chocolate hummus

Okay, so this doesn’t really have anything in common with hummus aside from the chickpeas, so don’t freak out just yet.

This recipe comes courtesy of one of my wonderful readers, Gazel. When she emailed me this recipe for a chocolate flavored dip made with chickpeas, I was immediately intrigued. I’m not a super chocolate freak, but I like the idea of kicking a sweet tooth with something that has tons of fiber! Plus, it’s made out of ingredients that I usually have on hand, which makes it super convenient.

I bought some pretzels to dip in my choco-hummus, and that was awesome. But then I tried it with the tart green apple and almost died. SO GOOD. You could also make some cinnamon and sugar tortilla chips and turn this into a sort of chocolate nacho type thing. Yum! So many possibilities.

The amount and type of sugar used here are very flexible. Gazel suggested using honey or agave nectar, while I used plain white sugar to keep the price down. Start with 2 or 3 Tablespoons of sugar and add more if you feel it necessary. I liked it super sweet with a full 1/4 cup – call me indulgent! Have fun with this one because you can make it your own!

Chocolate Hummus

chocolate hummus

chocolate hummus

• 1 (16 oz.) can chickpeas $1.29
  • 4 to 6 oz. evaporated milk $1.12
  • ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder $0.16
  • ¼ cup sugar $0.04
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract $0.14
  • ¼ tsp cinnamon $0.02
  1. Empty the entire can of chickpeas into a small pot and simmer over a medium-high flame for 5 minutes to further soften the beans. Drain the chickpeas in a colander and rinse with cool water.
  2. Combine the rinsed and drained chickpeas, 4 oz. (1/2 cup) of evaporated milk, sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and vanilla extract in a food processor or blender. Pulse or process until smooth. Add more evaporated milk as needed until the mixture is an even consistency, but still thick.
Notes
Serve immediately or chill until ready to eat. The chocolate hummus should stay fresh in the refrigerator for approximately five days.

Chocolate Hummus

simmer chickpeasSimmer the chickpeas in their liquid for about five minutes. This helps soften the beans, which will give you a smoother dip. I skipped this step the first time I made this and the dip was just slightly grainier than the batch that I did simmer, but delicious all the same. If you’re in a hurry, you can skip it.

dip ingredientsDrain and rinse the chickpeas. Place them in a food processor or blender along with the evaporated milk, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Start with just 1/2 cup of the evaporated milk and add a tablespoon or two more if needed to make it blend smooth. I happened to have 2% evaporated milk, but I bet full fat evaporated milk would be even yummier.

Chocolate HummusAnd then just process or blend until smooth!! That’s it! Seriously!

Beans really are the magical fruit.

Do you think coconut milk or coconut cream would be an okay substitute here?

2. Anonymous – Ooooh, YES. Coconut milk would probably be amazing! Good thinking!

3. This looks very interesting and I’m definitely going to try. OT – what kind of food processor do you have? Mine has died and yours looks deeper than the ones I’ve been looking at.

4. Barbara says:

so NOT a fan of chick peas – but maybe I will try with white beans as I do with all the other hummus recipes. Thanks Beth!!

5. Lynette – My mom got me this food processor for Christmas a couple years back. It’s not too expensive, not too big, but very mighty! I love it and would highly recommend it!

this looks amazing! I’m gonna try to experiment with the consistency, maybe it could replace nutella in my life lol

7. Katie says:

I made this as soon as I saw your post… It is fantastic! I don’t have apples or pretzels so I’m currently dipping strawberries in it! Too good :)

8. Amanda says:

Love the idea of coconut milk. I’m on a non-dairy thing right now – but would LOVE to try this!

9. I am going to make this tonight for bedtime snack.

10. MMMMM…. this looks sooo yummy! Definitely going to try this ASAP

11. Just made it! AMAZING!!! :) thank you for being so adventurous and coming up with these things!

12. And if, after you boil the beans for a few minutes, you drain and rinse them and peel off the outer layer of the chickpea, the hummus is even MORE creamy. (The outer layer will just pop right off.)

