Welcome to another episode of Random Things Beth Makes with Leftovers in Her Fridge! This week it’s a super Quick Fix Broccoli Pesto Pizza that totally surpassed my expectations. I’m definitely going to be making this one again, and often. As with all of my “throw together meals” this one has some universal applications, so even if you don’t have the exact same leftovers as me, I hope this pizza inspires you!
“Quick Fix” Broccoli Pesto Pizza
Tortillas for the Win!
To make this Broccoli Pesto Pizza as fast and easy as possible, I used a tortillas as the pizza crust. Tortillas make the best thin and crispy pizza crusts and are pretty much effortless. If you haven’t used a tortilla as a pizza crust yet, you’re totally missing out.
I used some pesto that I had in my pantry as my pizza sauce. The oil kind of soaked into the tortilla and gave it an almost fry bread-like texture, which was unexpected but totally awesome. A little chopped frozen broccoli went on top, along with some mozzarella, a light sprinkle of feta for a salty kick, and a pinch of red pepper flakes for fire. The combo is so unexpectedly delicious and I’m IN LOVE.
Can I Use Fresh Broccoli?
Yes, but the broccoli will not cook through in the 5-6 minutes that the pizza is in the oven, so you’ll have more of a raw broccoli topping. Or you can par-cook your broccoli before beginning. Frozen broccoli is great because it’s par-boiled before freezing, so it already tender once thawed.
What Else Can I Put on My Broccoli Pesto Pizza?
If you want to add to the broccoli and pesto, here are a few ideas that I think would be amazing, if you happen to have them on hand: roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, goat cheese, or bacon. Maybe not all of them because that would be a little overwhelming, but adding one or two would be good.
And if you don’t like broccoli or pesto, feel free to use whatever toppings you like on pizza! I’m known to hit up the salad bar at the grocery store for a pinch of this or that to top my pizzas, without having to buy a LOT of each item (see Quick Fix Salad Bar Pizza).
Quick Fix Broccoli Pesto Pizza
- 1 8-inch flour tortilla ($0.24)
- 2 Tbsp pesto ($0.37)
- 1/2 cup frozen broccoli florets, thawed ($0.28)
- 2 oz. shredded mozzarella ($0.42)
- 1/2 oz. crumbled feta (about 1 Tbsp) ($0.27)
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper ($0.02)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Place the tortilla on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for about 6 minutes, or just until it begins to form bubbles and turn golden on the edges.* Remove the tortilla from the oven.
- While the tortilla is in the oven, finely chop the broccoli florets. Use a paper towel to lightly blot the broccoli to remove any excess water.
- Spread the pesto over the par-baked tortilla. Next, top with the chopped broccoli, shredded mozzarella, crumbled feta, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Bake the topped pizza for an additional 6 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted.
Step by Step Photos
Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Place an 8-inch flour tortilla on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for about 6 minutes, or until it begins to bubble up and the edges are just beginning to turn golden brown.
While the tortilla is baking, chop about 1/2 cup of thawed frozen broccoli florets. Blot them dry with a paper towel.
Spread about 2 Tbsp pesto on the par-baked tortilla.
Sprinkle the chopped broccoli on top of the pesto, followed by about 2 oz. of shredded mozzarella.
Finally, add a light sprinkle of crumbled feta (about 1/2 oz. or 1 Tbsp) and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
Return the pizza to the oven (still at 350ºF) and bake for an additional 6 minutes, or just until the cheese is melted.
Slice the Broccoli Pesto Pizza and serve immediately!