Spinach & Artichoke Wonderpot

If you’re a fan of the original wonderpot recipe, you’re gonna love this one! I think I even like this combination of mushrooms, artichoke hearts, and spinach even better. It has a rich, earthy flavor that made me want to eat it straight from the pot!

If you’ve never experienced the wonderpot, it’s a simple one step pasta dish where the pasta and all the ingredients cook together in a flavorful broth. As the broth cooks down and gets absorbed by the pasta, it creates a thick, starchy, super flavorful sauce. I made a vegetarian version here, but found that it was also amazing with Parmesan and it would probably make a great second use for leftover rotisserie chicken.

And just to demonstrate how insanely easy this recipe is, I cooked and photographed this while simultaneously making phone calls to my car insurance adjuster, his supervisor, and the collision shop. I was taking names and kicking butt all while this super yummy dinner was simmering on the stove. All I needed to do was a quick chop and the occasional stir. 30 minutes later my car insurance issues were resolved and my dinner was finished! :D

Spinach & Artichoke Wonderpot

Mushroom Artichoke Wonderpot

Spinach & Artichoke Wonderpot

• 8 oz. mushrooms $1.99
  • 1 (14 oz.) can artichoke hearts $2.50
  • 4 cloves garlic $0.32
  • 1 medium yellow onion $0.34
  • 5 cups vegetable broth $0.65
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil $0.32
  • 12 oz. fettuccine $1.33
  • 1 tsp dried oregano $0.10
  • ½ tsp dried thyme $0.05
  • freshly cracked pepper (15-20 cranks) $0.05
  • 4 oz. frozen cut spinach $0.40
  1. Rinse the mushrooms to remove any dirt or debris. Slice the mushrooms thinly. Drain the can of artichoke hearts and roughly chop them into bite-sized pieces. Thinly slice the onion and garlic (you can mince the garlic if you don't want large slices).
  2. Place the vegetable broth, olive oil, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, onions, and garlic in a large pot. Break the fettuccine in half and add it to the pot along with the oregano, thyme, and some freshly cracked pepper. Push the ingredients down under the broth as much as possible. Place a lid on the pot and bring it up to a rolling boil over high heat.
  3. As soon as it reaches a boil, stir the pot to evenly distribute the ingredients and prevent the pasta from sticking. Turn the heat down to low so that the pot is just simmering. Allow the pot to simmer, with the lid on, for 10-15 minutes, or until the pasta is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Give the pot a stir every few minutes to prevent the pasta from sticking.
  4. Once the pasta is cooked through, add the frozen spinach. Allow the heat from the pasta to thaw the spinach. Stir the pot to help break up the clumps of spinach as they melt. Serve hot.
Notes
If you use low sodium vegetable broth, you may want to season with a little salt at the end. Sometimes just a pinch of salt will help pronounce the flavors and prevent a bland finish.

Mushroom Artichoke Wonderpot

Step by Step Photos

Slice Veggies

Start by prepping the veggies. Give the mushrooms a quick rinse to remove dirt and then slice them thinly. Drain the artichoke hearts and then just chop them up roughly so that they are in smaller, bit-sized pieces. Thinly slice the onion and garlic. If you don’t want big garlic pieces, you can mince it. I used regular white button mushrooms, but you could experiment with other varieties!

Ready to Cook

Place all of the ingredients minus the frozen spinach in a large pot. Break the fettuccine in half first because the shorter pieces will be easier to stir later (plus you need it short enough so that it will be submerged in the broth). I found that adding the spinach at the end helps it keep that nice vibrant green color. Push all of the ingredients down under the liquid as much as possible. Place a lid on top and bring it up to a boil over high heat. As soon as it reaches a boil, give it a good stir, and reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer on low, with the lid in place, for 10-15 minutes, or until the pasta is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Give it a stir every couple of minutes to keep the pasta from sticking.

Spinach

Once the pasta is cooked, add the frozen spinach (straight from the freezer) and let the heat from the pasta heat it through. Stir it around a bit to break up the clumps as they thaw. I like to keep a bag of this cut spinach in my freezer because it’s any easy way to add a bit of green to any recipe. I used 4 0z. which is about 1/4 of this bag (I just eyeballed it… about 1.5 cups or so).

Mushroom Artichoke Wonderpot

And then you suddenly have this! Amazing! Easy! Yum! It’s WONDERPOT!

Mushroom Artichoke Wonderpot

Take a closer look…

Mushroom Artichoke Wonderpot

It’s also pretty amazing with Parmesan, although I thought it was super delish even without. If you’re vegan, try some nutritional yeast sprinkled over top!

Okay, going to go carve pumpkins! BYE!

1. Michelle says:

Im curious if you think you could throw this in a crockpot?

