Cheddar Scallion Scones

$2.44 recipe / $0.31 each

I love scones. They’re super fast to make, can be flavored with either sweet or savory ingredients, and make a quick “bread” option for dinner (especially great with soup, stew, or chili). I’ll never get tired of trying new flavors (check out Lemon Blueberry, Chai Spice, and Strawberry White Chocolate). The combination of cheddar scallion is nothing new, but it’s one of those classics that will never, ever get old. I know it’s getting warm out, but I’m dying to dip these scones in a big bowl of chili!

For this recipe I took my basic scone recipe and made it savory by reducing the sugar and adding just a touch of garlic powder. I also stirred in some sliced green onions (scallions) and a handful of sharp cheddar cheese. Cheese is the most expensive ingredient here, but you’d be surprised at how little you need to flavor the whole batch. Just one half cup of shreds was plenty to give that sharp, cheesy flavor to every bite!

Cheddar Scallion Scones

Cheddar Scallion Scones

Cheddar Scallion Scones

• 2 cups all purpose flour $0.20
  • 1 Tbsp sugar $0.02
  • ½ tsp salt $0.02
  • 2 tsp baking powder $0.05
  • ⅛ tsp garlic powder $0.02
  • freshly cracked pepper $0.03
  • 5 Tbsp cold butter $0.73
  • ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar $0.60
  • 3 green onions, sliced $0.26
  • ¼ cup milk $0.07
  • 2 large eggs $0.44
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, garlic powder, and some freshly cracked pepper (about 5 cranks of a pepper mill).
  2. Cut the cold butter into chunks, then add to the bowl with the flour mixture. Work the butter into the flour mixture with your hands or a pastry cutter until the texture of the flour resembles damp sand and no large chunks of butter remain. Stir in the shredded cheddar and sliced green onions.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs until smooth. Pour the egg and milk mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir until a ball of sticky dough forms and no more dry flour remains on the bottom of the bowl. Use your hands, if necessary, to form the dough into a cohesive ball.
  4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and press it into an 8 inch diameter circle (about 1-inch thick). Cut the circle into 8 wedges.
  5. Place the wedges on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in the preheated 400 degree oven for about 18 minutes, or until the scones are golden brown. Serve warm or allow to cool to room temperature.

Cheddar Scallion Scones

Step by Step Photos

Dry Scone IngredientsPreheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, 1 Tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/8 tsp garlic powder, and a little freshly cracked pepper (about five cranks of a pepper mill). Stir until these ingredients are well combined.

Cold ButterCut 5 Tbsp of cold butter into chunks, then add them to the bowl. Work the butter into the flour mixture either with your hands or a pastry cutter.

Sand TextureWhen the butter is fully worked into the flour mixture, it will look a little like damp sand. The goal here is to make the particles of butter very, very small, without “melting” them into the flour. That’s why it is so important to use cold butter. If it melts into the flour, you won’t get that nice flakey texture in the final product.

Cheddar and ScallionsNow stir 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese and about 3 green onions (sliced) into the flour mixture.

Whisk Eggs and MilkIn a separate bowl (or measuring cup, as it may be), whisk together two large eggs and 1/4 cup of milk until smooth.

Wet and Dry IngredientsPour the egg and milk mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir them together until it forms a ball of dough. The dough may be slightly sticky. That’s okay. If you need to, use your hands to help the dough come together into one piece, so that no more dry flour remains on the bottom of the bowl.

Cut SconesTurn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and shape it into an 8-inch diameter circle (about 1 inch thick). Cut the circle into 8 wedges.

Scones Ready to BakePlace the scones on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Bake in the preheated 400 degree oven for about 18 minutes, or until they are golden brown on top.

Baked Cheddar Scallion SconesThey puff up quite a bit while they bake and take on a nice flakey texture. YUM.

Cheddar Scallion Scones<3 Scones!

