kale, swiss & tomato pizza

$5.22 recipe / $1.31

When I got this month’s Bon Appetit magazine I realized that it had been way, way too long since I had made pizza. The cover has a beautiful picture of a hand made pizza and touts “Make Pizza Like a Pro.” Of course, I opened that as fast as I possibly could.

I was delighted to find that the pizza dough recipe inside was almost the exact same recipe as the no-knead focaccia that I had been using for pizza dough (see no-knead pesto pizza). But, my pizza dough, as delicious as it is, never turned out like the picture on the magazine cover. So, I made a few small changes per the suggestions in the article.

First, I used only all-purpose flour instead of the all-purpose and whole wheat combo that I usually do. I don’t like sacrificing my whole wheat flour, but I gotta be honest, it does make a huge difference in the texture. The dough was soft, supple, and had fantastic gluten formation, which allowed me to stretch the dough nice and thin.

Second, I actually turned my oven up to 500 degrees. I tried this once before, but it took forever and I didn’t have the patience, so I have been cooking my pizzas at about 425-450. In the back of my head I knew that the oven needed to be as hot as possible, yet I always compromised this step. Never again. Lastly, to make up for the fact that the oven was only 500 degrees and not hotter, I moved my oven rack up to the top third of my oven to try to capture as much heat as possible. Pizzas need to cook hot and FAST.

And that’s how I finally achieved a real, pizzaria type crust. Crunchy and flakey on the outside, chewy but not dense on the inside. It was perfect.

Kale, Swiss & Tomato Pizza

• 1 bunch kale $0.99
  • 2 cloves garlic $0.16
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil $0.36
  • 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning $0.30
  • 2 medium roma tomatoes $0.68
  • 2 cups (8 oz) swiss cheese $2.49
  1. To make the dough, combine 3.5 cups of flour, 2 tsp of salt, and ¼ tsp instant yeast in a large bowl. Stir until evenly combined. Add just enough water to make the dough form a sticky ball with no dry flour left on the bottom of the bowl (about 1.5 cups). It’s better for the dough to be a little too wet than too dry. Let the dough sit at room temperature, loosely covered, for 18 hours.
  2. hours later the dough should be big and bubbly. Sprinkle with enough flour to keep it from sticking as you remove it from the bowl. Place it on a floured surface and divide into three equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball (adding enough flour just to keep it from sticking to your hands). Cover one ball with a damp towel and let rest for one hour. Freeze the other two balls by wrapping in plastic wrap or placing in a freezer bag coated with non-stick spray.
  3. While the dough is resting, remove the kale leaves from the stems and tear into small pieces. Place the torn leaves in a colander and rinse well. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the kale and two cloves of minced garlic. Saute until the kale has wilted. It’s okay if the kale is still wet from rinsing, the water will help steam the kale.
  4. After the dough has rested for an hour, adjust the oven rack begin to preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Stretch the dough into a 14 inch circle and place on a pizza pan prepared with non-stick spray (or corn meal or both). Brush the surface of the dough with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with one tablespoon of Italian seasoning.
  5. Sprinkle ¾ of the shredded swiss on top of the dough. Squeeze the excess moisture out of the kale and add to the pizza. Slice the tomatoes and place on top. Finally, add the remaining cheese and Italian seasoning.
  6. Bake the pizza for 10-15 minutes or until it is golden brown and crispy on the edges. Rotate the pizza half way through cooking.
Notes
The time listed does not inclue the approximately 18 hours needed for the dough to ferment. Start the dough the day before.

Kale, Swiss & Tomato Pizza

fermented doughThis is what the dough looks like after the 18 hour room temperature fermentation. If you would like pictures of what it looks like before this point, check out this post.

divide doughSprinkle the dough with flour so that you can handle it without it sticking (it should be fairly sticky). Place it on a floured surface and divide into three equal portions.

shape doughShape each portion into a ball. Cover the one that you’ll be using with a damp cloth and let it rest for one hour at room temperature. The other two can be frozen for later use. I put each in a freezer bag that I had spritzed with non-stick spray on the inside.

prepare kaleWhile the dough is resting, prepare the kale. Kale tears really easily from its branch-like stems. Tear the leaves into small pieces, place in a colander, and rinse well. Those curly leaves trap a lot of sand!

garlic oilAdd one tablespoon of olive oil and two cloves of minced garlic to a large skillet. Turn the heat on to medium.

cook kaleAdd the rinsed kale. Saute until it has wilted. Stir carefully because it will be really BIG while it is still raw… but it will shrink!

wilted kaleSee, now it fits in the skillet!

stretch doughAfter the dough has rested, stretch it into a 14 inch circle and place on a pizza pan (coat with non-stick spray or cornmeal). Brush the surface with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Also, begin to preheat the oven to 500 degrees and make sure the oven rack is raised toward the top of the oven.

swiss cheeseSprinkle about 3/4 of the cheese over the dough. Save the rest to sprinkle on last.

vegetablesSqueeze the excess moisture out of the kale and add to the pizza. Slice the tomatoes and add to the pizza.

last cheeseAdd the rest of the cheese and Italian seasoning to the pizza.

baked pizzaBake the pizza in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until it is golden brown and crispy around the edges. Rotate the pizza half way through. Every oven is different but at 500 degrees it will cook fast, so keep an eye on it!

kale, swiss & tomato pizza

1. Antonia D. says:

Just made this for a Valentine’s Day dinner for my boyfriend and I. Served it with some white wine. It was great! Never had kale on pizza before but I loved it!

