I can’t even pretend this one is healthy, so I won’t. It’s just straight up delicious, and that’s all. A one trick pony. So, you know, eat it with a salad or something.
I do like to indulge on occasion and when I do, I prefer to make it myself. That way I don’t get hit in the stomach AND the wallet at the same time, you know? Why pay Papa Johns $20 for this when I can make it for $5?
This super tasty Buffalo Chicken Pizza starts with a homemade crust (you can use store bought if you’re in a pinch for time), then is topped with a really fast and easy garlic cream sauce, shredded chicken coated in spicy buffalo sauce, a little cheese for good measure, and some thinly sliced green onions. Between the garlic cream sauce and the green onions you almost have a ranch-esque flavor that plays so nicely against the spicy and tangy buffalo sauce. My taste buds really couldn’t get enough of this pizza. It’s DAN-GER-OUS (and well worth my splurge allowance).
I used pre-cooked and shredded chicken that I had in my freezer, but you could also use a store bought rotisserie chicken or just some pre-cooked chopped chicken instead. I literally bought the cheapest buffalo sauce at the store, but if you want to make your own I’m pretty sure it’s just hot sauce mixed with butter (see? no healthy-ness today!). And lastly, I wrote blue cheese into the recipe below and even bought some to put on my pizza, but totally forgot to add it, so you won’t see it in the pictures. ;)
- 2 cups all purpose flour (plus a little for dusting) $0.28
- 1 tsp salt $0.05
- ¼ tsp instant or bread machine yeast $0.02
- ¾ cup (approximately) water $0.00
- 1 Tbsp butter $0.09
- 1 clove garlic $0.08
- 4 oz. cream cheese $1.00
- ½ cup milk $0.31
- ¼ tsp salt $0.02
- 2 cups shredded chicken $0.93
- ⅓ cup buffalo wing sauce $0.51
- 1 cup shredded cheese (mozzarella or cheddar) $1.25
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles $0.30
- 3 green onions, sliced $0.20
- Prepare the dough the night before. In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, and yeast. Stir until well combined. Add just enough water to make the mixture come into a single ball of dough with no dry flour left in the bowl (about ¾ cup water - amount may vary). Loosely cover the dough and allow it to ferment at room temperature over night (12-18 hours).
- The next day, prepare the cream sauce. Combine the butter and minced garlic in a small sauce pot. Cook over medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes, or until the garlic is soft. Add the cream cheese, milk, and salt. Whisk and cook for a few minutes more, or until the cream cheese has melted and the sauce becomes smooth. Set the sauce aside.
- Combine the shredded chicken and buffalo sauce in a bowl and toss until the chicken is well coated.
- When you're ready to build the pizza, begin preheating the oven to 450 degrees. Dust the ball of dough generously with flour, then remove it from the bowl. The dough will be very loose and sticky. Using enough flour to keep your hands from sticking, stretch the dough out into a 14 to 16 inch circle. Place the dough on a pizza pan.
- Spread the cream sauce over the surface of the dough. Next add the buffalo chicken, the shredded cheese, and finally the blue cheese crumbles. Once the oven has fully preheated, bake the pizza for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly, and the crust is golden brown.
- When the pizza comes out of the oven, top it with sliced green onions and serve.
Step by Step Photos
If you want to make your own dough as I did here, you’ll need to start it the day before. I do have other pizza dough recipes that can be made the same day, but I find that this type with the over night fermentation tastes better, has a better texture, and it requires NO KNEADING! :D Anyway, to make this dough, stir together 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp instant or bread machine yeast. Once they’re well combined, add about 3/4 cup water, or just enough to make it come together into a ball of dough with no dry flour left in the bowl. The dough should be very shaggy and sticky (not smooth like a pretty kneaded dough). Loosely cover the dough and let it ferment at room temperature over night (12-18 hours).
The next day, when you’re about ready to start making my pizza, make the garlic cream sauce. It’s super fast and easy! In a small sauce pot, combine 1 Tbsp butter and one clove of minced garlic. Cook this over medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes, or until the garlic is soft and fragrant.
Next add 1/2 cup milk, 4 oz. cream cheese, and 1/4 tsp salt. Hint: the block of cream cheese is usually marked with lines indicating 2, 4, 6, and 8 ounces, so just cut on the 4oz. mark. OR, just make sure you purchased an 8 oz. block and divide it in half.
Continue to whisk and cook this mixture until the cheese has melted in and the sauce becomes smooth. It will look all chunky and not pretty at first, but the cream cheese will eventually melt in. Just don’t mistake the minced garlic for bits of unmelted cream cheese or you’ll be cooking it forever!
Next on the list: Make the buffalo chicken. I used pre-cooked and shredded chicken that I had made previously (about 2 cups), but you could also use a rotisserie chicken or any leftover cooked chicken. I used about 1/3 cup of this wing sauce. It was the least expensive one at the store :P You can also make your own buffalo wing sauce by combining butter and hot sauce. Anyway, just coat the chicken in the sauce. Easy.
Now that it’s just about time to assemble the pizza, you’ll want to start preheating the oven to 450 degrees because it needs to be VERY hot. After 12+ hours of fermenting, the dough looks like this. It will be very soft and sticky, so toss a good handful of flour on there before you attempt to get it out of the bowl (or pot, in my case).
Using enough flour to keep the dough from sticking to your hands, stretch the dough into a 14 to 16 inch circle. The easiest way to do that is to first shape the dough into a ball, then press the ball into a flat, circular disc (about 8-10 inches across), then finally stretch it out into the pizza shape. Place the dough on a pizza pan (I coated mine in non-stick spray just to be safe). Next, pour that delicious garlic cream sauce onto the dough and spread it around. Add the buffalo sauce coated chicken, then 1 cup of shredded cheese (I had some leftover cheddar and mozz, so I used a mix of both). Lastly, sprinkle on the blue cheese crumbles.
I’m not a huge fan of blue cheese and I knew that if I bought a whole package, the rest would go to waste. So, I went to the salad bar at the grocery store and got just one scoop. And then I completely forgot to add it to my pizza. :P
Once the pizza is topped with sauce, chicken, and cheese, bake it in the preheated oven (make sure it’s fully up to temp!) for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese and sauce are all bubbly and the crust is golden brown. After it comes out of the oven, add the sliced green onions. YUM. The cream sauce and buffalo sauce get all mingled in the oven and it’s just SO. GOOD.
NOTE: See how “blonde” my crust is? That can happen if you leave the dough with too much flour on the surface when you bake it. The flour kind of prevents the nice browning action. Brushing a little oil onto the crust before baking will help make it nice and golden brown (or, you know, don’t use too much flour when shaping the dough).
OM NOM NOM (don’t look at me while I’m stuffing my face…)