If you’ve made a batch of Collard Greens and you just can’t get enough, here’s just one more way you can eat them. Plus, nothing makes you feel like a nutritional super star more than eating greens for breakfast (just ignore the butter and egg and all that).
Grits n’ Greens
Grits 'n Greens
- 3 Tbsp quick cooking grits ($0.04)
- 1/2 Tbsp butter ($0.03)
- 1/2 cup collard greens ($0.42)
- 1 large egg ($0.12)
- to taste salt and pepper ($0.05)
- Cook the grits according to the directions on the package (mix with 1 cup of water and microwave on high for 1.5 minutes – watch to make sure it doesn’t boil over). Season the grits with butter, salt and pepper.
- In a small skillet, cook the egg leaving the yolk runny (if desired).
- Warm a half cup of collard greens in the microwave. Spoon the greens over the grits then top with the egg. Dig in!
See how we calculate recipe costs here.
Step By Step Photos
put the grits in the bowl first…
Then add the reheated collard greens…
Finish it off with an egg.
This breakfast will keep your tummy happy for HOURS.
I have been looking forever for your Chorizo and grits bowl and i cant find it anywhere. Its one of my favorite recipes on your blog, is there a place i ca find it?
It got deleted when I switched over from the old site to the new one. I think I’m going to recreate it, though, in a better way!
This sounds yummy! Considering trying it with kale since our garden is putting out tons of it.
this looks amazing, i’ve been craving greens for awhile now. thanks, i’m making this for breakfast tomorrow! (:
I just found your blog and have started to read it like a book, from first post on. I’m headed back to school, and reading your recipes gets me excited about cooking on a budget. Thanks for the fabulous recipes and well-made blog!