Becker BBQ Shrimp

The last time shrimp was on sale, I found this fantastic recipe for Becker BBQ Shrimp in my Joy of Cooking cook book. Luckily, SHRIMP IS ON SALE AGAIN! This time, I got it for $5.99 per pound; headless, peeled and deveined. It was a little more expensive than the last time but, hey, it was already peeled and deveined so that saved me 10-15 minutes. I grabbed two bags, one of which I used for this recipe and the other is in the freezer already earmarked for another recipe! Anyway, this BBQ shrimp is super spicy and full of flavor. I put it over a bed of rice to soak up some of that wonderfully potent sauce, beef up the serving size and balance out the serving cost. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of beer but if you don’t have any or don’t want to buy it, you can simply substitute another 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Luckily, I had just purchased a 6 pack of Raspberry Wheat Ale the night before (clearance price at $3.99!) so I used that. The raspberry flavor was awesome with the spices, similar to how a raspberry barbecue sauce or raspberry salsa would be. The meal its self goes WONDERFULLY with an ice cold beer so… you might want to spring for a 6 pack!

Becker BBQ Shrimp

• 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes $0.05
  • 1 tsp paprika $0.05
  • 1 tsp whole peppercorns $0.05
  • 1 tsp salt $0.05
  • ½ cup chicken broth $0.23
  • ½ cup beer $0.42
  1. In a medium pot, bring 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of water to a boil with a lid. Once it reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low and let simmer for about 40 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
  2. While the rice cooks, combine all of the dry spices (rosemary, oregano, crushed red pepper, paprika, peppercorns and salt) in a small food processor, coffee grinder or blender. The goal is to grind the mixture into a powder. My small food processor wasn’t quite powerful enough to pulverize the spices but the dish still turned out great, whole peppercorns and all.
  3. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and ground spice mixture. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
  4. Turn up the heat to medium/high. Add the shrimp, stir and cook for 2-3 minutes more or until all of the flesh on the shrimp has turned white and the tails have turned pink. Remove the shrimp from the skillet and place them in a bowl as soon as they are cooked (this happens quickly) and save for later.
  5. Add the chicken broth and beer (or just 1 cup broth) to the skillet and let it simmer with the spices for another 2-3 minutes or until it has reduced by half. Add the shrimp back in to warm them through. Place some rice in a bowl, top with 5-6 shrimp and spoon some of the sauce over top. Garnish with lemon and parsley if desired. Enjoy with an ice cold beverage!

**I just thought about how good this would be if you made the sauce into a cream sauce. Just add a little bit of half and half to the sauce at the end (just before returning the shrimp to the pan). The creaminess would balance the hot spices wonderfully!

Becker BBQ Shrimp

BBQ spice mixPulverize these spices as best as possible!

Butter, garlic and spicesMelt the butter then add garlic and the spice mix.

cook spicesCook the garlic and spices to release the flavors.

add shrimpAdd the raw shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes more.

cooked shrimpThe shrimp will be all curled up and white with a nice pink blush when they’re done.

add broth and beerRemove the shrimp and add the chicken broth and beer. Simmer until it reduces by half. Add the shrimp back in to warm them up then serve over a bed of rice.

Becker BBQ Shrimp

1. bambooroof says:

Just made this recipe. I put sriracha on just about everything and found this to be overwhelmingly spicy. I added peanut butter, honey, and half n half to tone it down. It’s still almost inedible. I’d make it again, using thyme rather than rosemary and reducing the red pepper flakes by half.

2. Alex says:

This is one of the tastiest things I’ve made from Budget Bytes, and believe me, I’ve made a lot. Only little addition: I added a little flour at the end to thicken up the sauce. I served with a little but of roasted asparagus and subbed quinoa for rice. Seriously to die for!

3. Jeri Ann says:

Loved this spicy, easy, delicious dish! This is a true keeper. Shrimp is pricey, but I everything else is super affordable, and was already in my pantry. I used an apricot beer and thought it was great. I was even thinking this recipe is worthy of a dinner party.

4. I hate to be the first to say this, but we did not like this recipe. The flavor profile didn’t taste right. Definitely the type of beer you use will play a big role, which I suspect was part of our problem. But even before the beer was added the spices didn’t seem to meld well. The flavors were stuck in some sort of limbo. I ended up having to do a lot to fix the flavors but even then we didn’t finish our meals. However I was able to save the rice for the taco chicken bowls, so that was nice.

Even if it was mainly the beer’s fault, I probably won’t try making this again.

5. I have gone through this blog. I found it very interesting and helpful. Nowadays I am doing an online job from home only. And this blog really doing great for me. This blog also offers me more ideas and advices concerned to my job.

6. Thanks for sharing the bbq chicken recipes and you know the best thing about the recipes blog is that they are easy to understand and we can apply it on the spot after buying stuff required in cooking.

Recipes For Bbq

7. I am saying agian happy i found your place this shrimp dish is so so delcious looking.

I just made this for my boyfriend and it was so good! Thank you for the recipe- it’s definitely a keeper!

I’m new to cooking and about totry this dish. I just wanted to commend you on the way your present your recipe. The pictures are very nice for someone like me. I will be checking out ALL of your recipes! Great work!

10. This has become one of my go-to meals. It’s delicious and SO easy to make. (Although I never have beer, so I always substitute some dry white wine, which works just great.) And is especially good with your savory coconut rice. Thank you!

I made this last night, was very delicious, everyone loved it. Left out the beer, dried rosemary, and used a mortar & pestle instead of a food processor.

12. My wife made this today. She cut the spicy factor down and we enjoyed it. Also, you have Rosemary in the ingredients list and Thyme in the photo. My wife used Thyme.

13. The reason you want to go through the trouble of removing then adding the shrimp back in is because shrimp cooks very quickly and can become over cooked just as fast. If you leave it in as the broth simmers it will get very tough and they will shrink down in size quite a bit. You might then ask yourself why not just add them at the end? Well, if you do that you will essentially be poaching the shrimp (because of all of the liquid) rather than sauteing the shrimp in just the butter/spice mixture. It is doable but it will have a slightly different texture. Hope that helps :)

What is the advantage/reason for cooking the shrimp and then removing them before adding the broth? Especially since you just put the shrimp back in again…

By the way, i love the site and have been slowly trying more and more of your recipes.

i just made this for my friends tonight. great dish. a little too peppercorn-y but i would just cut back if i made it again. i had the same problem that my food processor didn’t really mash it up. i used a mortar and pestle which helped somewhat.

16. i’ve never had non-alcoholic beer so i’m not sure what kind of flavor that would give it. i say give it a shot if that’s what you have on hand. The spices are so powerful that you might not notice the difference!

17. this looks super delish!! love the way u write… :)should the beer be alcoholic or non-alcoholic?