2. Dave says:

I noticed you mentioned that you freeze the other two portions and let the 3rd rest. How long does the dough take to thaw to use it and do you need to let it do a proofing after freezing?

• You can let it thaw and proof in the refrigerator for one day before using (from frozen), or you can let it thaw and proof on the countertop (just until it’s completely thawed through), which might take a couple hours.

3. Kieanna says:

Had this for dinner! One word = AMAZING!!

I was anxious about trying this recipe b/c I would never imagine these ingredients together, especially on a pizza. But it is delicious! Like a fancy artisan pizza you’d get at restaurant, served with white wine. My boyfriend and I loved it. Thanks!

5. Anon – I’m not sure about bread makers, but I do know the ingredient quantities would change quite a bit. The long ferment time allows you to use very little yeast so you’d definitely need to use more with a bread maker. I think your best bet is to find a pizza dough recipe specifically for the bread maker. Sorry I couldn’t offer more advice!

If I wanted to make this dough in my breadmaker (45 min vs 18 hours) any idea how much water to add?

7. Anon – I’m really not sure… At worst it won’t rise because all of the carbohydrates have been spent by the yeast.

I made the dough Friday night, completely slipping my mind partly because it was so simple, and I let it sit on the counter for 32 hours… Any ideas if the dough is still good to use?

9. It’s still delicious! I’m also in love with the crust. I also usually go with a mix of all-purpose/whole wheat flour for pizza dough, but it tastes sooo much better with 100% all-purpose flour!

10. Uh oh, I totally missed the part where I need to saute the kale! Haha oops. I’ve got it in the oven right now, hopefully it’ll still turn out okay.

11. Tomatoes are my absolute favourite pizza topping. And I haven’t tried kale on pizza before… I will be giving this recipe a try!

12. YUMMY! I need to try it! I use a simple Neapolitan one I posted on my blog and a simple Neapolitan homemade sauce that is so so yummy, cheap and easy. I have more of a healthy and crafty blog than an all food blog like here. I LOVE your blog, get your emails, just started following you on pinterest too. I preheat my pizza stone in the oven when I heat the oven to 500. I also cook the dough with out the topping for 5-10 min then just throw on the toppings and finish for 2-3 min. YUMMY! I have to try this dough. My fav recipe of yours is the not meatballs or the asian salad. I LOVE YOUR BLOG! THanks! Kristy from http://www.apronsandapples.blogspot.com

13. So no kneading? You can shape it into that beautiful ball without kneading? I…am excited.

u should have burned it more

15. I’ve never cooked a pizza at that hot of temperature before. I don’t even think I’ve ever cranked my oven that high. Going to give it a go next time I make a homemade pizza!

16. Kat – It’s pretty much the exact same recipe as the artisan bread in 5 minutes, except here you let it ferment at room temp for 18 hours whereas the artisan bread recipe calls for 2 hours at room temp and then refrigerator after that.

17. Love the kale on pizza. I’m trying this over the weekend!

18. The pizza looks delicious.I will try to cook it.

19. samuelg says:

I didn’t have time to use the pizza dough recipe posted here, so I cheated and used the part-whole wheat and part-white flour one you posted before. It was great! I added some thinly sliced mushrooms to the kale and garlic sauté and it couldn’t have been a better topping. I’ve never really eaten kale but it really changed my mind about using it more! Thanks for the great recipes!

20. I just made this with several variations (spinach instead of kale, half white wheat flour and mozz/provolone instead of swiss) but it was AMAZING! I can’t wait to make this actual recipe with the rest of the dough

21. Brilliant! I’ve been on the look out for kale recipes to use what I have in the garden, this will be perfect. Thanks.

22. I saw thanks for all the tips on the crust! I have the mag but apparently did not read it well :-)

23. Your pizza looks so yummy and healthy at the same time! I love your descriptive pictures. These are such easy guidelines to follow. I am definitely going to make it this weekend. Thanks for sharing! Can’t wait to try it!

24. Has anyone tried artisan bread in 5 minutes? Do you know if that recipe would make a good pizza dough?

25. I have been craving pizza ever since recieving March Bon Appetit in the mail! You have just convinced me to make pizza sometime this week.

26. I would try to let it go at least 12. It will still work with a shorter time, but the longer it goes, the better the gluten formation :)

How necessary is it to let it rest for the full 18 hours. I’ve made your other pizza recipe a few times and have always let it rest only 8-10 hours. Thanks!

28. This looks really amazing. I’ve followed your pizza dough recipe in the past with great success, but those steps don’t seem too tough to make even better pizza dough. Thanks for this, my favorite pizza toppings are tomatoes and spinach, but kale seems like an even better idea!

29. Yum! I can’t wait to try this!

30. Looks amazing! I love kale, and am now looking forward to trying this!