Spinach & Artichoke Wonderpot

If you’re a fan of the original wonderpot recipe, you’re gonna love this one! I think I even like this combination of mushrooms, artichoke hearts, and spinach even better. It has a rich, earthy flavor that made me want to eat it straight from the pot!

If you’ve never experienced the wonderpot, it’s a simple one step pasta dish where the pasta and all the ingredients cook together in a flavorful broth. As the broth cooks down and gets absorbed by the pasta, it creates a thick, starchy, super flavorful sauce. I made a vegetarian version here, but found that it was also amazing with Parmesan and it would probably make a great second use for leftover rotisserie chicken.

And just to demonstrate how insanely easy this recipe is, I cooked and photographed this while simultaneously making phone calls to my car insurance adjuster, his supervisor, and the collision shop. I was taking names and kicking butt all while this super yummy dinner was simmering on the stove. All I needed to do was a quick chop and the occasional stir. 30 minutes later my car insurance issues were resolved and my dinner was finished! :D

Spinach & Artichoke Wonderpot

Mushroom Artichoke Wonderpot

Spinach & Artichoke Wonderpot

• 8 oz. mushrooms $1.99
  • 1 (14 oz.) can artichoke hearts $2.50
  • 4 cloves garlic $0.32
  • 1 medium yellow onion $0.34
  • 5 cups vegetable broth $0.65
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil $0.32
  • 12 oz. fettuccine $1.33
  • 1 tsp dried oregano $0.10
  • ½ tsp dried thyme $0.05
  • freshly cracked pepper (15-20 cranks) $0.05
  • 4 oz. frozen cut spinach $0.40
  1. Rinse the mushrooms to remove any dirt or debris. Slice the mushrooms thinly. Drain the can of artichoke hearts and roughly chop them into bite-sized pieces. Thinly slice the onion and garlic (you can mince the garlic if you don't want large slices).
  2. Place the vegetable broth, olive oil, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, onions, and garlic in a large pot. Break the fettuccine in half and add it to the pot along with the oregano, thyme, and some freshly cracked pepper. Push the ingredients down under the broth as much as possible. Place a lid on the pot and bring it up to a rolling boil over high heat.
  3. As soon as it reaches a boil, stir the pot to evenly distribute the ingredients and prevent the pasta from sticking. Turn the heat down to low so that the pot is just simmering. Allow the pot to simmer, with the lid on, for 10-15 minutes, or until the pasta is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Give the pot a stir every few minutes to prevent the pasta from sticking.
  4. Once the pasta is cooked through, add the frozen spinach. Allow the heat from the pasta to thaw the spinach. Stir the pot to help break up the clumps of spinach as they melt. Serve hot.
Notes
If you use low sodium vegetable broth, you may want to season with a little salt at the end. Sometimes just a pinch of salt will help pronounce the flavors and prevent a bland finish.

Mushroom Artichoke Wonderpot

Step by Step Photos

Slice Veggies

Start by prepping the veggies. Give the mushrooms a quick rinse to remove dirt and then slice them thinly. Drain the artichoke hearts and then just chop them up roughly so that they are in smaller, bit-sized pieces. Thinly slice the onion and garlic. If you don’t want big garlic pieces, you can mince it. I used regular white button mushrooms, but you could experiment with other varieties!

Ready to Cook

Place all of the ingredients minus the frozen spinach in a large pot. Break the fettuccine in half first because the shorter pieces will be easier to stir later (plus you need it short enough so that it will be submerged in the broth). I found that adding the spinach at the end helps it keep that nice vibrant green color. Push all of the ingredients down under the liquid as much as possible. Place a lid on top and bring it up to a boil over high heat. As soon as it reaches a boil, give it a good stir, and reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer on low, with the lid in place, for 10-15 minutes, or until the pasta is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Give it a stir every couple of minutes to keep the pasta from sticking.