1. celibelle says:

I love this recipe :) trying it for my second time and still yummy. First time I added ham and sundried tomatoes. I couldn’t taste the ham too much but the sun dried tomatoes are a welcome addition. And lovely colour addition too! :D

2. Sam T says:

These were not hard to make and super good. My husband said they reminded him of Red Lobster’s cheesy biscuits but better <—huge compliment!

3. Kate says:

I just made these, and they are so good! I had two pieces of bacon left over from making Monterrey Chicken last night so I crumbled those up and threw them in with the cheese and green onion. Next time I might swap out the green onion for a jalapeno. I think I may have found a solution for my unhealthy obsession with fast food bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits.

4. Do you think the ingredients be mixed together to form the dough and then refrigerate before cooking? I’m dying to try these tonight, but have a little logistic problem. I’d like to do as much prep work beforehand as possible.

In general, I’ve tried several of your recipes and have loved them. This is such a wonderfully simple, yet useful website. I feel like by using it, I am finally learning to cook. Thanks!!!

• Yes, I think that might work. I haven’t actually tried it, but my instincts say yes. Let me know how it turns out!

5. I made these the other night and they turned out perfectly ! Thank you for the easy to follow instructions and great recipes !

6. Sarah B says:

I’m considering adding (canned) green chiles to this recipe. Do you think they should be stirred in with the wet ingredients?

7. Cath says:

I just tried the recipe (with margarine because i don’t have butter) and it is DELICIOUS! So easy to make :)

8. Michelle says:

We made these for brunch the other weekend and brushed them with some garlic butter once they were done. They tasted like the cheddar bay biscuits from Red Lobster. Thank you for this.

9. Samantha says:

Thanks for posting this recipe! These were a HUGE hit with my boyfriend. He loves the savoury taste.

Thank you so much for this website. I’m not the most skillful cook, so finding simple beginner friendly recipes that come out amazing are hard to find. I read your site frequently and have tried quite a few of your recipes. All of them have come out really well! Starting to make me look like I know what I’m doing! Lol. Thanks!

10. I appreciate your simple recipes!

I followed this to make scones but with a couple Quaker Simple Harvest Hot Cereal (vanilla, almond, and honey) packets because that’s what I had around the pantry that I thought would be simple and delicious! and it was! Thank you.

11. Celina says:

Great recipe! I made it last weekend with some ham added to it and it was quite good, but lacking something. Today I added ham, sundried tomatoes and a roasted red pepper and garlic seasoning. Absolutely scrumptious :D

12. emma says:

This is a fantastic recipe! We used basil instead of scallions, and it turned out fantastic. I was surprised how easy it was, too! Thanks for posting it!

13. Jeri Ann says:

Delicious! I made these as a side to a crunchy black bean salad…so yummy! Thanks Beth!

14. Jacquelin says:

I made some today to serve with my vegetarian chili tonight. It’s the perfect addition. It’s not too cheese and the green onion gives it a nice flavor. I totally had one after they cooled down to taste test. Amazing. The guys are going to love it. I can’t wait to try more of your stuff.

15. earleyml says:

We recently joined a CSA and I had green onions that I wasn’t sure what to do with. I have two small children (under 5) who can be picky but they LOVED these. We had them with an italian main dish and they were wonderful. I’m going to have to try making sandwiches with them like Eileen suggested. Super GOOD! Thanks for sharing.

16. Thoughts on substituting garlic, or roasted garlic, for the scallions, these sound great as is, but I sort of have a small obsession with putting garlic in things…

• You could mince some and add it to the batter, or just add more garlic powder than I called for in the recipe :)

17. Thanks for this wonderful blog. I made these today at morning. Just half of it and It was perfect. Also, Just in case somebody wanna know I use all purpose floor gluten free (bob’s mills) instead regular flour and truvia or stevia instead of sugar! Delicious! You made me love cooking!

18. Emma says:

I made these today and they were absolutely delicious!
    A great hit with the family.

