4 Year Blogiversary and a New Home!

Finally. Fin-al-ly.

It’s no secret that Budget Bytes outgrew Blogger long, long ago. I was in denial for a few years, thinking that, “hey, this is just a hobby and if Hyperbole and a Half can have a kazillion readers and still use Blogger, so can I.” Apples and oranges my friends. At some point just over a year ago I realized that my content is drastically different and it needed a level of functionality that Blogger just couldn’t support.

It’s been a long, long, road full of trademarks, IP lawyers, and design/migration adventures, but the new website is finally here… and right on schedule with my 4-year blogiversary!

I want to give a quick shout out to all of the amazing people that have made this possible:

John Di Giacomo and the folks over at Newburg Law – they executed negotiations for my acquisition of budgetbytes.com quickly and painlessly. I didn’t want to move the site to any other domain and they made it happen. I couldn’t have asked for better help.

Emily White of Emily White Designs- This amazing woman created the new design, figured out how to organize all of my crazy content into a user friendly and navigable site, and orchestrated the complex migration of ALL of the old material to the new site. It was a HUGE job, but she exceeded my expectations at every turn. She’s an amazingly thorough and professional designer and I feel so lucky that I just happened to stumble upon her work one day. She’s a life saver!

And YOU! – Like I said, this is a hobby, but honestly I would have stopped doing it a long, long time ago if it wasn’t for all of you. The constant encouragement and your wonderful stories of food budget reform inspire me every single day to keep blogging about my food and financial fun. It’s been an amazing and life changing experience and it’s all because of you. Words can’t express.

Take a Look Around:

Here is what you can look forward to with the new site:

Printable recipe cards! You asked and I delivered. Hopefully the new recipe cards will make life much easier for you.

Easier navigation – The drop down menus across the top of the page include the most popular categories. When you click on a category from the drop down menu, you’ll be taken to a visual list of all the recipes in that category. The name of the recipe is displayed when you hover over the picture. A list of all the categories (not just the most popular) can be found in a drop down menu in the side bar on the right.

Better search function – I’m really excited about this one. I’ve been using the search function a lot while preparing for the reveal, and it works so much better than the old search function. If you’re looking for a recipe, this is the best way to find it. You can find the search tool in the very top right hand corner, or at the very bottom of the page on the left.

Pin straight from the posts – One of the most annoying limitations of the old site was not being able to pin photos to pinterest straight from the website itself. You’ll notice on the new website that you can hover over any picture and pin it just by clicking. Easy! Yay! (or you can still visit me on Pinterest)

Of course, there are always sacrifices:

To make the printable recipe cards I had to sacrifice the nice tables that made the ingredient pricing easy to see. The prices are still there, but they’re just in line with the ingredients. Since the prices are just for example purposes anyway, I figured it’s a small price to pay.

Simplified categories – As my content grew, so did the number of categories. It just got kind of out of hand and overwhelming to look through. I’ve simplified the categories and gotten rid of some that were subjective anyway (easy, intermediate, advanced, quick, etc.).

Broken links – There may be some broken links out there on the internet, but we’ve installed a program that will attempt to search for the corresponding post on the new website and take you there. It will redirect you to the correct post/address most of the time, but I’m sure there will still be some issues. Please bear with me, I’ll have to go update all the links on my pinterest site.

And lastly, I’m only about half way through updating the content to match the new format (inserting recipe cards and uploading feature photos), but I’ll be working on that diligently over the next few weeks. I’m working backward through the content, so the newest material (2012-2013) is already golden.

So, take a look around and I hope you enjoy! Budgetbytes.com

1. Congrats! I found your site from do it and how dot com featuring your soft boiled eggs.

2. Jessica says:

The new site looks great. I was concerned when my budgetbytes link didn’t work for a few weeks but very surprised to find an all new website today. I’ve really enjoyed the recipes you post because they aren’t “typical,” you provide a great source of inspiration!

3. I love the new site, Beth! I’m a little late getting over here but Happy Blogiversary! Have a great week and keep the great recipes coming!

