A creamy and spicy dish, turmeric chicken will not leave your taste buds wanting more.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time55 mins
- 2 Tbsp olive oil $0.22
- 1/2 large red onion $0.65
- 2 inches fresh ginger $0.30
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic $0.24
- 1/2 Tbsp turmeric $0.07
- 1/2 tsp cumin $0.03
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon $0.03
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper $0.02
- 1 whole bay leaf $0.15
- 2 lb. chicken, breast or thigh $3.98
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes $1.17
- 1 13 oz. can coconut milk $2.15
- to taste salt & pepper $0.05
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, optional $0.20
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice $0.88
Combine the jasmine rice with 3 cups of cold water in a medium pot. Place a lid on top and bring up to a boil over high heat. As soon as it reaches a rolling boil, reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, turn the heat off and let it sit undisturbed until you are ready to serve it.
Dice the onion, mince the garlic, and grate the ginger using a small cheese grater. Saute all three in a large pot over medium heat with 2 Tbsp. of olive oil.
When the onions have softened, add the turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, and red pepper. Saute for 2 minutes. Dice the chicken and add to the pot. Saute until cooked through (7-10 minutes).
Add the can of tomatoes and the bay leaf. Place a lid on top and let simmer for 30 minutes. Turn the heat off and stir in the coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Fluff the rice with a fork. Serve the stewed chicken mixture over a heaping portion of rice. Sprinkle fresh cilantro on top if desired.