19. I just made this today AMAZING!

20. Symone B says:

Scones are pretty much the bomb diggity. I’m a huge fan of the savory and the sweet and in my scone making hayday, which may or may not have been last month, I learned a quick and easy way to incorporate the butter and flour:
    1. Freeze your butter, trust me, it’s awesome.
    2. Bust out your cheese grater, make sure its clean.
    3. Grate the frozen butter into the flour. Now I like to use the bigger grater side (I have a box grater), but I’m sure the wee side would work well too.
    4. Dig in. Seriously, I like to do this with my hands now that its all itsy slices of butter happiness. I just rub it into the flour like I’m scouring my hands with sand, palms only.
    This process, takes me maybe 3 minutes tops now, so anytime my roommates or I want some delicious sconey goodness, it happens.

21. I tried this recipe last night and it was great. It was the first time I’ve made scones, I didn’t know they could be so easy; I’m about to do another batch now. Great website, I appreciate the clear instructions and photos. I can’t remember how I found your site, but I’ll keep checking in.

22. Yum! I’ve never tried savory scones before! These sound fantastic!

23. I think I’m in love with these. And I love the other comment about adding jalapeños! I’m definitely going to give these a shot.

24. Brittany says:

What about subbing the scallions with jalapenos bits? Think it’d work (for dipping in chili)?

PS – anytime you want to supply us with more scone flavors to try is JUST FINE by me! :D

25. Melissa says:

Ok, so I just pulled some of your sandwich bread out of the oven (it’s a staple at our house), I have some of your homemade marinara simmering on the stove, I’m about to start some chicken & rice soup for dinner and make these to go with it. My family LOVES your recipes!!! :)

26. Sally says:

These look wonderful! Like Laura, I would freeze these before baking and bake a few more minutes.

27. Catherine says:

Love a cheese scone. What about adding mustard to the mix? A cafe near me serves their cheese scones warmed with butter and spicy tomato chutney relish

28. Just made these and topped with smashed avocados and poached eggs. Delish!

29. kristin says:

I just made these and was very underwhelmed. The flavor is bland and they were not flakey. I made sure to use cold butter. Maybe I just suck at making scones.

30. Angie says:

Any chance you could offer a gluten-free version of this one?

31. Olivia says:

Hello – can I substitute almond milk in this recipe? I have unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Or, would plain almond milk be okay? I just started buying it and I love it!

• Yes, I think that will still work okay. You’d probably want to use the plain flavor, though. :)

• Maggie says:

Unsweeted almond milk for savory is best, but that vanilla-flavored milk would probably be delish for sweet scones!

32. This is such a great flavor combo! I love savory scones. I make something very similar, but with the addition of bacon!

33. I made these for lunch today as an accompaniment for a mushroom & leek soup. They were great, thanks!

• Julie Chismar says:

Trying to cut out wheat, etc. to see if it stops my tremors (from Dr. Perlmutter, neurologist). How about almond or coconut flour? I miss bread and these look so delicious..and, of course, smothered in butter.

• Honestly, I’ve never baked with those types of flour before, so I’m not sure how it would work out. If you try it, please report back about the results! :)

34. These guys sound fantastic! I bet they’d be good split and filled with a couple slices of turkey and some lettuce for a quick lunch, too.

35. Jill says:

If I wanted to freeze these, would it be better to freeze them before or after baking? And if before, do you bake the raw dough straight from the freezer or thaw it first?

• For items like this, I like to freeze after baking. Just make sure they are fully cooled to room temperature before putting them in a freezer bag and transferring to the freezer. They can then thaw at room temperature for a few minutes or with a brief zap in the microwave.

• SamA says:

I freeze homemade biscuits a lot. They work really well toasted right from the freezer. I think these scones would be good in a toaster oven too.

• Laura says:

I freeze things like this pre-baking. It makes it easy to cook 1 or 2 to yo with dinner. I cook them straight from the freezer. Same temperature as unfrozen, but expect them to take a few minutes longer. For these, maybe 5-7 minutes more (my biscuits I usually give 3-4 minutes more, and the standard bake time on just-made dough for them is 10 minutes).