13. This sounds so different & interesting – I MUST try this!

14. Farrah says:

Just want to confirm that you’re talking about evaporated milk, which is not sweetened, and not sweetened condensed milk? Only 1/4 cup of anything sweet doesn’t seem like enough to me.

Not to be picky, but is it 4 oz by weight of evaporated milk? Because 4 liquid ounces would be 1/2 cup instead of 1/4 cup….

16. OMG, you’re right! My bad. 4 liquid ounces. I’ll fix it ASAP. Thanks!!

17. Farrah – yes, regular evaporated milk, not sweetened condensed milk. I found it to be quite sweet with 1/4 cup of sugar, but you can always add more to taste :)

18. Farrah says:

Thanks, Beth!

19. WHAT! This is incredible!!!

20. i love the idea of simmering the chickpeas first..i’ve made chocolate chip hummus & that sounds just the trick to make it even creamier.

Do you think vanilla soymilk would work?

22. Vanilla soy milk probably will work, and you might be able to skip the vanilla extract and reduce the sugar! Just don’t add too much or it will get runny.

Great, thanks! I have lots of vanilla soymilk in the pantry (thanks, Costco!) so I’d rather use that up than go buy evaporated or coconut milk.

24. Looks like Poi.

25. Oh.mmy. Just made this. Eating it with a spoon our of the bowl! I started with a little less of the granulated sugar and added a tad agave nectar which was perfect!

26. I had been planning on making some kind of bean dessert when this post popped up! Great idea. I made my own slightly modified version tonight with black beans instead of chickpeas (I think they have a less assertive bean flavour than chickpeas do), Splenda instead of sugar, 1% milk instead of soy or condensed milk, half a banana to make the texture creamier, and a little bit of instant coffee powder to deepen the flavour a bit. I can’t wait to eat it with fruit for breakfast tomorrow and pretend it’s dessert! I plan to try adding a swirl of creamy peanut butter, too.

27. This sounds so delicious. I am definitely going to have to try this with a little honey, as I got a huge jar for cheap at the farmer’s market recently.

Do you think this recipe would work with white beans (cannelini or Great Northern)?

29. Awesome recipe! My coworkers are seriously scarfing this up. Am trying to drastically cut back on grains and this is a great way to satisfy my sweet tooth and help some of my office mates who have Celiac’s. Thinking about adding some flavored liquors to this whenever a little extra “zip” is needed.

30. Delicious, an unusual combo of chickpeas and chocolates
    I have it on my menu for tomorrow :-)

31. I would never of thought of this but the suggestion of coconut milk has just created my shopping list already.

32. I took this to a potluck yesterday (along with the sriracha hummus) and everyone could not believe that this was a hummus. It was a real big hit! Thanks!

Wow, maybe I did something wrong. I made this for a party this weekend and it was absolutely gross. My hub and I both tried it and hated it, so we didn’t even serve it. The texture was all wrong for us and the flavor was not good either. Totally Bummed.

34. I just made this to take with me to a party, and paired it with pretzels and green apples… and fresh raspberries. AMAZING! Raspberries are the best yet with it! Thanks for the recipe!

35. I LOVE this recipe! It’s one of my favorite things to make…I make it vegan by using almond milk instead, and it’s delicious! I make oatmeal muffins for breakfasts, and they work as an awesome spread for the muffins! :)

36. It looks like diarrhea

37. I also didn’t like the texture. Oh well, other recipes are great… sometimes you won’t like them all :)

38. Patrick says:

If you want and even smoother texture on this or other hummus recipes the dirty secret is to PEEL the chickpeas. You can do this by squeezing the cooked chickpea between your thumb and index finger like if you were trying to shoot a watermelon seed across the room. A small transparent skin will come off and you’ll have the smoothest hummus in the world. It takes about 15 minutes per normal size can of chickpeas and I usually do it while watching TV or something.

39. Traci says:

This is a great way to satisfy my sweet tooth & I like that you can easily vary the amount and type of sweetener, add more cocoa, add other seasonings & have a different taste. My kids tasted it with apple slices & weren’t big fans, but I will be making it for myself to avoid the need to make brownies or something.