Morning Glory Baked Oatmeal
This Morning Glory Baked Oatmeal is chock full of pineapple, carrots, walnuts, coconut, and apple for a delicious and hearty breakfast.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened apple sauce $1.29
- 2 large eggs $0.44
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar $0.08
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract $0.14
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon $0.05
- 1/2 tsp salt $0.02
- 3/4 tsp baking powder $0.03
- 2-3 carrots, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups) $0.33
- 1 15 oz. can crushed pineapple in juice (drained) $1.09
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut, sweetened $0.26
- 1/3 chopped walnuts $1.63
- 1 cup milk, dairy or soy $0.25
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats $0.43
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together the apple sauce, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder.
Peel the carrots and shred them on a cheese grater. Drain most of the juice out of the can of pineapple (it can be saved for smoothies or cocktails). Add the shredded carrots, pineapple, coconut, and chopped walnuts to the apple sauce mixture. Stir until well combined. Add the milk and stir again. Finally, add the dry oats and stir until they are well mixed and coated in the wet mixture.
Pour the oat mixture into an 8x8 or 9x9 inch casserole dish that has been coated with non-stick spray. Bake (uncovered) in the oven for 45 minutes. Serve hot or refrigerate until ready to eat. The baked oatmeal can be enjoyed cold or reheated in the microwave.