Spinach

Once the pasta is cooked, add the frozen spinach (straight from the freezer) and let the heat from the pasta heat it through. Stir it around a bit to break up the clumps as they thaw. I like to keep a bag of this cut spinach in my freezer because it’s any easy way to add a bit of green to any recipe. I used 4 0z. which is about 1/4 of this bag (I just eyeballed it… about 1.5 cups or so).

Mushroom Artichoke Wonderpot

And then you suddenly have this! Amazing! Easy! Yum! It’s WONDERPOT!

Mushroom Artichoke Wonderpot

Take a closer look…

Mushroom Artichoke Wonderpot

It’s also pretty amazing with Parmesan, although I thought it was super delish even without. If you’re vegan, try some nutritional yeast sprinkled over top!

Okay, going to go carve pumpkins! BYE!

1. Victoria says:

Golly, this is yummy! My boyfriend made this for me last night and he did his own thing with the seasoning. Tastes even better the next day :-D

2. Moretta says:

This received widespread acclaim from my family. It was easily personalized on the back end, too — my daughter put some hot sauce on hers and my son added parmesan. I might double the spinach next time.

3. Sandra says:

Made this tonight! Added red pepper flakes, nutritional yeast, dash of baking soda (just because I don’t like the bite of the veg broth), Italian seasoning (because I didn’t have thyme and oregano separately), whole wheat thin spaghetti, fresh spinach and topped with shredded parmesan.

Spectacular! So yummy!

4. Carmie says:

I made this last night! I only made a couple of changes. I didn’t have broth so I used water and added a can of fire roasted tomatoes with their juice. To give a bit more flavor I used a tsp of red pepper flakes. I also used fresh spinach instead of frozen. I added a big handful of parm at the end. Definitely a quick and easy dinner to add to the cookbook!

5. I had this last night and really liked it. I used bouillon paste for the veggie broth, so I was able to flavor my broth strongly. Thanks for a great recipe!

6. jordan says:

I’m surprised to see anyone in the comments saying it was bland. I used vegetable bouillon to make the broth. And I used fresh artichoke. I thought it was great considering how skeptical I was. I did have what seemed like alot if juice leftover, but I think ifi added more pasta/veggies it would have been good. Delicious!

7. Alli says:

We had this for dinner last night and I was good — nice, warm, comfort food. I did saute the onion, mushrooms, and garlic first before adding the rest of the ingredients. I used whole wheat linguine, cooked for 11 minutes, added salt and pepper to taste, and topped with grated parmesan. Two of my three kids liked it. Next time, I’d also serve with sauteed shrimp and maybe a bit of red pepper for a kick. There was more liquid left in the pot than I expected, but not a drastic amount. I’m already looking forward to having some leftovers for lunch!

8. Just made this-loved it! Do you think I can freeze some and save it?

• Yes, although the pasta will continue to absorb the liquid and soften, so if soft pasta bothers you, you may not like it.

9. Kristine says:

I was excited to try this recipe, but I too found it a bit bland. After tasting it we added red pepper flakes and a bay leaf as one of the commenters suggested and that did help. I really like the concept of the wonderpot though, so this has inspired us to do some experimenting along these lines which we are looking forward to!

10. Grace says:

Hi,
    Do you think there is and reason I could not just do tbis in the crockpot on low for 4 or so hours?
    Looks yummy! Ill tell you how it turns out.

• This one will definitely not work in the crock pot. It needs a very brief cooking time to make sure the noodles don’t disintegrate. You’ll end up with a pot of mush if you use the slow cooker. :)

11. Piper says:

I just tried making this and it did not turn out the way that I had hoped. I followed the recipe to a T and it turned out pretty bland. The veggies have very little flavor and same with the noodles. Good idea, but the recipe definitely needs some tweeking.

12. Julia says:

I’ve made this a dozen times and it has turned out great every time. If people are having problems with the pasta not cooking they are probably putting too much in the pot or not breaking it in half. I’ve made it with linguine and that was good too. Everyone I have made it for has absolutely loved it and gone back for seconds. Also – it tastes really good and possibly even better leftover. Thanks!

13. I would love to feature this recipe on my Vegan blog this coming Tuesday. I made it and loved it and so would my readers. Are you ok with that? Thank you for this recipe.

