saltine toffee candy

$4.63 recipe / $0.23

Someone recently asked me for more desserts… Although desserts aren’t normally part of my routine, I’ve had this one up my sleeve for quite some time.

This is a dessert that my mom used to make us when we were kids. It’s easy, only has a few ingredients, and is insanely good. We used to make it with just plain chocolate on top but I had some coconut in my pantry so I decided to throw it on there. I’ve also seen people top this with pecans or walnuts.

This dessert is so addicting because it’s the perfect mix of salty and sweet. The salt from the tops of the crackers mixed with all of the brown sugar in the toffee is oh so good. Then there is the texture… The toffee soaks into the flakey crackers when it bakes and creates this incredible, lofty, crunchy texture. It’s amazing that so few ingredients can make something so good… It’s a seriously dangerous dessert!

Saltine Toffee Candy

saltine toffee candy

saltine toffee candy

• 1 sleeve (approx. 40) saltine crackers $0.30
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter $1.49
  • 1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar $0.32
  • 1 (12 oz.) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips $2.15
  • ½ cup shredded coconut (optional) $0.37
  1. Line a baking sheet with foil. Arrange the saltine crackers in a single layer on the baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In a medium pot, melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat. When the butter begins to melt, give it one stir to combine the brown sugar and butter. Continue to heat the mixture, without stirring, until it comes to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, set a timer and let it boil for three minutes.
  3. After three minutes, carefully pour the mixture over the saltine crackers. If needed, gently spread the mixture with a butter knife until all of the crackers are covered. Place the toffee covered crackers in the oven and bake for 6 minutes.
  4. After six minutes of baking, turn off the oven and carefully remove the baking sheet. Once the bubbles subside, sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the top. The heat from the toffee should begin to melt the chips. Place the baking sheet back in the warm oven for 1-2 minutes or until the chocolate chips are glossy (this means they are melted). Spread the melted chips over the surface with a spatula or butter knife.
  5. If topping the chocolate with coconut or other nuts, sprinkle them over the melted chocolate and gently press them in. Allow the candy to cool at room temperature until hardened. Break the candy into pieces and EAT!

If you live in a warm climate and the candy won’t completely cool, allow it to come to room temperature and then put it in the refrigerator. Do not put it in the refrigerator when it is still hot because the chocolate will cool faster than the toffee and they will separate.

saltine toffee candy

saltinesFirst arrange the saltines on the baking sheet in a single layer. You don’t need to spray the foil with non-stick spray because there is enough butter in the toffee to keep it from sticking (just don’t think about that when you eat it). Also, begin to preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

butter and brown sugarNext, begin to heat the butter and brown sugar in a pot. When the butter is mostly melted, give it a stir to mix the brown sugar and butter. Then allow it to come to a boil (without stirring) over medium heat.

boil sugar butterIt should look like this when it begins to boil. As soon as it comes to a full boil, set a timer and let it boil for three minutes. This is toffee

toffee on crackersAfter three minutes, carefully pour the toffee over the crackers.

bake toffee crackersNext, bake the toffee covered crackers in the 400 degree oven for 6 minutes. This further hardens the toffee. It will be bubbling like crazy.

baked toffee crackersAfter 6 minutes, carefully remove it from the oven. It will be bubbling and VERY HOT.

chocolate chipsOnce the bubbles subside, sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over top. Place the tray back in the oven (oven is turned off but still warm) for one or two minutes or until the chocolate chips turn glossy.

spread chocolateThen use a spatula or butter knife to spread the melted chocolate evenly over the top.

coconutIf you’re going to top the chocolate with coconut or nuts, sprinkle them on top when the chocolate is still melted then gently press them in.

cool candyAllow the candy to cool to room temperature (this is the HARDEST part) so that the toffee can harden. Use the refrigerator at the very end if needed. Once the toffee has set, you can break it into pieces and eat!

saltine toffee candyMmmm… look at that toffee soaked cracker!

