Chili Roasted Potatoes

I’m having fun finding new ways to use my homemade chili seasoning and potatoes were the first item on my list. I mean, tender roasted potatoes coated with savory chili spices? YES PLEASE.

You can serve these potatoes as a side dish for dinner, or cut them a little smaller and eat them like hash browns or cottage fries at breakfast with some eggs. They’re amazing on their own, but I also found that any topping that is good on chili is also great on these potatoes. So, you can build a big ol’ pile of delicious potatato “nachos” by topping them with sour cream, shredded cheese, and maybe some green onions… Oohh, but now I’m just getting indulgent.

Anyway…

• ½ tsp cumin $0.05
  • ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper $0.01
  • ⅛ tsp garlic powder $0.01
  • ¼ tsp onion powder $0.02
  • ½ tsp salt $0.02
  • Freshly ground pepper (5-10 cranks of a mill) $0.03
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wash the potatoes and let the excess water drain away. Cut the potatoes into 1 to 2 inch cubes.
  2. Place the cubed potatoes in a large bowl and add the olive oil plus all of the spices (chili powder, cumin, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper). Toss the potatoes until they are well coated in oil and seasoning.
  3. Spread the potatoes out over a baking sheet covered with foil or parchment paper. Make sure the potatoes are in a single layer and not piled on top of one another. Use two baking sheets if needed.
  4. Roast the potatoes in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until golden brown on the edges and blistered on the cut surfaces. (Cooking time will depend on the size of your cubes.)

Chili Roasted Potatoes - Budget Bytes

Step by Step Photos

Potatoes

Begin by preheating the oven because it won’t take long to prep the potatoes. You can use any type of potato, but my favorite for this type of dish are new potatoes, either red skin or not. I got this 3 lb. bag of golden new potatoes at Trader Joe’s for $2.29.

Season Potatoes

Wash the potatoes and let them drain. Cut the potatoes into one to two inch cubes. You’ll want the cubes to be fairly uniform in size, so that they cook evenly. Add the cubed potatoes to a bowl and add 2 Tbsp of olive oil plus the chili seasoning (1/2 Tbsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/8 tsp cayenne, 1/8 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and some freshly cracked pepper. OR 1/2 batch of this pre-mixed chili seasoning)

Roast Potatoes

Toss the potatoes in the oil and seasoning until they are well coated. Spread the potatoes out onto a baking sheet (or two) covered in foil or parchment paper. You want the potatoes to be in a single layer and not piled on top of one another, or else they won’t get nicely browned.

Roasted Potatoes

Roast the potatoes for about 40 minutes, or until they are golden brown on the edges and the cut surfaces look blistered. Serve hot!

Chili Roasted Potatoes - Budget Bytes

1. Melinda says:

I just want to say thank you!
    I stumbled across your site recently while searching for a recipe for greek chicken. It was the photos that grabbed me – everything looked mouthwatering! As if the pictures aren’t enough, your descriptions hit it home. I love that you share delicious meals that don’t have ingredients I’ve never heard of. I love that they’re easy on the wallet. I love that I have been able to pick main dishes and sides that work great together. My spice cabinet is full, and I am creating awesome meals!
    My husband thanks you too! Eating on a budget no longer means mac and cheese!

2. Served these with scrambled eggs for “brenner” last night, and my husband looooved the potatoes. He said he was going to eat them again for breakfast … but they didn’t make it ’til then. :)

3. Love a solider says:

We are not potato eaters in this house but Aldi’s has had potatoes on the sale the last couple weeks & now I need a way to eat them all. I have made these potatoes for the past 3 weekends in a row! My 5 potato hating kids love them. My ten year old can make these herself with very little assistance.

4. I need a water..:)..yummy chilled potatoes.Loved it,and best thing is its dam easy to made it..

5. I am thinking this will go awesome with the chili lime pork.

6. I have a really good homemade chile seasoning recipe .. why have I never thought about putting it on potatoes????? Great idea,

7. What would you recommend this dish be a side dish for?

8. Potatoes are a perfect side dish and I am always looking for different ways to spice them up. Gotta try this soon!

9. Bethany says:

Trying right now…gonna add a little bit of brown sugar for a sweet twist to meld with the delicious chilli.

10. Deanna says:

I’m going to use this chilli spice next time I make oven fries! Thanks for all your hard work and great, budget-friendly recipes.

11. KCatty says:

roasted potatoes are also good with steak seasoning… another good use for the jumbo bottle from Costco. Love these with chunks of onion and red bell pepper!

12. Bhairavi says:

Hi Beth
    the chili roast potatoes were great-my daughter who hates potates loved them and so did my entire fussy family-thank you so much-can you give me a litte more help with the veggies and the potates with the ingredients and the time please?thx so much

13. Barbara says:

Try this with sweet potatoes, too. The sweet/spicy combination is delicious!

14. Sarah says:

A few months ago I was listening to NPR’s Splendid Garden and there was a food scientist being interviewed. He was saying the best say to get roasted potatoes to be crispy is to parboil them. Something about the starch content…have you ever tried that? Parboil then roast? Just curious!!

• Nope, I haven’t tried it… I think I might be too lazy to add the extra step. ;)

• I’ve parboiled potatoes… I have an old set of french cooking school encyclopedias that taught it this way. Wash and cut into large chunks, parboil, then lightly run the tines of a fork over the sides of the potato … Then continue recipe above. It’s more time consuming, but for me, it’s worth it. In fact, while I was reading the recipe (and planning to make it, b/c it looks amazing), I was adding the parboiling step in my mind… :)

15. Loaded Chili Potatoes…now you’re talking! Sounds delicious! They would also be good cut into fries.

16. These look very yummy and inexpensive. I will be sharing your link with my patients this week.

Thanks for sharing,
    Kelly

17. I just recently found your website and I’m so happy that I did! I LOVE how clear and descriptive you are with your recipes and how you have step by step pictures. I’ll definitely be trying several of your recipes this week. Keep up the great work and thank you!

18. YUM. These look fantastic!!

19. Jefe De Jefes says:

Try it with lemon-salt seasoning, cayenne pepper, and chili powder. ;)

P.D. I love your website and think that you are very beautiful.