mango coconut jasmine rice

I love all things tropical. I love the weather, I love the music, I love the FOOD. I often day dream of a prince charming who owns a jet and insists on flying me to Jamaica every weekend just to sit on the beach, drink rum cocktails, and eat delicious food. Of course, I’m not just going to sit around and wait for that to happen, so I’ll just make the delicious food at home until it does. Ha. Right.

Anyway, I digress.

I’m not huge on desserts but every now and then I crave something sweet. This dessert fits the bill because it’s not super sweet, it’s just subtly creamy and sweet with chunks of sweet mango. Plus, it’s just really pretty.

Normally this dessert would be made with short grain sticky rice, but since I already had jasmine rice (and can’t get enough of that floral aroma), I just used that instead. So, if you’re expecting a sticky mango coconut rice like you’ve had in a Thai restaurant (or in Thailand, for that matter), this is not it. This is just my convenient interpretation of that. Still delicious, if I do say so myself.

Oh, and I’m betting that you might be able to do better on the price than I did here. I’ve bought coconut milk for half that cost before, and sometimes during the summer mangoes go on sale for $0.99 each. Good luck!

Mango Coconut Jasmine Rice

coconut mango jasmine rice

mango coconut jasmine rice

• 1½ cups dry jasmine rice $0.66
  • 1 (15 oz.) can coconut milk $2.38
  • 1 cup water $0.00
  • ½ tsp salt $0.02
  • ¼ cup honey $0.44
  • 1 large mango $1.29
  1. Place the jasmine rice in a medium pot. Rinse 3-4 times with cool water, draining off as much water as possible after the last rinse. Add the can of coconut milk and one cup of water. Place a lid on top and bring up to a full boil over medium/high heat. As soon as it reaches a boil immediately turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 20 minutes (do not remove the lid during this time).
  2. While the pot is simmering, cube the mango. For a step by step image tutorial on how to cut a mango, click here.
  3. After the rice has simmered for 20 minutes, turn off the heat and let it sit, undisturbed, for an additional 10 minutes. Once it has rested, remove the lid and fluff with a fork. Slowly drizzle the honey over top while fluffing to mix it in. Add the cubed mango and stir again. Serve warm.

mango coconut jasmine rice

jasmine riceBegin by placing the dry jasmine rice in a pot. Rinse a few times with cool water or until the water runs mostly clear. You can use the lid to help hold the rice back as you pour out the rinse water. Remove as much water as possible after the last rinse.

coconut milkTo the rinsed rice, add one can of coconut milk and one cup of water. I usually use light coconut milk for my savory coconut rice, but I think the next time that I make the mango coconut rice I’ll use full fat coconut milk to make it more dessert-like. Place a lid on top and bring the pot up to a rolling boil. AS SOON as it reaches a boil, turn the heat down to the lowest setting and let it simmer for 20 minutes. For more detailed pictures of this process, see the Savory Coconut Rice post.

cube mangoWhile the rice is cooking, cube the mango. Mangoes are a mystery to many, many people. So, if you’ve never cut into one before, be sure to check out this picture tutorial so that you get the most flesh off of the little guy.

honeyAfter the rice has simmered for 20 minutes, turn the heat off and let it sit, undisturbed for an additional ten to let it finish steaming. Once it’s absorbed all of the moisture, fluff it with a fork, drizzle on the honey and fluff again to mix it in.

honey coconut riceAt this point you have a creamy, slightly sweet rice that is already delicious. It makes me wonder what other types of fruit would be good in there… pineapple? Stirring in a bit of flaked coconut would probably also be awesome.

cubed mangoAdd your cubed mango pieces…

coconut mango jasmine riceAnd then it’s ready to go. I like this dessert better warm than cold.

mango coconut jasmine riceTotally tropical! Take a little tropical vacay in your back yard this summer ;)

1. johnny108 says:

LOVE IT!
    I leave out the honey, and add shrimp to turn it into a lunch.

2. Taylor says:

I had something similar to this at a music festival a few years ago and fell in love with it, so I was very excited to find this recipe!! I added blueberries to it and it was FANTASTIC! Thanks Beth!

3. Elizabeth L says:

Instead of using mango, could I replace with pineapple and make pineapple coconut jasmine rice? Would the recipe translate well?

I’ve been making coconut sticky rice w/Mango for a number of years as my go-to Potluck offering. If you alter your preparation a bit you can achieve a consistency closer to what you’d get at a Thai restaurant.

After you’ve prepared the rice, set the can of coconut milk to boil with 2/3 cup of sugar… boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly, and then pour it over the rice. Mix well, then cut a piece of wax paper to fit your container and set it directly over the surface of the rice mixture; and let set for 30 min.
    Serve it up with your mango pieces (or in my case it’s setting in a 9×12 casserole dish and then i cover it with chopped up mango just before serving)

I’m preparing to make it this weekend for a Holiday Party, and am considering substituting raw honey for the sugar, but not 100% sold on the idea yet (which is how I found this site).

5. From what I’ve heard and verified from examining labels, light coconut milk is usually just diluted with water but usually sells around the same price as full fat. So you might save a little more by buying regular and diluting it!

6. I grew up with my mom eating mango, rice and salty shrimp paste. This looks much tastier!

I’ve been making coconut rice w/mango for a while now with my own method, usually when I have leftover rice. I tried this recipe last night and the rice turned out delicious and it’s so simple. My husband loves it chilled so I make it the night before and we have it for breakfast. I love it warm or chilled:)

8. I just made this (tonight) and it is delicious! Here’s a thing –

If you want it very sweet and dessert like, try using cream of coconut instead of coconut milk. Now, you’ll have to add about 1/4 cup more water and you should also cook it on low for about 10 minutes more. After the 20 minute mark, take the lid off and mix it to ensure the bottom doesn’t burn.

This recipe’s the bomb dot com!

9. Love this tropical dessert! Looks fantastic!

10. sarah says:

I saw your note about the price of coconut milk. I’m not sure if you have Trader Joe’s where you live, but in Chicago they sell cans of light coconut milk for only 99 cents, everyday! I found it there by accident once and was really glad I did.

11. It looks tasty! I like the way how it is explained with photos!

12. I would eat this for breakfast too. or a snack.

13. Maia – I feel like both quinoa and brown rice have too strong of a flavor for this dish and would over power the subtle coconut and mango. But, you might find otherwise :)

Anon – Most of the recipes I’ve seen for mango sticky rice use a different cooking method. I would suggest doing a google search for a mango sticky rice recipe and following those instructions instead.

Can you substitute the short grain rice to make it like a mango sticky rice as well?

15. This looks awesome!

16. Looks yummy! Do you think this would work with brown rice or quinoa? (those are what I have in the house).

17. thank you, beth! i know it will be fantastic as i’ve made so many of your recipes and they are consistently perfect!!

18. Kristal – It would be nice with something light, like maybe fish or some chicken kebabs :)

19. this sounds wonderful! i admit my ignorance here…what kind of dish/meal would this be an appropriate ending to?

20. Looks delicious!!! So making it this weekend. I absolutely love your recipes, made about 5 or 6 to date.