Peanut Butter Banana Quesadillas

$0.86 each

I love single serving desserts. They keep you from over indulging because there are no leftovers and they can be whipped up on the fly.

I also love quesadillas, with their crispy outside and gooey filling… Mmmm…

So, I combined the two. These peanut butter banana quesadillas are perfect. Not only does the peanut butter get all warm and gooey, but the bananas and chocolate chips get all gooey, too. All of that inside of a crispy whole wheat shell. YES.

I threw the chocolate chips in there because I had some left over from my Funky Monkey Baked Oatmeal, but you could also try things like a drizzle of honey, or a sprinkle of flaked coconut. Oooh, next time I’m going to add a sprinkle of cinnamon!

Peanut Butter Banana Quesadillas

Peanut Butter Banana Quesadillas

Peanut Butter Banana Quesadillas

Author:
Total Cost: $0.86 each
  • 1 8-inch whole wheat tortilla
  • 2 Tbsp natural peanut butter
  • ½ medium banana
  • 1 Tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips
  1. Spread the peanut butter over the surface of the tortilla.
  2. Slice the banana very thinly and then arrange the slices over half of the tortilla. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the banana slices and then fold the tortilla in half.
  3. Cook the quesadilla in a skillet over medium-low heat until golden brown and crispy on both sides.

Peanut Butter Banana QuesadillasThey go really well with coffee…

Step by Step Photos

dessert quesadilla ingredientsThis is all you need. Most of these things might already be in your pantry. I thought I was going to need 1/4 cup of peanut butter and 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips, but ended up using only half that amount of each and it was plenty.

fill quesadillaSpread the peanut butter over the surface of the tortilla (yes, that’s only 2 tablespoons of PB!). I find that natural peanut butter spreads easier and tastes more peanut-y. Slice the banana very thin. This is important or else the quesadilla won’t hold together as well and the bananas won’t get so gooey. Arrange the slices over half of the tortilla and then sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.

fold quesadillaFold the empty side over the filled side.

cook quesadillaCook the quesadilla in a skillet over medium-low heat until it is golden brown and crispy on both sides. If you are using a non-stick skillet, you probably won’t need any non-stick spray. Cooking over medium-low heat gives the insides time to warm up and get gooey before the outside gets overly browned.

cut quesadillaI like to use a pizza cutter to slice my quesadilla. If you cut from the outside edge in towards the center (the folded edges), less of the filling will squeeze out in the process.

Peanut Butter Banana QuesadillasYes, yes, yes.

1. Gotta try these!

2. Brilliant! My favorite trifecta of flavors: banana, peanut butter, and chocolate.

3. Shannon says:

I like sweet food in the mornings, so I’m probably going to have this for breakfast tomorrow. This would be awesome with Nutella too!

4. Easy and simple! So doing this tonight! Thanks Beth! :-)

5. mandy says:

O.M.G.!!!
    these look so amazing! i’ve been rolling up pb and mashed up nanners in a tortilla as a roll-up snack or bfast (usually adding in some walnuts or craisins or something), but i NEVER would have thought of choco chips and then melting the sucker dilla style…this is epic! thanks so much beth!

6. These are my absolute favorite! I always have them for breakfast…orrrr a midnight snack ;)

7. Reminds me very much of my grilled peanutbutter sandwiches. Same concept as a grilled cheese, only with peanut butter. This looks pretty satisfying!

8. So easy! These look fab!

9. These look delicious! My breakfast for tomorrow is sorted. :)

10. These look amazing! Forget dessert, these are my breakfast tomorrow :)

11. Sarah jane says:

By dessert, you obviously meant this morning’s breakfast.

12. Maria says:

I’m so making this!

13. I made one for breakfast this morning, and I managed to burn the peanut butter in the process of crisping the tortilla! I had it on medium heat, so I figured the heat was just too high. I tried it again with a 2nd quesadilla, this time on low heat, and still burned the peanut butter- before the tortilla got brown at all! Any idea what my issue could be? I have an electric stove.

• Georgina says:

If you’re using peanut butter with sugar added, the sugar could be burning – natural peanut butter won’t have that, it’ll just be peanuts, oil, and maybe salt.

