Pesto has been a champion ingredient in my kitchen for a while. Although it is a slightly more expensive item, a little bit goes a long way toward adding flavor to a meal. This Pesto Cheese Toast is a super simple treat that can be served as a party appetizer, a side with dinner, or even just a little snack. It’s kind of like garlic bread‘s fancier cousin. ;)
What Kind of Pesto to Use
That’s the great thing about this tasty toast, you can use any kind of pesto you have or whatever you like best. You can use a basil pesto, a sun dried tomato pesto, a kale pesto, any kind! Today I’m using a Genovese pesto, which is a creamy basil style pesto. Other good affordable pesto brands that I like are Felipo Berio, Classico, and Alessi.
What Kind of Bread to Use
This recipe works great on any French or Italian loaf bread. You can slice the bread into traditional slices, like in the photos here, or slice the loaf in half length-wise, then slice the halved bread into slices like in my Homemade Garlic Bread recipe. It just depends on the bread to topping ratio that you prefer. If you want to get a little creative, you could also basically turn this into a pesto pizza by using small pieces of naan or English muffins instead.
What to Serve with Pesto Cheese Toast
Pesto cheese toast makes a great alternative to garlic bread with any pasta dish or something like Tomato Basil Chicken, but it’s also great served alongside a bowl of tomato soup. These cheesy little toasts also make a great party appetizer! You can even serve it with a bowl of warm marinara for dipping. But perhaps my favorite way to serve this is with a fried or scrambled egg for breakfast. You just can’t beat that egg-pesto-tomato combo!!
Pesto Cheese Toast
- 4 slices bread ($0.66)
- 2 Tbsp pesto ($0.45)
- 1 Roma tomato ($0.28)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella ($0.42)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice a loaf of French or Italian bread into ½-inch thick slices.
- Place the slices of bread on the prepared baking sheet and spread ½ Tbps pesto over each piece.
- Slice the Roma tomato into 8 slices, then top each piece of bread with two slices of tomato.
- Finally, add a large pinch of shredded mozzarella to each piece of bread.
- Bake the toast in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the toast is brown and crispy on the edges. Baking time may vary depending on your oven and the type of bread chosen, so keep an eye on them. Serve warm!
See how we calculate recipe costs here.
How to Make Pesto Cheese Toast – Step By Step Photos
Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice a loaf of French or Italian bread into ½-inch thick slices.
Spread about a ½ tablespoon of pesto onto each slice of bread.
Slice a Roma tomato into 8 slices. Top each piece of toast with two slices of tomato.
Top each piece of toast with about 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella (or more if you like!).
Bake the toast for about 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the outer edges of the bread is toasty!
Serve and enjoy! I ended up topping mine with a little bit of freshly cracked pepper, but there’s so much flavor in the pesto that you don’t necessarily need that!