Julie @ This Gal Cooks

4. Longtime reader, first-time commenter here–I was a broke college student (just graduated) and your site pretty much saved my butt. :) The redesign looks great!! I’m not a big fan of the new archive layout, though… It’s hard for me to tell what the recipes are. I know I can hover, but it takes such a long time. (I have a touchpad, no mouse.) And I can’t ctrl+F to find recipes I’ve seen before. :( So that’s my one critique. I can’t remember if it was text-only before? I liked…whatever it used to be, though. :)

• Thanks for the feedback! That’s definitely one of the features I’m going to reconsider for the next redesign :) In the mean time, check out the search function. I just upgraded it late last week and it works really well now!

5. derek says:

Hi Beth, new site is great! Just one suggestion – when on a touch/mobile device, you can’t roll over the images on the “category” pages so you have to open each one or guess which recipe it is by the picture. Wondering if it’s possible to list the recipe name below the image?

• I’m going to have to look into that. On my iphone if I just click once the title appears and then if I click again it goes to the recipe page. Have you tried that? I don’t have an ipad to test it out on…

• derek says:

I don’t have any Apple devices so not sure about that but on both Android devices I have (phone and tablet, tried different browsers) tapping the image opens the link to the recipe on the first tap.

6. Beth Cooper says:

Love the new site! I’ve been following Budget Bytes for a long time now and love the new look. I use this site as I have a on going collection of hungry teens at my house. My daughter has developed a delightful habit of bringing home half of the high school band for meals and sometimes the flag kids too. And it’s important to me to be able to properly feed them (no frozen pizza rolls here!) without having them break my wallet, so I always feel that I can easily make room for one more at the table. Thanks!

7. Cindy says:

Wow, I go away for a week and look what happens…your new site is like a party now – so cool and colorful! Awesomeness! Congrats!

8. Marie says:

I had a moment of panic when I clicked my saved link to the Lentil and Sausage Stew and it took me to a different recipe – I mean, how could I live without your recipes to inspire me?! It took me a few seconds to figure out, but the new website looks awesome and it is definitely easier to navigate. Thanks as always for everything you write for us!

9. Your new site looks awesome! I haven’t had much time to look around yet, but I can already tell it’ll be easier to find things. Great work!

10. Love the new digs! So fun, happy, and full of brightness and cheer!

11. Heidi says:

Ack! Finally I can pin! I’ve been waiting for this!

12. Emily says:

Just wanted to share that I love the new design. I’m excited for you to see how much this has grown in the time that I’ve been following along (although rarely commenting).

13. Danielle says:

Love the new crisp look! :)

14. Looks great Beth! Congratulations!

15. Linda says:

Beth!
    First I want to say that I LOVE budgetbytes and have been a HUGE fan since I found it/you a few years ago!!
    I also LOVE the new layout and site!
    I have been going through all of my pins on Pinterest and updating all links on there, but I am missing a go-to recipe that I can’t find on here now!
    “basic balsamic vinaigrette” The only link I came across ( a “you may also like” link) was broken. I hope to see it again soon!

Best,

Linda

• Eek, I think that’s one that I ended up deleting because I felt that it was all wrong (now that I know better!). All I do to make balsamic vinaigrette now is add a half cup oil, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, one clove of garlic, 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard, and some salt and pepper to a blender and press go. You can also add few herbs if you’d like (oregano is nice). I think the old recipe I had way more vinegar than oil, which just makes a watery mess.

16. I *love* the new layout! Everything looks wonderful. Great job, Beth!

17. Jessica says:

I just want to say that both you and your new website are brilliant. I especially love the fact that you included a quick link to vegetarian recipies, thank you!

18. Congrats on the new site! I’ve been a follower for a long time and learned to cook using your instructions. The step by step pictures you provide are so helpful for beginner cooks! Many of your recipes are now family dinner staples. Thanks so much for hard work!

19. Happy Blogiversary, Beth! I love the new site. I again cannot thank you enough for what you do. I am a financial disaster and I’m trying to reign myself in. Your recipes and direction are a huge step forward for me! I’m a (pastry) chef and it’s hard to limit myself to a food budget. You make it so easy! A number of your recipes are now staples here… dragon noodles, teriyaki meatballs, etc.

Keep up the great work!
    xo Meg

20. I have been a fan of this blog for soooo long! It keeps me full during college haha
    Congrats!!
    DLX

21. I know what you mean about the limits of Blogger but man you did amazing things within those limits. Good luck with the new site! Glad to be here with you.

22. Sarah says:

Wow!! Looks great!! Congratulations!!

23. Terry says:

Love, love, love, love your new site. It’s amazing. Congratulations and thank you.