Rice Cooker Spanish Chickpeas and Rice
Rice Cooker Spanish Chickpeas and Rice is an incredibly easy and inexpensive vegan dinner that will keep you full and happy with very little effort.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 1.5 cups each
- 1 Tbsp olive oil $0.16
- 1 cup long grain white rice $0.39
- 1 tsp smoked paprika $0.10
- 1/2 tsp cumin $0.05
- 1/4 tsp oregano $0.02
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper $0.02
- 1/4 tsp onion powder $0.02
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder $0.02
- freshly cracked pepper $0.02
- 1 15oz. can chickpeas, drained $0.55
- 1 15oz. can petite diced tomatoes, with juices $0.49
- 1 6oz. jar quartered artichoke hearts, drained $1.79
- 1 cup vegetable broth $0.13
- 1/4 bunch fresh parsley, chopped $0.22
- 1 fresh lemon $0.43
Combine the olive oil, rice, smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and some freshly cracked pepper (about 10 cranks of a pepper mill) in the bowl of the rice cooker. Stir until the rice is coated in oil and spices.
Next add the chickpeas (drained), diced tomatoes (with juices), artichoke hearts (drained), and vegetable broth. Give everything a brief stir, then closes the rice cooker and turn it on to the white rice setting (or the basic "cook" setting).
Let the rice cooker cook the mixture until finished, then once the cook cycle has completed let it rest on the "keep warm" setting for at least 5 minutes. After resting, open the cooker and gently fluff and stir the mixture to make sure everything is evenly mixed.
To serve, spoon the chickpea and rice mixture into a bowl, sprinkle chopped parsley over top, and serve with a couple wedges of lemon. Squeeze the lemon over top just before eating.