Roasted Eggplant with Lemon Tahini Dressing

Oh how I love summer! Produce prices finally come down and neighbors begin to share their bumper crops of tomato, zucchini, and eggplant. When I walked into the store the other day I saw that eggplant was on sale, so I took the opportunity to make an extra vegetable side for my meal. Eggplant with tahini is a fairly common combo and, since I love them both so much, I couldn’t wait to try it. I simply roasted the eggplant in the oven until it was soft and creamy, then drenched it in my new favorite lemon tahini dressing (remember the one from the Falafel Salad? SO GOOD.). A little fresh cilantro on top took this dish to the next level and I was a very happy camper.

I made a half batch of the dressing this time around and used garlic powder instead of fresh garlic to reduce the potency of my dragon breath after eating (ha!). If you want to use fresh garlic instead, use one clove (minced) in place of the garlic powder listed in the recipe. If you don’t want to heat up your kitchen by roasting the eggplant in the oven, you can pop the eggplant rounds on the grill instead, which will also add an awesome smoky flavor. Not a fan of cilantro? No problem. Just use some fresh parsley instead.

This recipe makes about four side dish sized servings, but I can’t lie. I could eat the entire eggplant! It’s so good for sopping up that delicious dressing. So, so good.

Roasted Eggplant with Lemon Tahini Dressing - Budgetbytes.com

Roasted Eggplant with Lemon Tahini Dressing

• 1 medium eggplant (about 1⅓ lb.) $2.77
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil $0.32
  • Handful fresh cilantro or parsley leaves $0.30
DRESSING
  • 3 Tbsp tahini $0.61
  • 3 Tbsp water $0.00
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice $0.09
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder $0.02
  • ¼ tsp cumin $0.02
  • ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper $0.02
  • ¼ tsp salt $0.02
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the eggplant into ½ inch rounds.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the eggplant rounds in a single layer on the baking sheet. Use a second sheet if necessary. Use a pastry brush to brush the olive oil over the surface of the eggplant. Bake the eggplant in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes, or until soft and no longer spongey.
  3. While the eggplant is baking, prepare the dressing. Add the tahini, water, lemon juice, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne, and salt to a small blender and blend until smooth. If a small blender is not available, whisk the ingredients together in a bowl. Refrigerate the dressing until the eggplant is ready, so the flavors can blend and the mixture will thicken.
  4. When the eggplant is finished, drizzle the dressing over top and then sprinkle with fresh cilantro or parsley leaves.

Roasted Eggplant with Tahini Dressing plate

Step by Step Photos

Slice EggplantPreheat the oven to 400 degrees. Slice one medium eggplant (about 1 1/3 lbs.) into 1/2 inch rounds.

Brush with OilArrange the eggplant on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Use a pastry brush to brush 2 Tbsp of olive oil over the surface of the eggplant. You’ll notice in the picture that I tried drizzling the oil first (even though I knew better) and the eggplant simply soaked up the oil like a sponge. I then switched to a brush for the second tablespoon and was able to nicely coat the eggplant with oil.

Roasted Eggplant RoundsRoast the eggplant in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes, or until it’s soft and no longer spongy. Eggplant takes on the most deliciously creamy texture when it’s roasted. It’s AWESOME.

Tahini Dressing and CilantroWhile the eggplant is roasting, make the dressing by whisking or blending together 3 Tbsp tahini, 3 Tbsp water, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, and 1/4 tsp salt. Keep the dressing in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it so that it thickens up and coats the eggplant well. Drizzle that deliciousness over the eggplant, then sprinkle with some fresh cilantro or parsley leaves.

Roasted Eggplant with Lemon Tahini Dressing - Budgetbytes.comSimple. Delicious. Elegant.

1. Julie B says:

After making this recipe, I believe I’ve developed an eggplant addiction. As others have noted, you should keep an eye on them while they roast, as cooking temperatures have varied depending upon the size and type of eggplant I’ve used. The dressing is terrific. If there are any leftover (which is rare) they are great in a wrap with the dressing and some feta, lettuce and tomatoes.

2. Kristen says:

Yummy! Made this today- I cooked it for 15 min on one side, then flipped it over and did 10 more minutes, and it seemed if anything a little overcooked. (Also the sauce was way more than we needed.) Next time I’ll cut the slices a little thicker – and get 2 eggplants instead of just one!

3. Delicious recipe!!! I’m going to eat this recipe. very healhy, economic and easy. I’m from Granada (Spain) and I’m interesting in a healhy life. In the South Spain there is how much olives, very good for health. And I congratulations you has use olive oil for this recipe. My page is: http://www.oilandlife.com

4. Our Egyptian friend brought us some pomegranate molasses – if you can get your hands on some and add it to lemon-tahini sauce it makes it out of this world :) This recipe looks delicious – I am going to try your roasting method, since I somehow always manage to screw up roasted eggplant. Fingers crossed.

5. surila says:

My husband just found your website, as we are trying to budget our lives even more..and we LOVE food.

I just tried this recipe.
    First of all it is SO EASY TO MAKE
    Secondly, it was SO delicious. My husband said, it looked and tasted like something that could be served in a restaurant.

I look forward to trying more of your recipes.
    Thanks so much!

6. Samantha says:

I paired this with the Greek Marinated Chicken and Falafel Salad for dinner tonight, and damn was it good! I wish I’d made more, my family gobbled it up, even my very picky sister. I should note though that on my first attempt at baking them I burned a large portion of them – I just stuck them in and left them for 40 minutes thinking it would be OK, because my oven generally runs cold and usually takes an extra 10+ minutes to cook things. Luckily I had bought 2 eggplants because I wasn’t sure if I’d need both, so that one was in for about 32 minutes and it was all good. Thanks for another great recipe!

7. I love eggplant, I can’t wait to try this!

8. Such a great recipe! I must try it out! And great pics :)

9. Yum! Great sauce!

10. Brenna says:

Nice looking side! I was thinking about grilling that eggplant when you said it, and then I thought, “Grill the eggplant, flip it and throw a tomato on it for the last couple of minutes.” That sauce will just brighten everything up! Thanks for the next grilling experience!

11. Wow.. these looks so delicious. Am sure they’l taste that good. I had made something similar but spicy using eggplant. Its roasted eggplant with Indian spices. Have a look:

12. JoannaM says:

I usually love my grilled eggplant with garlic and balsamic glaze but this recipe with tahini looks DELISH- I will definitely have to try! Thanks for the inspiration, Beth!

13. I love eggplant cooked any way and this recipe is a definite must try for me. Drizzling on the tahini dressing sounds absolutely tempting!

14. I’ve never had eggplant like this, but it looks delicious. Tahini dressing is one of my favorites, and it is actually on my to-do list this week. Thanks for the recipe. It will be fun to try something new.

15. If you pureed this coarsely, you’d almost have baba ganouj. :)

• Sharelise says:

DrRandy: You’re right! I thought something about that combo of ingredients seemed familiar. Many times I’ve made tahini sauce just like this for falafel, kabobs, etc; also baba ganouj, and grilled and roasted eggplant in other recipes; just never did this particular configuration. Ok, now I know what to do with my farmer’s mkt eggplant I bought yesterday.

16. Tahini dressing is so good! I need to remember to pick up an eggplant the next time I see a nice one at the grocery store. The grilled version sounds yummy!

17. Jane D. says:

I have all these ingredients at home. May have to try this tomorrow.