14. Jo Moosabhoy says:

Let me start by saying, Thank You for introducing me to such a delicious and easy meal.
    I substituted asparagus with artichokes and I used fresh spinach instead of frozen. I also sauted the onions, mushrooms and garlic in some butter for a few minutes, added the spices in it to release the flavor and then added the broth. My kids, 12,8 and 5 are it up, veggies and all. I added some crushed red pepper too for some extra kick. Love it!

15. Emily says:

This is an ok recipe as is but with a few changes, it really becomes something full of flavor and color. I was working with what I had on hand so I had to omit the onions and artichokes. I also used a skillet vs a pot. I close to tripled the amount of mushrooms (2 1/2 – 3 cups) and sautéed them along with the garlic in a bit of olive oil first. I truly think that sautéeing your veggies beforehand really brings out the flavor. I then added the broth (I used chicken broth) along with a box of rigatoni. I doubled the amount of oregano and also added rosemary, some basil, and a pinch of red pepper flakes along with the thyme and black pepper. About halfway through cooking, I added two diced tomatoes. I also used fresh spinach vs frozen. The sauce was very watery for me at the end so I added a mixture of flour and water (you can also use cornstarch). I had no issues with the pasta not cooking properly. I kept a lid on the skillet and stirred it every few minutes. This would really be perfect with some chicken added in the beginning! I will try this next time with the onion and artichoke but I loved the way mine turned out for me! Thank you for the inspiration!

• Melanie S. says:

I agree. As is, it was pretty bland. I had to add salt, and pasta sauce for it to be any good. I wish I would have read your suggestions beforehand. I’m not trying to be rude, just being truthful.

16. Christine J says:

I just made this and it turned out great. Very rich and flavorful, plus extra points for being silly easy. I’ve found in the past that sometimes fettuccine sticks together and ends up cooking unevenly, so I stir it with a pasta server, which separates the pieces and works like a charm. I used Better than Boullion and it was too salty, but that’s easy enough to correct next time (I’ll go down by a third). And there will definitely be a next time.

17. ruth.i says:

i made this tonight using penne pasta instead of fettuccine & it was really good. that was my only substitution. it did have a bit too much broth at the end, but we still really dug it. thanks!

18. I made this for dinner tonight, and it was delicious! I modified the recipe by adding peas, replacing the spinach with kale, and stirring in a little heavy cream at the end. It tasted like alfredo, and my husband raved about it. Love your site, Beth!

19. Katie says:

Made this tonight and it came out perfectly! Stirred all the ingredients together before I turned the heat on to evenly distribute and prevent sticking. Added a little more seasoning than recommended. It was great with a little parm cheese! Thanks for the quick, easy recipe!

20. Katie says:

Made this last night – it was great, such an easy meal for me and my vegetarian boyfriend.

My pasta stuck to itself a little, but I think if you give it a good mix and get it evenly distributed before you take it to the heat, that would be less of an issue. It wasn’t a big deal and I was able to break up the stuck together strands as it cooked.

I used fresh spinach but I love Better Than Boullion so used that concentrated product to save money on broth. DELICIOUS!

21. Elena says:

The photos are great aren’t they? Well, take a look and walk away!
    This is a terrible recipe. The pasta could not possibly be cooked properly because it is not fully submerged in Liquid. There is no way to cook it properly. Some pasta was overlooked and mushy and some had a weird texture and was not ready to eat. And yes, I did stir it every 5 minutes or so. I did not walk away, I was vigilant and hoped for the best while my loved ones were rooting for great results. They were brave and ate it.
    U threw away most.

22. Jennifer says:

I wonder where they get the prices.. because that’s not what my grocery sells it for! Especially the broth and spinnach..

23. Mariam says:

There are so many positive reviews so I thought I would try this, but even though I followed the recipe exactly it turned out really bland and had a weird texture and I ended up throwing it away.. really disappointing.

24. Cherrie says:

Has anyone used the calorie-free shirataki noodles in this recipe? How did it turn out?