Summer Vegetable Tian

Why can’t vegetables be plentiful and yummy all year long? I don’t know but I intend to enjoy them while they’re around!

I like to enjoy vegetables and their natural subtle flavors. I’m not all for frying or smothering with thick, rich sauces… but sometimes, I want something a little more. This vegetable tian lands half way between both worlds. The vegetables are sliced thin, seasoned only with a little salt, pepper, and thyme and then topped with just a small amount of flavorful cheese. Roasting the vegetables magnifies their flavor and gives them just a hint of sweetness. It’s veggie-tastic.

Creamy cheeses work really well with this dish but I happened to have a four cheese Italian blend on hand so I used that.

Summer Vegetable Tian

Summer Vegetable Tian

summer vegetable tian
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil $0.11
  • 1 medium yellow onion $0.70
  • 1 tsp minced garlic $0.08
  • 1 medium zucchini $0.71
  • 1 medium yellow squash $0.85
  • 1 medium potato $0.91
  • 1 medium tomato $1.65
  • 1 tsp dried thyme $0.05
  • to taste salt & pepper $0.05
  • 1 cup shredded Italian cheese $1.49
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Finely dice the onion and mince the garlic. Saute both in a skillet with olive oil until softened (about five minutes).
  2. While the onion and garlic are sauteing, thinly slice the rest of the vegetables.
  3. Spray the inside of an 8×8 square or round baking dish with non-stick spray. Spread the softened onion and garlic in the bottom of the dish. Place the thinly sliced vegetables in the baking dish vertically, in an alternating pattern. Sprinkle generously with salt, pepper, and thyme.
  4. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, top with cheese and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.

vegetable tian

whole vegetablesThis is what I started out with: tomato, potato, onion, zucchini, yellow squash, and garlic.

onion garlicDice the onion and get it cooking with the garlic and olive oil in a skillet.

sliced veggiesMeanwhile, slice the veggies very thin. (I didn’t dare try to use my mandolin again!)

cooked onionsWhen the onions are soft and translucent, place them in the bottom of a baking dish (8×8 or round pie size). I sprayed the inside of my dish to make sure nothing would stick… I have a hunch that rubbing it with butter would add amazing flavor but I didn’t think of that till just now.

line vegetablesAlternate the vegetables in the dish. They don’t have to be pretty. I started out with it looking nice and in a distinct pattern but then I realized that I had a bunch left over and just started jamming them in there… I didn’t want to waste any precious veggies. It all worked out in the end. Oh yeah, sprinkle generously with salt, pepper, and thyme. GENEROUSLY.

baked tianCover the dish with foil and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle with cheese and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is nice and golden brown. ENJOY!

1. Nicole James says:

Sooo good. Cheap, easy, healthy, delicious. I used two tomatoes because I had some that were overly ripe. I also used red potatoes and monteray cheddar cheese mix. I had to add about half an hour extra to the cooking time but it turned out amazing.

2. What wine would pair nicely with this dish?

• This would go great with some grilled meat. It’s so versatile, though, that you could pair it with just about anything.

3. Cristi says:

Its in the oven now! I didn’t have tomatoe so I added sweet potatoe, and buttered the dish. I’ll come back to report how it went over! I’m serving it with salmon parties and roasted garlic couscous.

4. Nicole says:

This looks great! I was thinking it might be really easy to add some protein by pouring eggs into the dish and making it an egg casserole of sorts… do you think the cooking time would need adjusting at all? Thanks!

• That would take some experimentation to see what happens. My only concern would be that the eggs might cook too quickly compared to the vegetables, leaving either the vegetables under cooked or the eggs over cooked.

5. Stephanie says:

For a college student on a budget, this is one of my favorite weekly meals to get in my veggies while still being delicious. It feeds me for at least 3 meals, and with some bread and soup on the side it is perfect. Thanks!

6. Took this to a “Ruthie’ s Kitchen” (a dinner for anyone who walks in the door ) at a local church. It went over very well. I didn’ t care for the thyme, but the one with Italian seasoning was great. I also salted the veggies to keep it from being too soupy when it cooked, I also used Roma tomatoes, they are meatier.
    Thanks f or the great recipes!

7. Justin says:

Tried this tonight. I used a sweet potato, a white potato, tomato, and yellow squash. It cooked for 30+ mins under foil and then another 40 mins with the cheese and no foil—still not done. I’ve now added moisture to the dish to speed things along. It tastes fine, but I’m not sure where I messed up. Maybe the two potatoes were too much for the natural juices from squash and tomato?

• That’s a good guess, but then even a whole potato with no moisture usually becomes tender after an hour of baking. Maybe because the pieces are so close together there isn’t a lot of air flow and that makes it take longer, despite the fact that they’re sliced thin. Hmmm.

8. Coco says:

love this! How many calories would you say per serving?

9. baylyfam says:

Looks good, can’t wait to try it. Just curious – sweet potato vs plain potato?? any thought?

• Some other people have said they’ve used sweet potato and enjoyed it, although I think plain potato works better with these flavors.

10. Ashley says:

@Bzits3 And if your going to call someone out you should learn how to spell or at least read your comment over for typos before you press send. btw made this tonight and it’s great, thanks!

11. norm says:

Looks like you used two tomatoes to me. Not sure if it was mentioned in the posts. Thank you for the recipe!

• It was one tomato that was cut in half before slicing. I cut it in half because the diameter was so much larger than the other vegetables, and I wanted the pieces to be closer to the same size. Other people have thought that it was two tomatoes too, but it’s just the way it looks in the photo. :)

12. raquel says:

I am making it for the second time this month and I absolutely loved the mix of flavors. My husband was very impressed.

13. i did this but mixed panko with the cheese and added twice the suggested amount of thyme and more salt and pepper. It was delicious!

14. Valerie says:

I loved this, and I don’t even like squash! I followed some of the advice here in the comments and scooped out the tomato seeds, salted the potato & squash for about 10 minutes to draw out moisture, and cooked a little longer. It was perfect, not soupy at all. Will definitely make again.

15. raylene says:

Would this work with mozzarella and/or cheddar?
    I don’t have Italian cheese blend, but I have everything else needed.

16. bzist3 says:

I’ve been making this recipe for years but change it up a bit. I’m commenting because something really bothers me when a person uses someone else’s recipe and doesn’t give credit where it is due. I originally got the recipe from Just a Pinch and the poster said she got it from a Facebook group page. The first picture you post isn’t even yours. Proper Netiquette says that you should credit those who you get information and pictures from.

• Yes, these are my photos. Unfortunately my photos have been stolen and shared across the internet without credit. I have the entire set of photos from the original photo shoot still on my hard drive.

• JustSOYouKnow says:

@Bzits3 If you are so keen on trying to call people out on credit, you should know that a simple google image back search would bring your to the original poster aka HERE.

Beth, ignore these jerks.