It’s gift season and I keep seeing those novelty “all-edge” brownie pans that have a zig zag divider snaking through the center that promises to make every brownie have that chewy exterior that usually comes with being baked up against the edge of the pan. And then it hit me, wouldn’t baking them in a muffin tin have the same effect? Yep. It sure does. So, no special pan required for these indulgent “All-Edge” Sweet and Spicy Brownies!
Chewy “All-Edge” Brownies with Warm Spices
How Do You Spice Up Brownies?
I always like my chocolate with a little dose of spice, so I crafted this small batch of All-Edge Spiced Brownies with a little cayenne for kick and a touch of cinnamon for warmth. Both cayenne and cinnamon work beautifully with the earthy flavor of chocolate. If you’re not into spiciness, you can totally leave out the cayenne and cinnamon and make a really rockin’ plain brownie …And maybe stir in a 1/2 cup of chocolate chips? That’s totally up to you.
Small Batch Brownies
Because I didn’t want a million brownies laying around calling my name, I made a small-ish batch of six. After baking them, I realized that I could have filled the cups of the muffin tin even lower to truly make them two-bite brownies, and then had about 9 per batch (and they’ll look a little less like muffins). So, that’s also an option, just be aware that they’ll bake even faster if you fill the cups less.
Are These Chewy Brownies or Cakey Brownies?
These brownies are kind of light, but condense into a nice chewy texture when bitten into. That’s my favorite type of brownie. Not dry and cake-like, but not a dense brick like “fudge” brownies. It’s somewhere right in between! Yessssss.
“All-Edge” Warm and Spicy Brownies
- 1/2 cup flour ($0.07)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder ( $0.21)
- 1 cup granulated sugar ($0.15)
- 1/8 tsp salt ( $0.01)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper ($0.02)
- 1/8 tsp baking powder ($0.01)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon ($0.02)
- 2 large eggs ($0.55)
- 1 tsp vanilla ($0.28)
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted ($0.36)
- 1 tsp butter (for greasing the muffin tin) ($0.03)
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Coat the inside of 6 cups of a muffin tin with butter.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, cayenne, baking powder, and cinnamon until evenly combined.
- Cut the butter into chunks, then microwave until melted (about 30 seconds). Let the butter cool slightly while you add the eggs and vanilla to the bowl with the dry ingredients (don't stir them in just yet). Finally, pour the melted butter into the bowl and then stir until a thick, even brownie batter has formed.
- Divide the batter between the greased cups, then bake for 20 minutes, or until the centers are puffed and the edges are browned. Remove the brownies from the oven and allow to cool (or eat warm!).
See how we calculate recipe costs here.
How to Make “All-Edge” Spicy Brownies – Step by Step Photos
Start by preheating the oven to 375ºF and greasing the inside of 6 cups of a muffin tin with butter. In a mixing bowl combine 1/2 cup flour, 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 cup sugar, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/8 tsp baking powder, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Stir until everything is evenly combined.
Cut 4 Tbsp butter into chunks, then microwave until melted (about 30 seconds). Let the butter cool slightly while adding 2 large eggs and 1 tsp vanilla extract to the bowl. Add the melted butter last, then stir until a thick smooth brownie batter forms…
Like this. OMG YUM.
Divide the batter between the six greased muffin tin cups (or nine if you want them smaller, just remember they’ll bake faster).
Then bake for 20 minutes, or until the centers are puffed and the edges are just a little brown. Let them cool or eat them right away.
These awesome brownies are not dense when baked, but once you bite into them they compress into a thick, chewy, MOIST bite. So perfect.