1. OMG. Drooling into my keyboard is really not a good idea. You should really warn a girl before making her read a recipe like this. ;-)

So excited to have this one!!! I’ve tried this before and it never turned out — maybe now with the directions (and pics) I can do it! Thanks!

3. Woah! This sounds like such an amazing late night snack attack treat to whip up and dazzle people with.

4. i’m drooling into my keyboard too! fantastic idea!

I had a version this at a work event made with roasted pecans instead of coconut and matzos instead of saltines during passover as an “unleavened” dessert…it was mind-blowingly fabulous!

6. Oh, hey, we used to make a layered version of this! We call ‘em Kit-Kat Bars. :D

7. I have a friend that makes these and I call them CRACK cookies. Seriously good enough to make me consider a life of crime as I line my pockets with them surreptitiously.

I also call it Crack! And at Christmas I put crushed candy canes on top, so good!

9. This totally reminds my of the “matzah crack” we make on passover. Never thought to make it all year round!

10. Woah, these look like they could be seriously habit-forming…

11. OH OH OH!!! SKOR BARS!!!
    my mom used to make these ALLLLL the time when I was younger. anytime there was some sort of school baking to do, she’d whip a few batches of these up. She would skip the oven for the toffee and she melted the chocolate in the microwave, but nearly an exact recipe.
    She could whip up a half dozen trays of these in just an hour and a bit with me helping.

I’ve seen these referred to as “cracker” toffee as in toothless wonder…LOL.

13. LOVE this stuff! I make it with matzo during Passover and call it “matzo crack,” because it’s so good it’s addictive!

14. A friend once made something similar to this and it was fantastic! Can’t wait to try it!

15. Oh man does this sound good. I have serious doubts that I’d be able to stop myself from eating the entire batch at once though.

16. Something my Oma makes that is super tasty, as well as easy and cheap!, are ritz cracker cookies. Put a thin layer of pb between 2 ritz crackers, then coat them in chocolate. Even though these recipes aren’t really close, it reminded me of it because of the crackers :D

17. thrify teach mom says:

I am not the best baker so I make these during the holiday season. I omit the coconut and instead use my favorite nuts on top. Everyone goes crazy over it!

18. I just made these for a potluck at work. Pretty sure I’m going to need to make a second batch to make sure there’s any left to actually take to work… Very good and very simple!

19. Jami says:

They’re sitting on the counter cooling right now. That is the hardest part, just like you said!!

made them this weekend, they were so good, I’m making another batch today!

My mom used to make this for us too! She used graham crackers instead of saltines though, they were delicious.

22. My step-mother makes this for the holidays, minus the coconut. It is such an easy recipe, and so addictive!

23. Just made this, minus the coconut…. SO. GOOD.

24. making these today. had a devil of a time with the chocolate chips. They just wouldn’t melt. Put them on a double boiler and then poured the melted chocolate over the toffee crackers. topped with coconut and toffee bits. can’t wait to try them. :)

YUM! I made these! and they were AMAZING! Very Easy and diverse snack with very little ingrediants! The directios were great! The pictures helped a ton!

26. These look AMAZING! I’d love for you to stop in and add any Budget Saving Recipes to my brand new weekly link up “Budget Saving Recipes” http://budgetsavingmom.com/2011/12/04/budget-recipe-linky-oreo-coke-cake/

Thanks! Rene

Tried these last night & honestly cannot stop eating them. I used Christmas sprinkles on top & coconut. Hard part for me was cutting them from the tinfoil. I’m sure parchment paper would have worked better. SO SO good. Awesome butter toffee.

28. Prince Edward County says:

Tried this today, following the directions to a tee, and they turned out perfect! Sooo good!

29. How would coconut oil work instead of butter or perhaps half and half?

• Hmmm, I’m not sure. I think as long as the sugar mixture is properly heated, it should still harden regardless of what type of fat/oil is used, but I haven’t tried it.

30. Leighanne J says:

I made these with crushed candy canes on top for Christmas!! They turned out perfectly!!! Everyone loves them!