2. Kelley says:

I’ve been making this recipe every meal rotation (so about every two weeks) in my house for the last year and IT IS ABSOLUTELY MY FAVORITE THING TO MAKE AND EAT. I cannot get enough of this stuff. It turns out so creamy and delicious. Thanks for the wonderful recipe.

3. This sounds wonderful! But I’m trying to stay away from gluten. Has anyone made it yet with gluten free noodles? If yes, which kind and how did it come out? Sorry if someone already mentioned this…I didn’t read thru all 140 comments:/

4. Judy says:

Could you tell me how large a pot this would need, the largest one I have is a 4 qt. dutch oven. Thanks!

5. This looks SO GOOD! Just wanted to let you know I included it in my round-up of one pot recipes. I’d also love if you submitted this recipe in our contest to win a Swiss Diamond cookware set! http://ow.ly/AOCzs

Thanks again for the great recipe. :)

6. Gary says:

We tried this wonder-pot, and loved it! We used kale in the place of spinach, and it was super tasty. These are great meals for those of us that work crazy hours and need a fast one-and-done dinner when we get home after a long day.

7. Aina says:

I made this yesterday. I added finely chopped broccoli, and a good measure of butter beans for protein. Was surprisingly good, although I would probably add some basil or white wine vinegar next time for more flavor.

I’ll try this with tuna as well.

8. Wendy J. says:

I found this recipe and decided to try it with the ingredients that I found in my kitchen. I substituted spinach for kale and fettuccine pasta for rotini pasta. I enjoyed the dish! It tasted really good!!

9. My son isn’t a fan of mushrooms and my husband isn’t a fan of artichokes, but when I made this they both ate this up and asked for seconds! This was so easy and delicious, we subbed beef broth and then added some chicken (I know, breaking all the rules lol) and it turned out so velvety and flavorful. I want to make this on the regular now!

10. Sounds yummy and I can’t wait to try it! Quick question… I would like to add chicken to it, when would be the best time to add it and how much?? Thanks!!

• I would use pre-cooked chicken (like a shredded rotisserie chicken) and add it in the beginning with the rest of the ingredients.

11. Hi! If I don’t have a big pot could I make in a Le crueset?

12. Samantha Wehrung says:

WOW! I made this last night and even my 10 yr old loved it. This is a wonderful recipe – thank you!

13. Marylea says:

I made this last night and loved it. I really enjoy reading all the comments and getting ideas that appeal to me. I lightly sautéed my veggies first in my cast iron for that great taste. This would also be wonderful with shrimp and pine nuts especially adding some lemon to it. Thanks Beth for all your recipes and inspiration.

14. I made this the other night and it was SO GOOD. I could barely get it into the bowl, I couldn’t stop eating it out of the pot! I used chicken broth and left out the onions (since I didn’t feel like chopping them, haha!), and I had a little issue with it being too watery at first because I didn’t measure the amount of broth I was using properly. I took out some of that broth near the end of cooking time and just drank it as a soup and it was honestly great that way too! I also made your Greek marinated chicken a while ago and it was delicious. I’m looking forward to trying your chana saag for dinner tonight! Thanks so much for writing such a great blog!

15. Sarah M says:

As always….This rocked my face.. Thanks :)

16. Okay, uh. This is amazing. Why hasn’t anyone thought of a wonderpot before?? INGENIOUS!

17. Lorraine says:

I just made this and I loved it. I added a bit more salt, some chicken, and some hot sauce (initial taste test was kinda bland). It turned out great in the end and tons of leftovers. We have unofficial who has the best lunch contests at work and I can’t wait til they see mine tomorrow!

18. Cortney says:

This was disgusting. I have no idea how so many delicious ingredients could turn into a mess if flavorless yuck, but this managed to do just that. I would like my money and my time refunded to me for this waste of a meal.

19. Cindy says:

Added a dash of lemon juice, gave the dish a nice kick – finger licking delicious!!!

20. Made this tonight, used chicken stock instead of veggie, added a lil Lawrys seasoned salt. It turned out pretty good, but I think it needed some meat. Next time, I’m gonna try adding some chicken or steak to it :)

21. Do you happen to know if this recipe would freeze well to make ahead for a rainy day/emergency? Any suggested changes to make it more freezer friendly?

• It will freeze okay, but the pasta will soften and may become slightly mushy upon reheating. It’s a pretty quick and effortless recipe, though, so I’m not sure it would be worth freezing and reheating rather than just making fresh. :)

• Kelly P says:

You could mix all dry ingredients, except pasta, in a freezer bag and all wet ingredients in a different bag and freeze for another night. The wet ingredients would most likely need to be thawed before cooking since the pasta would get cooked so quickly. Or artichokes stay out of the frozen bag. The dry would go into the pot frozen.

You may have to just try it out to see what would happen, but at least your onions and garlic would be cut and spices measured.