Hi, I’m Beth…
I’m a food lover, number cruncher, and meticulous budgeter. I love science and art, and the way they come together when I cook. I love to create, problem solve, and learn new things. Making great food is my passion, my purpose, and my favorite thing to share with others. Want to learn with me?
Location: Nashville, TN
Age: old enough to remember life before Facebook. Adult life.
Education: B.S. Nutritional Science, Louisiana State University, 2007; B.S. Clinical Laboratory Science, Louisiana State University, 2011
Years Blogging: 11
What did you do before blogging: Microbiologist
Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Favorite Charity: Feeding America
Savory or Sweet: SAVORY
Pie or Cake: Pie (the pizza kind)
Food Philosophy: Everything in moderation and KEEP IT SIMPLE.
Publications: Budget Bytes: Over 100 Easy, Delicious Recipes to Slash Your Grocery Bill in Half
I started Budget Bytes in 2009, at a point when I felt like I was losing the battle with adulthood. I had recently graduated from college, my student loans had gone into repayment, but I was working a low wage job and was barely able to make ends meet. I had already cut all discretionary spending from my budget, so the only place left to cut was food. Frustrated and unwilling to eat ramen noodles every day, I started tracking every penny that I spent on food to see if there were any small corners that could be cut. And that’s when everything changed.
The simple act of tracking my food costs was transformative. With all the data in front of me I was able to see where my money was being wasted and where I was was getting the most value. I began planning my meals and grocery lists around the budget savers and avoiding the budget sinkers. I started experimenting with new recipes, discovering new foods, and finding new ways to keep my stomach satisfied while still spending less. And that’s when Budget Bytes was born.
I didn’t think anyone would ever see the blog, but it was a fun project and a great way to document my recipes and progress. What I didn’t know at the time was how many other people were dealing with the same budget issues, and how many more people needed to learn basic cooking skills. When the enormity of these two things hit me, Budget Bytes stopped being just a hobby and became my mission.
Budget Bytes has been going strong for almost ten years and has never stopped growing! Since starting the blog, I’ve gone back to school for a second degree, published a cookbook, developed a Budget Bytes mobile app, and expanded the Budget Bytes website and team. I never could have imagined that life could be this amazing. Every day I’m overwhelmed with gratitude for having the opportunity to use my creativity in a way that makes a positive impact on the lives of others. I am the luckiest woman alive.
- Heated from Medium.com – This Thrifty Blogger Dishes on Her Least Expensive Meal
- The Financial Diet Podcast – Beth of Budget Bytes on Meal Prep, Cheap Recipes, and the Best Things at Trader Joe’s
- Healthline – 11 Healthy Eating Accounts Worth Following on Social Media
- Well + Good – This Healthy West African Peanut Stew Costs Just $1 Per Serving
- MarketWatch – This woman slashed her grocery bill using tricks she picked up working at Whole Foods
- Money – 3 Mistakes That Are Costing You Tons of Money at the Grocery Store, According to a Budget Food Blogger
- DatingAdvice.com – Budget Bytes: Affordable Recipes Couples Can Make on Dates at Home
- BadCredit.org – Budget Bytes Helps Home Cooks Have Healthy Dinners Without Going Into Debt
- Food Heaven Podcast – Balanced Eating on a Budget with Budget Bytes
- Parents.com – 9 Seriously Easy Freezer Meals to Make Before Giving Birth
- Thekitchn.com – Budget Bytes Shares Her Week of Inexpensive Dinners
- BYU Radio, Lisa Valentine Clark Show
- SELF – 10 Easy Ways to Make Your Thanksgiving Budget Friendly
- SELF – If You’re Cooking on a Budget, You Need These Foods in Your Pantry
- The Kitchn – 10 People Share the Real-Life Lessons Meal Prep Taught Them
- Mic.com – Follow These 21 Twitter Accounts to Get Smarter About Money
- Buzzfeed – Here’s What a Food Blogger Actually Eats in a Day
- Panel Speaker, 2017 Smart Kitchen Summit
- Dishing With Delishes podcast
- AZ Central
- Saveur Blog Awards – 2016 Winner, Best How-To Food Blog
- Wisconsin Public Radio
- Food Blogger Pro podcast
- The Kitchn – Beth Moncel’s 8 Money-Saving Habits for Better Cooking
- Feedfeed features
- Retail Me Not
- Life Hacker
Now that you know a little about me, how about getting to know a little about Budget Bytes? Get started with these great articles:
- What is Budget Bytes?
- Budget Byting Principles
- How to Calculate Recipe Costs
- Kitchen Basics: Tools & Equipment
- Pantry Staples
- 10 Tips for Recipe Success
- Recipe Index
Thanks for stopping by!
Meet the Budget Bytes Team
Kelly Seaton – Community Manager
Kelly makes sure all things run smoothly behind the scenes at Budget Bytes. She’s the friendly voice behind our customer service helping you find the perfect dinner, navigate tricky recipes, and get you all set with your meal plans. She lives in Colorado with her husband and three kiddos. She loves all things Colorado, hiking, skiing, and of course cooking!