• Hmm, I’m confused. So your peanut butter was touching the skillet and burning, right? Try only spreading it only to about a half inch of the edge of the tortilla so that it doesn’t spill out onto the skillet and burn. Otherwise, there should only be enough heat on the skillet to slightly warm the contents of the quesadilla. If the tortilla on the outside isn’t even brown yet, the contents inside the tortilla shouldn’t even be close to burning.

• I’m using natural peanut butter – Trader Joe’s brand, creamy & salted. It did not spill out of the tortilla into the pan. When I was grilling it, it was browning very slowly. I peeled back the tortilla to see how the insides were doing (if they were cooking/melting), but the peanut butter did not appear gooey at all, but rather gummy and burnt looking. (If you’ve ever seen burnt peanut butter, you know the look I’m describing. :) ) It tasted ok, but I missed the gooeyness I was expecting from the melted peanut butter. Another note: I removed the chocolate chips since I made this for breakfast, and added a sprinkle of cinnamon instead. Could that have done it? Maybe eliminating the chocolate chips took out a lot of the melted gooey moisture?

• That is so strange! I guess I’ve never seen peanut butter burn before. Hmmm… was the peanut butter well mixed? I wonder if not having enough oil mixed into the PB could have something to do with it. I bet the oil from the choc chips does help distribute the heat a bit, too. :(

14. These would totally hit the spot! Love PB and banana combo!

15. Amber P. says:

Oh man, I bet these would be SOOO good with a smear of marshmallow fluff — like a peanut butter and banana s’more. I’m so gonna have to try that.

16. Anna says:

My husband and I have made this before with Nutella, peanut butter, and bananas. MMMM!!

17. Alisha says:

I made these tonight with strawberries because I didn’t have any bananas and added a bit of powdered sugar on top and they came out soooooo good! Thanks for the recipe, I would have never thought to make a dessert quesadilla on my own. YUMMY in my tummy! <3

18. I just had one of these for dinner/dessert! :)

19. i used to make these as a snack all the time after i got home from night classes in grad school. brings back memories! sometimes i would also add a handful of mini marshmallows or a sprinkling of cinnamon. yum!

20. This looks so good! Now my mind is racing through all the different variations you could do with this idea!

21. Sarah says:

Just made these (and now wanting to make more) with peanut butter, bananas, and Nutella. Delish!! They are like the super easy version of crepes!

22. As somebody who doesn’t get on with bananas, I might sub it with tofu. Thanks for the recipe.

23. will says:

You totally stole this idea from Buffy the vampire slayer S 6 E 10 Wrecked. Just saying.

• Hahaha, I’ve never seen it, but will openly admit that the banana/PB/chocolate combo is not a new idea! It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s been done before :)

24. does it have to be whole wheat tortillas? or can I use regular flour tortillas?

25. Brittany says:

Just a head’s up. I was cruising Pinterest today and found a pin that links to this:

The pictures show your name/logo, but I couldn’t find anywhere else on the site where you get rightful credit.

Yours truly,
    Loyal follower :)

ps, I tried to email you this info on the general Contact Me page, but I got an error, so pardon if you get it twice.

26. Sarah says:

Found this recipe on pinterest and made it for dinner tonight and it was DELICIOUS! Something about the warm, melty peanut butter and chocolate chips was great. And I added toffee chips, because why not. So good! Will be made again (and again and again..). Thanks!

27. Arden says:

Just whipped these up on the fly and they are delicious! It’s a great snack for when you’re in a I-want-something-warm-and-sweet-and-really-unhealthy kind of mood. I put on a drizzle of all-natural honey I got from the local bee-keeper and it was a perfect quartet of flavour–honey, peanut butter, chocolate, and banana. Goes great with a glass of milk :) Thanks so much. Loved them!

28. Kellie says:

Anyone know the calorie count on these??? Dieting here, but really wanna try!! Help?

29. christina says:

Just made these and added a drizzle of honey and sprinkle of cinnamon… They were incredibly delicious–gooey, sweet, crunchy, it was the perfect dessert!