chicken with it later!).

This recipe is pretty cheese and I DID tell myself that I was going to watch my saturated fat intake so here are a couple of alterations that you can do to make this dish a little healthier. First, use part-skim ricotta, not whole. Yes, whole tastes better but once the pesto is in there, you won’t notice. Use 2% mozzarella for the same reason. Lastly, you can add double the spinach which will add texture, fiber, nutrients and bulk up the cheese mix allowing you to fill more shells. As with any dish that is rich or cheesy, watching your portion size goes a LONG way so pack your portions out ahead of time!

1. Anna says:

Made these last night and my husband loved them! I did too-which is rare because frequently I’m too tired after making a meal to want to eat! Very easy to make, I thought. I didn’t know if I should cover them with foil while I baked them, so I did, to be on the safe side. It turned out great. Budget Bytes is becoming my GO-TO site when I start my weekly menu planning.

2. Alisa says:

God bless you for posting this :) These are seriously the BEST stuffed shells I’ve ever had! I use the Classico brand basil pesto, part-skim ricotta and part-skim mozzarella, Ronzoni jumbo shells and Ragu “tomato, garlic & onion” pasta sauce. I use a whole 6 oz. bag of fresh baby spinach and cut up the leaves with my kitchen scissors so that I get about 2 cups chopped fresh spinach. I also add a 1/2 cup of grated romano cheese to the filling mixture. They are just so incredibly delicious! This will forever be my go-to recipe for stuffed shells :) I think it would make awesome lasagna too but I haven’t tried that.

3. Gracie says:

My husband & I both found the basil to be a bit strong so I wld def cut back a bit. And that was with adding the 2 C spinach. I might add another C of spinach as well. It was good just a little strong with basil. :)

4. Marie says:

LOVE this recipe! I have made it a few times now and it is delicious. I do cut the basil pesto in half because although I love it, it is a little strong for those who do not. YUM!

5. Taryn says:

Made this for dinner tonight after finding it on Pinterest while looking for some inspiration. I paired it with roasted asparagus and rotisserie chicken…..Delish! Thank you for a wonderful recipe!

6. BrittanyF says:

Yum!! My family of 5 enjoyed these SOOO much. Thanks for a great recipe! We added a little bit of cottage cheese to the mixture, and used homemade spinach/basil pesto. Will add to our “regular” menu! Thanks!!

Worked out so well, although the process of putting the mix in the shells was a bit awkward (but I will get better at it), slash I may or may not have eaten half a dish to myself!!

8. CollegeFriend says:

Wow! These were so easy and fast! Not to mention yummy!!

9. If basil pesto isn’t available in your area, you can try to make this fresh parsley pesto. I like it just almost as much, it’s super quick, and very inexpensive!

For those of us who don’t have cheap basil pesto at the store, how do you make it from scratch on a college student budget?

11. about to dig into these! just waiting for parmesan knots to finish. thanks for the awesome recipe! :)

12. Making this tonight…Cheese is ridiculous in New York. Still cheaper than going out though.

Ah i’ve never seen shells this size, and even if i found some I’d never be able to get gluten free ones. ah this looks so yummy though!

Oh, and I also used the ziploc bag trick…I do that with manacotti, too. Soooo easy! I highly recommended it versus spooning the mixture in.

Just made this tonight. It was amazing! I’ve made shells multiple times before, but the pesto basil really made the dish! I did not use spinach, but stuck to the recipe every other way. Every plate was clean within minutes. Definitely a keeper!

16. I have to make this! Looks great and love all the reviews this has received so I know we will all love it! Thanks for posting!

I have made this recipe so many times. I use it when we are having guests over. It is always a big hit. Thanks!

delicious! my boyfriend at about half the pan ( :/ ) adding spinach is a great idea. i want these everyday

19. Put your cheese mixture into a Ziploc bag, cut the off one of the edges, and squeeze as a pastry chef would to ice a cake. Much less mess.

20. Holly says:

This was amazing! I’m not a fan of ricotta so I just used cottage cheese and it turned out so yummy. I can’t believe how simple this was, thank you so much!

great dish! Accidentally put cup of pesto in recipe instead of a half, but it still turned out great!

22. Andrea says:

Absolutely amazing! First time using pesto and definitely not the last!

23. Meredith says:

I found this recipe via Pinterest and just finished eating it! So delicious. I had to cook my shells about 14-15 minutes, and they didn’t break when I was filling them. I added some garlic and Italian seasonings to the filling, but totally forgot that I had olive oil and garlic pasta sauce, so they were pretty garlicky! They were fantastic! Will make again- thank you so much :-)

24. I came across through Pinterest and so glad I did!
    Just made this for dinner to my picky daughter and boyfriend who both loved it! I’m a beginner cook so I really appreciate all your pics as it makes it so easy to follow. Can’t wait to try more of your recipes…tomorrow Coconut Chicken w/sweet chili sauce!