If you’ve made a batch of Collard Greens and you just can’t get enough, here’s just one more way you can eat them. Plus, nothing makes you feel like a nutritional super star more than eating greens for breakfast (just ignore the butter and egg and all that).
Grits n’ Greens
Grits 'n Greens
This super hearty breakfast starts with a bed of traditional grits, gets dressed up with some cooked collard greens and then is topped off with an egg.
- 3 Tbsp quick cooking grits $0.04
- 1/2 Tbsp butter $0.03
- 1/2 cup collard greens $0.42
- 1 lg. egg $0.12
- to taste salt and pepper $0.05
- Cook the grits according to the directions on the package (mix with 1 cup of water and microwave on high for 1.5 minutes – watch to make sure it doesn’t boil over). Season the grits with butter, salt and pepper.
- In a small skillet, cook the egg leaving the yolk runny (if desired).
- Warm a half cup of collard greens in the microwave. Spoon the greens over the grits then top with the egg. Dig in!
Step By Step Photos
put the grits in the bowl first…
Then add the reheated collard greens…
Finish it off with an egg.
This breakfast will keep your tummy happy for HOURS.